MilkyWay@Home Project

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:52 pm

From Dave:
Haha yes, its actually completely ready and I think Travis has the apps up. We're just working on getting the web server to redirect the page correctly.
Although no word on ATI apps from Cluster or Gipsel.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Es99
Collected Member

Post by Es99 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Labbie wrote:Saw you changed your name at MW Esme. It's just too bad that "you know who" can't leave you alone.

MW is down right now, maybe project separation is at hand...
I don't have a graphics card on this PC, so maybe Team Troll will go to the GPU project and leave the other behind...

...nah. Can't see it somehow.

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 pm

milkywy_gpu default project pages are up. It is also possible to register but so far no guarantee that you will keep the user ID you get as the project could be reset at any time :)

Once the GPU project is officially running,will our team automatically be registered? So far we don't appear in a team search, and I don't know whether I should be waiting for it to happen automatically or if I should wait for KM or someone else to register it?

Also, will we be treating it as a separate project (ie with a separate thread), or will they be the same project, from the teams point of view?
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
E6750 (2 * 2.67GHz o/c to 3.52GHz)
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:21 am

I don't know the answers to those questions, and KM is currently experiencing internet connection issues and Buga has mostly been absent over the last couple of weeks, so...

If the team doesn't exist when you register for real, create it, post here that you did, and be prepared to turn it over to KM once he gets registered. This has happened on other projects.

And as far as I'm concerned, we can keep this thread for both the CPU and the GPU projects, no need to split.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:39 am

From the MW-GPU homepage...
http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway_gpu/
Almost There!
April 16, 2009
We're working as fast as we can!
[smilie=wav.gif] [smilie=wav.gif] [smilie=wav.gif]

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:02 am

Labbie wrote:I don't know the answers to those questions, and KM is currently experiencing internet connection issues and Buga has mostly been absent over the last couple of weeks, so...

If the team doesn't exist when you register for real, create it, post here that you did, and be prepared to turn it over to KM once he gets registered. This has happened on other projects.

And as far as I'm concerned, we can keep this thread for both the CPU and the GPU projects, no need to split.
I'd agree with Labbie...I think that's spot on for what KM would say in the matter.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:16 pm

I saw last night that KM and Buga had both created accounts and that the team has been made.

Kind of a waste of time IMO, since I think Dave and Travis are going to wipe that DB one last time Sunday night before they go live.

But yeah, I created an account anyway. :smt023

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Labbie wrote:I saw last night that KM and Buga had both created accounts and that the team has been made.

Kind of a waste of time IMO, since I think Dave and Travis are going to wipe that DB one last time Sunday night before they go live.

What, you mean I have to stay awake all night Sunday night just to get a low numbered user ID (I'm sure that's the latest challenge :) )?
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:58 pm

debs3759 wrote:
Labbie wrote:I saw last night that KM and Buga had both created accounts and that the team has been made.

What, you mean I have to stay awake all night Sunday night just to get a low numbered user ID (I'm sure that's the latest challenge :) )?
If it's that important to you. :smt015

Personally, I wouldn't mind letting all the Big Boys get in on the first day, and then come in later so I have a better chance being #1 on my start date. :smt038

Besides, we're not even sure that Travis' CUDA app will work or that Gipsel and Cluster will get/have gotten/willin be havin gotten :smt017 pre-release code to convert. It could be a week before we see an ATI app.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:52 am

Labbie wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't mind letting all the Big Boys get in on the first day, and then come in later so I have a better chance being #1 on my start date. :smt038

Besides, we're not even sure that Travis' CUDA app will work or that Gipsel and Cluster will get/have gotten/willin be havin gotten :smt017 pre-release code to convert. It could be a week before we see an ATI app.
"It'sJustLikeDisRightHere"
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

-Gen. George S. Patton

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:07 am

Labbie wrote:
debs3759 wrote:What, you mean I have to stay awake all night Sunday night just to get a low numbered user ID (I'm sure that's the latest challenge :) )?
Actually no, it's not that important. Hence the smilie (or do I have to click an icon and have a pictogram in order to show when I am joking about something?).

I was actually taking the mickey out of those who have got competitive about it. The only reason I am user ID #12 on the GPU project is because when I happened to check the project and saw the basic pages were there, it just happened to not be long after the project had been reset. There was no planning, and will be no planning when the project starts (and if it is reset).
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:28 am

Dark Angel wrote:"It'sJustLikeDisRightHere"
Wow, you actually watched those?

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:00 am

Labbie wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:"It'sJustLikeDisRightHere"
Wow, you actually watched those?

Ya, if you'd have kept quiet I would have likely sent some money...course you'd have had to come and pick it up...you know...cause I's gots to gets me some religion...you know it did actually take me till the second one to realize that the guy was a comic...then it was really funny.

-Gen. George S. Patton

Chris S
Collected Member

Post by Chris S » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Guys, sorry I've not been around for a couple of weeks. I've hardly got any MW work on about 9 machines. I'm assuming the GPU guys are pinching it all?

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Probably more about the script guys than the GPU guys. :smt023

Sshhhh.

Chris S
Collected Member

Post by Chris S » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:13 pm

Yes I know about the scripts being used, and it hammers the servers so I'm not going to use them. As soon as they get the Cuda GPU app running I'll stop MW CPU work altogether. In fact on some of my slower machines I can get a higher RAC over at Nqueens.....

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon May 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Front Page News!!!
Assimilator/Validator Back Up
May 18, 2009
Looks like the assimilator and validator is back up and working. Let us know if you have any problems.

Assimilator/Validator not working
May 18, 2009
I'm working on the assimilator and validator right now so hopefully I'll have them running shortly. Except a large news update this week by wednesday -- our CUDA application is almost working so it should be out by then. I'm just doing some last tests before I put out the alpha code for everyone.
--Travis

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue May 19, 2009 1:13 am

19 May 2009 AEST:

I'm working on the assimilator and validator right now so hopefully I'll have them running shortly. Except a large news update this week by wednesday -- our CUDA application is almost working so it should be out by then. I'm just doing some last tests before I put out the alpha code for everyone.--Travis

Looks like the assimilator and validator is back up and working. Let us know if you have any problems.

The reason we went down today a few times was that there were power outages on campus while they were doing things to the electrical system. Hopefully things should be up and running smoothly now.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue May 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Another Power Outage
May 19, 2009
There's another power outage today at 4PM EST, which will bring the server down again. I'll try to get it up and running right after the power comes back.

Power Outages (Continued)
May 19, 2009
Looks like the power is going to be out until tomorrow morning with another outage tomorrow afternoon. I'll post more information as we know about it.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 pm

I guess the power outage finally started. :smt011

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed May 20, 2009 8:25 pm

The web site is back up, but the feeder isn't running so no reporting and no downloads.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 pm

CUDA Application Update
May 20, 2009
Looks like I've finally gotten the CUDA application working. I'm in the process of cleaning up the code, and it should be available for you to play around with tonight. It's my first crack at a CUDA application, so it's a bit rough, but currently it's crunching the current stripe 82 WUs in around a minute using a GeForce 9600M GT. I'm sure there's quite a bit more optimization we can to do get it running even faster, as this is the first version and not optimized at all. Part of the reason this has taken so long was that I was doing quite a bit of testing comparing double and single precision math on the GPU. I've come up with some schemes that will allow us to use older graphics cards which don't support double precision math (like the GeForce I've been using); which should let a lot more of our users be able to use the GPU application. More news later when I post the code.
--Travis

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 22, 2009 1:27 am

CUDA Application Alpha Release
May 21, 2009
I've released a preliminary version of the CUDA application in the code release directory. For more detail, there's a forum post here. This should run on the same test samples, however I'm having some issues getting a working makefile/build script using both BOINC and the CUDA libraries, so if anyone has some knowledge about how to do this it would be really appreciated.

CUDA Release v0.02
May 21, 2009
I missed a couple files in the previous release, so theres a v0.02 in the code release directory now.

If you're interested in the gory details & discussion, see the threads below.

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... php?id=861

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... php?id=862

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... php?id=858

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sun May 24, 2009 1:46 am

24 May 2009 AEST:

I updated another version of the GPU code. It should have the evaluation directory now.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue May 26, 2009 1:40 am

26 May 2009 AEST:

I've updated v0.04 to the code release directory. This should work correctly with the compile script. The next steps on our to-do list are getting checkpointing working correctly for it (i'm pretty sure its not working), and compile time specified single or double floating point precision. In the next couple days I should get the milkyway_gpu forums up and running and some test work units available.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:40 pm

01 Jun 2009 AEST:

I've updated the code to v0.05 and its in the code release directory. I've combined the linux and osx makefiles into a single makefile, which can also compile the GPU applications. I've included a new (faster) kernel with this release as well. As always, the new code is for discussion in the following forum post and I've also started a thread for makefile discussion.

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:44 pm

You're up late Gavin.

(aren't you? I get confused when it's more than about 6 hours difference).

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 am

02 Jun 2009 AEST:

Looks like the gpu code release was missing yet another file. I've updated the v0.05 code and it really should work this time :)

I've increased the minimum sendwork time server side to 1 minute (this might be a bit high for some of our GPU clients so if it is let me know). I'm hoping this should increase work availability for everyone, so let me know how it works.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I was up late. Just before midnight when I posted that. Another 15 minutes or so and I would have had to put it down as the 2nd...

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:50 am

03 Jun 2009 AEST:

I broke the server doing some updates to get our new astronomers running their new searches. It should be back up shortly.

Looks like I fixed the problem. Things should hopefully be running smoothly again.

Here is a post relating to the new ps_sgr_208_* runs you may have been seeing and the Sagittarius Geometry that makes them different. ( http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... php?id=881 )

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:17 pm

If you're using the current ATI app, you need to update it so your ATI card can run the "_3s_" WUs. The new vesion is 0.19f.

Link here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-168 ... I.zip.html

The new version reports GPU or wall time instead of CPU time, a nice change.

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:13 pm

10 Jun 2009 AEST:

I made a little update to the search progress forum thread. You can now see how the searches are progressing here.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:42 pm

11 Jun 2009 AEST:

Nate finished up his PhD thesis and we've made it available here. Its also in our publications section. Thanks everyone for your help!

If you look below the news, the plots describing the progress of the different searches we're running is now on the main page. They're updated every five minutes.
Last edited by Gavin Shaw on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:09 am

Anyone who has taken a break from MW because of the not getting wu's. They have been back to 100% in sending out wu's for the last 24 hours or so. Just wanted to let you all know.

Rick

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:11 am

Buga, I was going to post that info last night, but decided I might be able to get a jump on you if I didn't. :smt023

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:14 am

Labbie wrote:Buga, I was going to post that info last night, but decided I might be able to get a jump on you if I didn't. :smt023
LMAO. I had about the same thought. :smt019 Well and I wanted to make sure to give it some more time and make sure it was working first.

Turn off my scripts last night. And they seem to have kept busy all night.

Rick

Return to “MilkyWay@Home”