Enigma@Home Project

User avatar
Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist
Posts: 2178
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:13 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Enigma@Home Project

Post by Buga1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:13 am

Anything related to Enigma@Home.

Enigma@Home Homepage

Description:
Enigma@Home is a wrapper between BOINC and Stefan Krah's M4 Project. 'The M4 Project is an effort to break 3 original Enigma messages with the help of distributed computing. The signals were intercepted in the North Atlantic in 1942 and are believed to be unbroken.'

Team attach: Calm Chaos
Enigma@Home - BoincStats

Project = Active | WU Availability = Constant | WU Time = Short

Rick

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:55 am

Okay, I'll christen this one, lol... Calm Chaos has passed 'Team Sambuca' and has jumped to 111 (okay... didn't need many credits to do that) and is on the way to catching up to 'Collectors of Old Fishing Tackle'... only need to double the credits we have, lol, not much I'm afraid.

@DA: Ewww, did you have to, in the general chat... I used to see the name 'Collectors of Old Fishing Tackle' and think of a bunch of old fishermen sitting around saying '... back in the day...' talking about old fishing tackle... now it's just the old fishermen talking about old fishing tackle... someone should hit you DA... :smt075

@Daniel: the optimised app on the PentM seems to be working really well, about 20% time saving on the first return... yeah, before someone says it, I know, more units better comparison... haven't tried it on Peanut, but of course anything Linux is going to give me a headache, I just know it...

@Everyone else: I'm thinking I know where my vote for January POTM is going, lol...

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:26 am

purplemkayel wrote:Okay, I'll christen this one, lol... Calm Chaos has passed 'Team Sambuca' and has jumped to 111 (okay... didn't need many credits to do that) and is on the way to catching up to 'Collectors of Old Fishing Tackle'... only need to double the credits we have, lol, not much I'm afraid.

@DA: Ewww, did you have to, in the general chat... I used to see the name 'Collectors of Old Fishing Tackle' and think of a bunch of old fishermen sitting around saying '... back in the day...' talking about old fishing tackle... now it's just the old fishermen talking about old fishing tackle... someone should hit you DA... :smt075

@Daniel: the optimised app on the PentM seems to be working really well, about 20% time saving on the first return... yeah, before someone says it, I know, more units better comparison... haven't tried it on Peanut, but of course anything Linux is going to give me a headache, I just know it...

@Everyone else: I'm thinking I know where my vote for January POTM is going, lol...
:smt043 I warned you didn't I...you didn't have to look :smt043
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:02 am

Yeah, yeah, warnings, hmmff... well, I'll be real, real happy when we pass them, lol.

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:06 am

purplemkayel wrote:Yeah, yeah, warnings, hmmff... well, I'll be real, real happy when we pass them, lol.
we will
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
Enigma
Keeper of the Calm
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:27 am
Location: OZ!

Post by Enigma » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:00 am

Are you guys talking about fishing tackle or wedding tackle.... LOL (dare i ask!?)
Belief gets in the way of learning.

[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s62/enigmachaos/calmbnecromonger.png[/img]

User avatar
Red Atomic
Lord of the Avatar
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:21 am
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Post by Red Atomic » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:56 am

I love a good Mass debate, really gets the blood flowing.
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/redatomic/ClownCC2.gif[/img]

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Enigma wrote:Are you guys talking about fishing tackle or wedding tackle.... LOL (dare i ask!?)
Retired tackle :smt075 you too...

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Red Atomic wrote:I love a good Mass debate, really gets the blood flowing.
:smt075

Grumble, grumble, grumble... I'll go back to my linux now...

User avatar
Red Atomic
Lord of the Avatar
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:21 am
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Post by Red Atomic » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:41 am

purplemkayel wrote:
Red Atomic wrote:I love a good Mass debate, really gets the blood flowing.
:smt075

Grumble, grumble, grumble... I'll go back to my linux now...
Sorry [smilie=oops.gif] , I'll go to the naughty corner.
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/redatomic/ClownCC2.gif[/img]

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:45 am

lol, Red...


... a little over 200 credits to go to pass the fishy ones.

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:59 am

:smt026 Boincstats has Calm Chaos at #101 now :smt026

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:08 am

:smt026 #97 at Enigma@home :smt026

The fishy ones are behind us now, thank goodness... now looking for the next goal, lol...

User avatar
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:27 am
Contact:

Post by Knightmare » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am

Ya know...I honestly think that we could get to the #1 spot there....may take a little more than a month though.

But think about it....Calm Chaos the #1 team....56 members!!!!
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Image
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Image

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:02 pm

... and if Enigma manages first place again... that would be too funny... Enigma in #1 possie in #1 team at Enigma@home :smt003

:smt026 We are at #84 now... nice to see some others giving Enigma@home a go too.

... Gosh, my next goal was going to be 'Great Dark Horde', but it looks like we're going to pass them tommorrow, lol... after that I was going to take us after BOINC@Denmark' at #73, but that barely seems a challenge anymore...

... so my next mini-goal is... 'X Grubbers Kick Ass' currently at #62...

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:22 pm

Now I felt the need to provide some information for anyone considering Enigma@home...

Progress bar and Time to Completion...
... not working...
Enigma@home will calculate 'to completion' but when running this time won't change, either will 'Progress' percentage (it will jump from 0-100 percent when unit is finished... the 'CPU Time' does work... this bug is something to do with the Boinc wrapper that they are using.

Optimised Applications...
... Thank you, Daniel, for finding them... :smt023
Experimental Optimized App

Enigma@home applications...
Currently Microsoft Windows (98 or later) running on an Intel x86-compatible CPU, Linux running on an Intel x86-compatible CPU, Mac OS X 10.3 or later running on Motorola PowerPC, Mac OS 10.4 or later running on Intel
Applications
Note: running happily on Peanut 'my little AMD' running Linux.

User avatar
Enigma
Keeper of the Calm
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:27 am
Location: OZ!

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:00 pm

purplemkayel wrote:... and if Enigma manages first place again... that would be too funny... Enigma in #1 possie in #1 team at Enigma@home :smt003

:smt026 We are at #84 now... nice to see some others giving Enigma@home a go too.

... Gosh, my next goal was going to be 'Great Dark Horde', but it looks like we're going to pass them tommorrow, lol... after that I was going to take us after BOINC@Denmark' at #73, but that barely seems a challenge anymore...

... so my next mini-goal is... 'X Grubbers Kick Ass' currently at #62...
You just got my vote... LOL :smt045
Belief gets in the way of learning.

[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s62/enigmachaos/calmbnecromonger.png[/img]

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:28 am

Enigma wrote:
purplemkayel wrote:... and if Enigma manages first place again... that would be too funny... Enigma in #1 possie in #1 team at Enigma@home :smt003

:smt026 We are at #84 now... nice to see some others giving Enigma@home a go too.

... Gosh, my next goal was going to be 'Great Dark Horde', but it looks like we're going to pass them tommorrow, lol... after that I was going to take us after BOINC@Denmark' at #73, but that barely seems a challenge anymore...

... so my next mini-goal is... 'X Grubbers Kick Ass' currently at #62...
You just got my vote... LOL :smt045
I thought you might like that, lol...

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 am

From Enigma@home home page
News
December 2, 2007 Mac Intel/PPC apps
Lars Bausch has compiled both enigma and wrapper for MacOS running on Intel and PowerPC CPUs. There are some minor issues with these apps, but returned results are valid. Please report any problems on message boards.
As far as Boincstats is concerned there are only 10 hosts running Darwin... and none of them are in the top 100 hosts.

I found one Mac... posted on the message boards. One of the extra bugs, oops minor issues, seems to be that the time taken doesn't record... couldn't find out how long the units are taking on the one Mac I found and I'm not going to go looking for the other 9, especially if I can't find out how long the units are taking anyway...

Anyone with a Mac feel like doing a bit of experimentation for me? :smt003

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:03 am

:smt026 Calm Chaos is now at #79 according to Boincstats :smt026

... at the current rate we will catch 'X Grubbers Kick Ass' in about 12 days... small, I know, but fun :smt002

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:57 am

purplemkayel wrote:From Enigma@home home page
News
December 2, 2007 Mac Intel/PPC apps
Lars Bausch has compiled both enigma and wrapper for MacOS running on Intel and PowerPC CPUs. There are some minor issues with these apps, but returned results are valid. Please report any problems on message boards.
As far as Boincstats is concerned there are only 10 hosts running Darwin... and none of them are in the top 100 hosts.

I found one Mac... posted on the message boards. One of the extra bugs, oops minor issues, seems to be that the time taken doesn't record... couldn't find out how long the units are taking on the one Mac I found and I'm not going to go looking for the other 9, especially if I can't find out how long the units are taking anyway...

Anyone with a Mac feel like doing a bit of experimentation for me? :smt003
Ok you got my slow Mac on the project now...I'll let you know how it does
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:27 am
Contact:

Post by Knightmare » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:16 am

How ' slow ' is slow?? Especially considering what you have elsewhere....lol
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Image
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Image

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:58 am

Hey, I'm happy whatever it is, lol... thank you DA :smt003

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:52 am

Knightmare wrote:How ' slow ' is slow?? Especially considering what you have elsewhere....lol
733Mhz but it's about as fast as a equally equipped 1.5Ghz PC of course it's sharing with SETI...but it will do.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:06 am

I couldn't ask for more... again, thank you DA :smt003

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:13 pm

:smt026 Calm Chaos is at possie #62... so long 'X Grubbers Kick Ass' :smt026

... rather than chasing a team this time, I think we aim for the top 50 now? any thoughts?

User avatar
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:27 am
Contact:

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:26 am

Sounds like a plan to me.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Image
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Image

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:00 am

:smt026 #60 :smt026

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:29 am

I do like a good mystery...

Link to relevent thread from Enigma@home forum
It's definitely a tough one - previous two were broken in just few weeks, this one took already lots of CPU time and it's still unbroken. Maybe its an 'offizier' (double encrypted) message, which probably couldn't be broken with current software, or it's too garbled or has too many missing letters to decrypt. We won't know until it's broken.
In some cases, the Germans using double-encrypted messages (offizier). I read that transformed the message with a specific codebook and then crypted with enigma. So with the current client is impossible to decrypt a message double-encrypted :(. This case will have a particularly important content :).

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:27 am

:smt038 Calm Chaos has now moved to possie #50... read it again, folks possie #50 :smt038

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 am

TJM wrote on the Enigma@home message boards:
At the beginning of February I'm moving to a place where my access to the internet (and probably amount of free time) will be very limited (yes, there are such places in Poland ). I guess that (at least for first few weeks) my cellphone + gprs will be the best connection I'll be able to get there.
That means I'll have to suspend the project for some time, because I can't just leave the servers up and hope that nothing will crash/fail while I'll be hundreds of kilometers away without any way to fix problems.
Around 26th January I'll stop the workunit generator, then I'll wait for results to return. The server software will be moved to a temporary location (same hosting where project's http reverse-proxy and download mirror is running atm), where I'll be able to keep it online without worrying about hardware failures or longer power outages; however it will remain suspended for at least few weeks, until I'll get any decent internet connection.
I don't know (yet) when I'll be back, I'll post an update on this around mid Feb.

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:15 am

Have I mentioned our ranking lately, lol. I think Sarge has been keeping a closer watch than me :smt003

Possie #33

User avatar
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:27 am
Contact:

Post by Knightmare » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:02 am

purplemkayel wrote:TJM wrote on the Enigma@home message boards:
At the beginning of February I'm moving to a place where my access to the internet (and probably amount of free time) will be very limited (yes, there are such places in Poland ). I guess that (at least for first few weeks) my cellphone + gprs will be the best connection I'll be able to get there.
That means I'll have to suspend the project for some time, because I can't just leave the servers up and hope that nothing will crash/fail while I'll be hundreds of kilometers away without any way to fix problems.
Around 26th January I'll stop the workunit generator, then I'll wait for results to return. The server software will be moved to a temporary location (same hosting where project's http reverse-proxy and download mirror is running atm), where I'll be able to keep it online without worrying about hardware failures or longer power outages; however it will remain suspended for at least few weeks, until I'll get any decent internet connection.
I don't know (yet) when I'll be back, I'll post an update on this around mid Feb.
So does this mean that we should reconsider using it as a long term project???
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Image
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Image

AC
Compulsive Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: It's hot

Post by AC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 am

purplemkayel wrote:Have I mentioned our ranking lately, lol. I think Sarge has been keeping a closer watch than me :smt003

Possie #33
Excellent. We're at 13 over at the Enigma team stats page. That keeps us on the first page. :smt004

User avatar
purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist
Posts: 793
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am
Location: Australia

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 am

Lol, okay A/C and Sarge and who knows who else is keeping a better watch than me, lol.

That's cool, A/C, I had no idea our RAC was up there!

I think I'll do the unthinkable and change all my resource shares until they stop handing out work... less than a week, sniff.

Post Reply

Return to “Enigma@Home”