Short Story. Only post for the continued story.

For Sci-Fi Short Stories & More.
Dances with Werewolves
Chaotic Member

Short Story. Only post for the continued story.

Post by Dances with Werewolves » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:25 pm

OK, here's the game, take what I have started and add to it with each person adding their twist lets see where the story goes. This is only a game and is not meant for publishing anywhere other than this forum.

If the story gets to a place of finalization everyone who contributes can write their take on how it should end. Don't revise the previous authors entry just continue where they left off and let's see how far we can take it.
Anyone adding to the story may want to post their intent to add the next part so no two people will be working on it at the same time but it isn't madatory.
[url=http://allprojectstats.com/showteam.php?id=125048][img]http://allprojectstats.com/ts125048a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://allprojectstats.com/showuser.php?id=122105][img]http://allprojectstats.com/s122105a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.unitedboinc.com][img]http://www.unitedboinc.com/news-sig/Black-1-14noqs-4g4s8w.png[/img][/url]

Dances with Werewolves
Chaotic Member

Post by Dances with Werewolves » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:25 pm

Start

“It’s 3 o’clock, what are you doing up?” States a concerned woman still sleepy yet awakened by her husband’s unusual nighttime movements about the darkened bedroom.
“I had another bad dream;” he states exhaustively bent over with one hand outstretched to steady himself against the dresser, beads of sweat still seen glistening on his brow through the darkness.
“The same one John?” His wife inquires while sitting upright within the usually welcome confines of a large bed.
“Yes,” he continues; “I wish I had never taken this job, the matrix is just too unstable and we are years away from our first safe test.” “Bill is pushing us to enter full discharge phase and we are nowhere near a safe test.” John continues, “I want you and the kids to go to your Mother’s house in the morning.” Interrupting him his wife states, “I can’t leave now, I’m in the middle of a project presentation to a client at work.”
“Jenny,” he interjects sternly; “you have to go I can’t protect you or anyone for that matter if Bill gets his way tomorrow and I don’t want you around when this test goes bad.”
Jenny now concerned for her husbands safety asks, “what will happen to you if you can’t control the output.” “I am hoping,” John explains; “that it will cause a grid overload and shutdown but if that doesn’t happen the generator may load out of control causing a quantum discharge distorting or even rearranging molecular structure for miles and it would most certainly mean devastation to the town.” “Bill believes,” he continues; “any discharge will be thrown out harmlessly into space and the science just doesn’t support this hypothesis.”
John emerging from a bathroom doorway where he had taken the opportunity to wash his face during the conversation heads to a closet door once again giving his wife instruction to leave. He pulls from the closet several brown suitcases, which he places on the bed now vacant of Jenny who now is in the bathroom dressing.
John tells his wife, “I want you to pack what you need for you and the kids and stay at your Mothers until I contact you.” Jenny thinking only of her husband now tells him; “John you don’t have to do this you know, come with us, I want you to come with us.” John knowing all too well that Bill left to his own authority would undoubtedly proceed without hindrance and he tells his wife, “I must discourage this test while I can and my absence would jeopardize the lives of everyone living here.”
Last edited by Dances with Werewolves on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:26 pm

Meanwhile, across town, at a Lab complex that would make the Joint Chiefs grin like cheshire cats, Bill is pacing his office. "Dam it Admiral, we are behind schedule as it is and I will be damned if I am going to let John hold us back anymore. I have shown you and the other directors that the Matrix will hold and the worst that can happen is that the Ion Phase Inducer would burn out."
"Now Bill, lets not get yourself all worked up again, I agree with you." Said Admiral Fitzpatrick. The Admiral, siting in his office at the Pentagon, reading the latest information that Bill had sent over yesterday by carrier was of like mind to Bill but had bigger people to answer to."I can see where John might be comming from but we are reaching the end of our budget and we need to show some progress. As long as I have your assurances, then I authorize you to proceed." Bill, heaving a large sigh say's "Thank you Admiral, you won't forget it. We will be having a toast later today, you will see. Bill out."
With that, Bill hit the disconnect on the teleconfrence. "Sharon!" Bill yells. "Get in Here!"
Sharon comes running into his office, "Yes boss" she said rather sheeplesly.
"What time does John usually get in?" Sharon say's "About 9 this morning I believe."
"O.K. then, that gives us about 1 1/2 hours till he's here, get down stairs and round up whoever is around and lets get this dam project into the black!. I want that Matrix up before 9 this morning!"

Dances with Werewolves
Chaotic Member

Post by Dances with Werewolves » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:26 pm

John Staimler a man once considered within scientific circles to one day be the successor to Newtonian mathematical architecture and who would one day receive the Nobel Prize for his novel new theories in Quantum Mechanics and time-matter reorganization. Time would in fact change the focus of his work, against the will of his employers, from the explorations of those theories mindlessly empowering a few to destroy many, into a more egalitarian archetype to benefit all of humankind.
John Staimler, the non-stereotypical wiz kid grew up not in the information rich depths of any metropolis nonetheless, his thirst for and often ethereal understanding of how the physics of this world truly govern all physical reality did eventually developed into his Relational Scientific Theorem. It wasn’t until his 14th year that he was discovered on that farm living only with his parents within the remote areas of North Dakota. Dr. Timothy Beeman a visiting PhD on sabbatical from MIT who had come to measure the affects upon the local ecology years of rocket fuel mismanagement by the government and who was the person that initially recognized John’s gifts.
What Prof. Beeman had discovered one day while visiting the local General Store was an order of books lying about on the quaint, wooden counter next to the cash register the likes of which may be found within the collections of a mathematician’s postdoctoral library. Surprised on seeing this he casually inquired to whom the yet undelivered set of new books now belonged and he set out to find this kindred mind in hopes of visiting a college so far from his home. It wasn’t until happening upon the youth that he came to realize his find, embodied within this pubescent child now working to clean manure from within the small barn’s open stall. It was Prof. Beeman, in recognizing John’s gift that day, who gave John his first and best chance at a future scientific career yet indirectly enabling the situation he now fights to stop.
Convincing John’s parents to part with him the Professor returned with John to MIT. Over time carefully having prepared the now young man of twenty-three, having aided in his development the Professor had given humankind the one best chance to reach out and touch other galaxies possibly traveling to them and a goal now theoretically provable within his lifespan. Even as John’s own goals also unmistakably self-guided toward the development of intergalactic travel as the greatest use of his abilities, the fact his continued research alone could not keep food on the table and drove him to look for lucrative work. It was during his final year at MIT John met and married Jenny Cochran, a lovely young woman who had finished her final year at Berkeley just prior to John’s final dissertation, majoring in business administration she returned to her childhood home and was just beginning her new life when she met John and the two fell deeply in love. For this reason alone, John allowed himself to entertain offers from several different organizations in order to provide for his new wife. One of these organizations was none other than a front agency for the Department of Defense known only to the public as project Enigma. Seeing only that he and his new employer were, on the surface, striving to achieve the same goals, John did join on that fateful day not knowing that from that time forward he would never be allowed the freedom from the clutches of his new employer to ever again pursue his own research uninhibited.

Brian
Chaotic Member

Post by Brian » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:47 pm

As John ponders the circumstances that have brought him to this point in his life, a loud honking comes from behind him.
"Dam, got to keep my mind on the road". A very impatient geriatric driver in an old Cadillac is seen in the rear view mirror gesturing or at least that’s what it looks like, John thinks. "hmm, I see a steering wheel, a little bit of white hair, horn rimmed glasses, and the finger. "I have a feeling this just isn't going to be my day."
As John pulls into the parking lot at Enigma, John chuckles to himself as he looks at the indiscreet sign, "Amazing, my ancestors in Germany created the first Enigma and I'm here trying to stop it". Oh well, John thinks, this is a far cry from the original Enigma machine and its intended purpose to give the British code breakers bad heartburn..
As john gets out of his car, he gets a weird feeling in his feet. "My god, the ground is vibrating. That son of a bitch has already started".
John races to the front door, as he enters, Carl, the 60-year-old guard who seems to never leave the front desk, jumps up out his Chair. "Dr Staimler sir, I've been told you’re not to enter son". Carl say's with his usual scolding father like tone.
"Carl, your a good man but why don't you do us both a favor and go back to the crossword or whatever you do", John exclaims! "This is bigger than me and whatever orders you've received, if you know what’s good for you I would start considering early retirement and leave now!"
John races down the hallway and gets into the elevator. John fumbles for his key's looking for the one that will override the regular controls, and take him down 5 levels. He finds it and inserts it in the keyhole and turns it to the desired location. The elevator moves slower than John would like as it makes its way down. "I can feel the vibration getting stronger" John mumbles in an angry tone.
At last the final "Ding" John has been anxiously waiting for and the elevator stops. John takes a large breath of air and awaits the door to slide open...
"Oh my God"
"When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football."

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:37 am

Hey TL!!! Whatever happened to you keeping this area updated????
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Brian
Chaotic Member

Post by Brian » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Suddenly, Johns feet whip out from under him, as if the center of gravity has just shifted from below to directly in front of him. "Shit" yells John as he grabs for the edge of the doorway to the elevator. "Oh my God", as john now peers between his feet and see's what can only be described as a large wormhole emanating from the center of the room. He looks to his left and see's Sharon, Bill's assistant, also hanging on to a wall mounted fire extinguisher. John yells "Sharon, are you OK?" Sharon, with a look of pure terror yells back "Do I look like I am OK? Help me" she cry's. I look around for something I can hold onto to possible get to her but I am loosing my grip, "Oh god, this can't be happening." I look at Sharon as I am pulled from my spot at the doorway and I can see the shock on Sharon's face as I am pulled ferociously towards the wormhole. "this is it" I think and
then blackness.
"When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football."

ashes of lovers
Calm Member

The story continues!

Post by ashes of lovers » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Consciousness returned to him in fits and starts. He felt the warmth of the sun on his face, and cool, sandy soil beneath him. Slowly, John opened his eyes, squinting at the bright light overhead. He became aware of the sounds of water lapping at the shore, and the clean, green smell of lake water.

In a rush the memories returned. The gaping, unnatural maw in the floor. The pitching sensation as the very foundations of the building were rocked. John sat bolt upright, his heart racing, gasping for breath. He stared around wildly, his mind grasping for context in his strange new surroundings. He staggered to his feet, whirling round, eyes searching frantically for something, anything familiar.

He stood on the shore of a broad, shimmering lake. Behind him, a sweeping plain of grass unrolled as far in every direction as he could see. Something caught his eye further down the beach, a glimpse of bright blue against the dark sand.

“Sharon,” he said quietly. He ran towards the still figure and dropped to his knees next to her. She lay sprawled on her stomach, her head turned to one side and pillowed on her arm. Her short brown hair fanned across her cheek.

John lay his fingers against her throat. Her pulse was strong and steady, and he sighed in relief. At a cursory glance, she seemed to be uninjured. He could see no cuts, bruises, her limbs appeared straight and whole. Except for her tousled hair and a few superficial scrapes on her face and hands, Sharon might have been taking a peaceful nap on the shore. He reached unthinkingly to smooth her hair.

*Don't touch me, John.*

He heard her voice, her tone was commanding, so much so that he stopped dead in mid-reach. And yet, impossibly, Sharon lay still on the ground before him, her eyes closed, her lips unmoving.

Dances with Werewolves
Chaotic Member

Post by Dances with Werewolves » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:57 am

Interesting!

DWW
[url=http://allprojectstats.com/showteam.php?id=125048][img]http://allprojectstats.com/ts125048a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://allprojectstats.com/showuser.php?id=122105][img]http://allprojectstats.com/s122105a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.unitedboinc.com][img]http://www.unitedboinc.com/news-sig/Black-1-14noqs-4g4s8w.png[/img][/url]

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:18 pm

Dances with Werewolves wrote:Interesting!

DWW
DWW!!!! Where you been?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Return to “TimeLord's Corner”