What's up

A place for new members.

Drogmar
Cool Member

What's up

Post by Drogmar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:03 pm

Just saying hello. Been lurking around for a few days reading through the massive amount of conspiracy theories, funny stories and general good natured banter that goes on here and decided to join up.
seti@home seems to be having some problems at the moment so joining the actual Calm Chaos crunching team is a bit delayed, but it should get sorted out eventually.
Anyhow, :smt023

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:12 pm

Welcome to the forum Drogmar, glad you like it and feel free to post anything of interest to you. You`ll be very welcome joining the team crunching any of the projects Calm Chaos is attached to which is probably all of them.
Welcome again and thanks for dropping by. :smt006
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Bird-Dog-1/spitfire2.png[/img]

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Re: What's up

Post by Knightmare » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Drogmar wrote:Just saying hello. Been lurking around for a few days reading through the massive amount of conspiracy theories, funny stories and general good natured banter that goes on here and decided to join up.
seti@home seems to be having some problems at the moment so joining the actual Calm Chaos crunching team is a bit delayed, but it should get sorted out eventually.
Anyhow, :smt023
Is Seti the only project you run? We are set up on somewhere around 50 projects, so we are just about everywhere. :-)

If you only run Seti, well, we welcome you to the team there ( once they get the problem fixed...lol ).

Welcome to the forums. We're glad you chose to join us. :smt023
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Welcome Drogmar. SETI is just down for the regular weekly time right now, but they did say it could be a little longer than normal this week.

Check back there in a few hours.
Last edited by Labbie on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Drogmar
Cool Member

Post by Drogmar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:05 pm

Yeah I only run seti currently. I ran CPDN for a while but those WU's take fooorever on my old Athlon 64 here. Whenever I manage to build a quad I'll run some other things.
I did notice some strife about seti not analyzing their work or some such, but for my limited resources (read : POS outdated computer)...I don't know, I feel that's where I need to be. If there were some distributed computing I could get into that would get us a colony on the moon or Mars more quickly or stop nuclear proliferation or bring world peace I'd be on that instead.
Somehow I just don't feel that finding a new star or curing a disease will further humanity in the way finding evidence of ETI would.
Perhaps this is an ignorant view, feel free to enlighten me.

Edit : There's a lack of a join button on the Calm Chaos team page over at seti since (at least) yesterday, independent of their servers being down for maintenance. Haven't thought to check other team pages, I'll do that when they come back up.

Edit 2 : I'm on the team! Wooo, RAC 244 inc to Calm Chaos!

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Howdy Drogmar. Good to see ya. :smt023 Glad everything has worked out for ya. Sorry to hear all the problems you had. But it is the fitting "Calm Chaos" way. LOL

See ya around the site.

Rick

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:24 am

Drogmar wrote:Yeah I only run seti currently. I ran CPDN for a while but those WU's take fooorever on my old Athlon 64 here. Whenever I manage to build a quad I'll run some other things.
I did notice some strife about seti not analyzing their work or some such, but for my limited resources (read : POS outdated computer)...I don't know, I feel that's where I need to be. If there were some distributed computing I could get into that would get us a colony on the moon or Mars more quickly or stop nuclear proliferation or bring world peace I'd be on that instead.
Somehow I just don't feel that finding a new star or curing a disease will further humanity in the way finding evidence of ETI would.
Perhaps this is an ignorant view, feel free to enlighten me.

Edit : There's a lack of a join button on the Calm Chaos team page over at seti since (at least) yesterday, independent of their servers being down for maintenance. Haven't thought to check other team pages, I'll do that when they come back up.

Edit 2 : I'm on the team! Wooo, RAC 244 inc to Calm Chaos!
Actually, the strife about them not analyzing data has been alleviated a bit because they finally got NtPckr up and running. It's not doing a whole lot of data checking ( relative to the amount of data that needs to be checked ) but at least now they are showing a good faith effort to show us that we weren't just crunching for the sake of crunching.

Our team never has ( and never will ) make any demands on which projects our members run or don't run. Every project is important to one person for reasons that may have another person running something different. It's part of being an individual, which is what this team is all about. :smt023

Welcome, officially, to the team. :-)
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

zerocool
Collected Member

Post by zerocool » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:48 pm

hello and welcome to you drogmar :smt023 totally well said km :smt023
[img]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/zerocool-/ZEROCOOLCAMP.gif[/img] [url=http://allprojectstats.com/showuser.php?id=1266255][img]http://allprojectstats.com/su1266255h27--2-0.png[/img][/url] [img]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/zerocool-/4cu7bpx.jpg[/img]
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night. Ginsberg.

Return to “New Members Q&A”