Forever the Odd Man Out

A place for new members.

dougdegraw
Calm Member

Forever the Odd Man Out

Post by dougdegraw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Well, as I stated in the New members blurb - my name is Douglas DeGraw, if you are into meanings of names it becomes - Douglas {from the dark waters} Charles {man} DeGraw {of the Gray} - makes me The Gray Man from the Dark Waters. But now I think that's getting too deep so let's move on :smt002

I've know MzSnowleopard on several boards, and have also gone by the nom de plume of Mystic Jester due to my beliefs and my unending habit of trying to turn just about everything into a punch line. :smt039

A little bit about me, personally. I'm coming up on 42 years old. :smt089 I am a System Communication Technician for Southern California Edison. I work in our Telecom Control Center on graveyard shift (6 pm - 6 am) so you will likely see me posting at odd hours. :smt119 [smilie=armata_pdt_35.gif] I served in the Army from 1988 through 1995 and went to the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm. Unfortunately I was chaptered out of the Army due to personality disorders that were exacerbated by my experiences there. It was still an honorable/medical discharge though. [smilie=willy_nilly.gif] I am married and have three children (girl 17, boy 15, boy 13). We live in Orange County, CA.

Politically, I am never easily categorized. I have strong conservative leanings on many topics such as illegal immigration, but equally strong liberal leanings on others such as same sex marriage. I take each topic as I see it, and it does take a lot to change my mind, but it can be done. :smt011

A little bit more about me theologically. I was born, baptised, raised and confirmed a Roman Catholic. But for several reasons decided to leave that faith and went on a faith journey. I explored all the other variations of Christianity, but was never satisfied with the answers or practices. I then moved on to the Older religions. Even when I was a Christian, I was always affected by Nature, and somehow always meeting more and more people of a Pagan Bent. This came to a head in Advanced Training in the Military where my closest friends ended up being two witches and a Druid. So now I identify as a Pagan with strong Wiccan leanings. [smilie=gve.gif]

Well I think I've rambled long enough, the floor is now open to questions and comments.
[smilie=wav.gif]
Love to stay and chat, but can't ...
Got this thing ... Well, four things really ...
Well, four things and a lizard.

purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist

Re: Forever the Odd Man Out

Post by purplemkayel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:58 am

Nice to find out who took all my medals in the arcade... back to third place :smt011 Did I really leave Buga with that many? Eight? :smt044

Anyway, welcome aboard, Douglas :smt026

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 pm

The beauty of this place is that being the 'odd man out' means that you'll fit right in around here' Douglas. I started the team because I, myself, was one. We don't get as much traffic here as we ued to. But it's still a nice, relaxing place where you can get away from a lot of the crap you see on other forums. It is always good to have a place where you can post thoughts and opinions without some doofus chiming in with an insult or blatant disrespect. That's what were all about. Enjoy:-)

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Uh oh, PM. Looks like you're gonna have some work to do to get all those medals back. lol

dougdegraw
Calm Member

Post by dougdegraw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:32 pm

purplemkayel wrote:Nice to find out who took all my medals in the arcade... back to third place :smt011 Did I really leave Buga with that many? Eight? :smt044

Sorry about that PM, those kind of in board games are a little addictive - but I would appreciate the competition. :smt026

dougdegraw
Calm Member

Post by dougdegraw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Knightmare wrote:The beauty of this place is that being the 'odd man out' means that you'll fit right in around here' Douglas. I started the team because I, myself, was one. We don't get as much traffic here as we ued to. But it's still a nice, relaxing place where you can get away from a lot of the crap you see on other forums. It is always good to have a place where you can post thoughts and opinions without some doofus chiming in with an insult or blatant disrespect. That's what were all about. Enjoy:-)
When I have some time - I'll review some of the older threads to catch up - maybe a revival of a few will get the traffic back up a bit.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:26 am

Possibly. Even if it didn't, there were some pretty good threads that have faded away. It would be interesting to see another perspective brought into them. Ya know...one thread I might suggest would be the most recent one posted by Susan in the Religion section. Interesting stuff. Just a thought.

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:41 pm

dougdegraw wrote:
purplemkayel wrote:Nice to find out who took all my medals in the arcade... back to third place :smt011 Did I really leave Buga with that many? Eight? :smt044

Sorry about that PM, those kind of in board games are a little addictive - but I would appreciate the competition. :smt026
Perfectly alright, Douglas :smt019 I'll test what drain the games have on my new (small) internet plan, then I'll see about winning some back. The arcade is always more fun when there's people challenging you :)

@ KM... You, Sir, have a query to answer on twitter!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:06 pm

I haven't checked the Twitter account in a couple of days. Thanks for letting me know. :-)

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm not seeing the query, PM. I went back through six days worth of stuff on the page. Can you tell me how long ago it was?

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm

The reaper scared it away!! That took away all my fun :smt107

It's dated 19 Feb for me, so it might have still been 18th for you.

(I'll stop hijacking Douglas's introduction now) *blush*

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:20 am

Ok. I still couldn't find the tweet...but the pic you grabbed of it allowed me to post a reply. Thanks, PM. :-)

MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder

Post by MzSnowleopard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:32 am

Glad to see ya made it here Doug. I too got a missive about losing my trophy in the arcade. If I didn't have these chapters to finish I'd be killing your butt. :p
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Return to “New Members Q&A”