Changing Programs

Everything BOINC. Projects, Milestones, BOINC Software, Etc.
Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

General Boinc Chat

Post by Buga1 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:10 pm

If you have a question or a comment about Boinc itself, Post here. If question or comment on a Project, please use the projects thread.

Rick

stvenkng
Collected Member

Changing Programs

Post by stvenkng » Wed May 09, 2007 10:27 pm

I just recently joined Team Calm Chaos and have been running SETI until the great meltdown. Today I decided to run Einstein until Seti is back up but it does not recognize my team affiliation. Must I rejoin under Einstein to get credits for the team or is there something I can do without that. I went to "my account" but the only recourse I was given was to rejoin under this program. Any help will be appreciated.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Re: Changing Programs

Post by Knightmare » Wed May 09, 2007 10:33 pm

stvenkng wrote:I just recently joined Team Calm Chaos and have been running SETI until the great meltdown. Today I decided to run Einstein until Seti is back up but it does not recognize my team affiliation. Must I rejoin under Einstein to get credits for the team or is there something I can do without that. I went to "my account" but the only recourse I was given was to rejoin under this program. Any help will be appreciated.
From what I understand, you need to choose the team on each project that you choose to attatch to.

As far as I know, your team affiliation doesn't follow you to other projects. That's why I had to set the team up on all 30+ projects that we are attatched to.

* edit * Here is the Join page for Calm Chaos on the Einstein project. Join Here * edit *
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Wed May 09, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi StvenKng, welcome to the team. Yes you do have to join the team for each project you are attched to. Go to your Einstein account page and do it from there. Your name won`t appear on Einstein (calm chaos) until you return a work unit. Hope this helps. :smt006

*edit, cross post with KM*
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Bird-Dog-1/spitfire2.png[/img]

stvenkng
Collected Member

Post by stvenkng » Wed May 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Done, thanks for the assist.......

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu May 10, 2007 3:13 am

stvenkng wrote:Done, thanks for the assist.......
No problem Steven. :-) That's what we are here for.

@ Bird Dog...no problem on the cross post. At least we know someone would have answered had I not been able to. Multiple answers ( even if they are the same ) is always better than no answers at all... :smt023
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:08 am

I've gone to the homepages of a lot of these projects and boy do I feel dumb! Is there somewhere I could go to find out what they're doing/about that I could understand???
Live On, Marines!

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:48 am

ramchaza wrote:I've gone to the homepages of a lot of these projects and boy do I feel dumb! Is there somewhere I could go to find out what they're doing/about that I could understand???
On the home pages click on 'message boards' and have a look at the threads in there. You can usually find info there or just ask in here, someone will answer. :smt023

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:45 pm

I'll do that! Thanks!
Live On, Marines!

Pawly
Canadian Ambassador

News And Updates

Post by Pawly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:33 am

KM has asked that I post this link, so don't get the undies in a bunch! lol

http://teamcanada.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=195

I'll update it as much as possible.

EDIT - I forgot, you will need to register to read at Oh Canada! but I talked it over with KM and he will update you folks regularly.

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited by Pawly on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Isn't sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean that's all you get. Rational thinking!

But when you're good and crazy HAHA THE SKY'S THE LIMIT!![/size]

[url=http://teamcanada.freeforums.org/][img]http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq117/PawlyNV/pawly-sig.png[/img][/url]

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:41 am

Due to some technical difficulties....I will transfer the messages from that thread here.

These are messages from Dr. David Anderson. He is one of the lead administrators for the BOINC projects.

Dr. David Anderson wrote:
First, I hope you think of your team as a BOINC team, not a SETI@home team.
SETI@home is one of about 30 projects using BOINC.
Please make sure your team is present on all of them,
and track your team's total credit, e.g.:
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_t ... pr=bo&st=0

What we're all doing is much bigger than SETI@home.
We're changing the way scientific computing (and therefore science)
is done, and we're reconnecting the public to science.
SETI@home appeals to science-fiction fans; that's a limited population,
which we've probably already reached most of.
But doing research in genetic diseases, or studying the environment,
has much wider appeal - potentially tens or hundreds of millions of people.
We need to reach these people.

Is SETI@home still doing important research?
Yes - to some extent. Every couple of years
we improve our algorithm or our data source, increase our sensitivity a little,
and extend the range of what we could possibly detect.
But we're scanning a limited part of the sky - about 1/3 of it -
and listening in a very limited frequency range.

Other BOINC-based projects are doing fantastic research.
What's more important than figuring out how serious a problem
global warming might be?
ClimatePrediction.net is arguably the most accurate predictive source
we have, and has publications to prove it
(see http://www.economist.com/science/displa ... id=9433721)

After 4 centuries of studying the universe by observing
electromagnetic waves (light, IR, radio)
we now (in the last year) have a new window: gravitational waves.
The first-ever "observatory" of gravitational waves is using
Einstein@home to figure out what they're seeing.

These are two examples - the list goes on.

The bottom line: if your members are negative about SETI@home,
encourage them to look carefully at all the other BOINC projects.
I think they'll find something to be positive about,
and to get them excited about volunteer computing again.

-- David

Also.......

A couple of weeks ago I participated in a chat-room
event hosted by UK BOINC Team,
and among other things we brainstormed about how to
spread the word about volunteer computing.
As with everything else, our main resource is volunteers,
so we tried to think "grass-roots" approaches.

Mass-media publicity is always important.
Neither BOINC nor any BOINC-based project has gotten much recently.
We decided that our first target should be computer magazines;
in particular, we should encourage BOINC users to write letters to
the magazines in their country, and get them to write about BOINC
(or about volunteer computing in general, or about a specific project).

We put together a Wiki page with a list of computer magazines
in many countries, and suggestions for how to contact magazines:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/BoincPr
People should update this web page if they contact a magazine
(to avoid duplication of effort) and should add new magazines.

This is an area where team leaders can really help,
by mobilizing your members to participate in this effort.
See if any of your members have public relations experience;
they would probably be more effective.
If you can get a magazine to publicize your team, so much the better.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions about this effort,
or about PR in general.

-- David

And....

A general question I'd like to ask this group:

What software features (web, client, or other)
can BOINC develop that would be useful for teams?

Right now the entries on the "Team management" page are
Edit team info, Remove inactive members,
View team email addresses, and Change founder.
What else would be useful?

For example: someone suggested the idea of a team providing an RSS feed
for team announcements; messages would appear
in screensaver graphics and in the Manager.

Another example: a framework for time-limited competitions between teams,
e.g. team X challenges team Y during a particular week.

Another request I know about is the "Team-specific installer":
an installer for the client software that shows the team logo,
and that pre-enrolls the user in that team on
any project that they attach to.
This is in the works - it will be part of the next major release.

-- David

If you have any question, concerns or ideas you would like him or the other team leaders to hear, please post them here and I will take them to the group.

Pawly.

Knightmare
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:42 am

Some things being discussed .....

Quote:

Consistency of team names between projects

It would be nice if teams were actually BOINC-wide. How do we deal with the situation where the same team name exists on different projects with different owners?

* Should teams be BOINC-wide rather than project specific?
* If so, how to resolve current inconsistencies?
* Should people be able to belong to different teams on different projects?

Proposal:

* Create a web site for registering BOINC-wide teams. (Can use the "dev" project for this).
* In case of dispute over a name, the oldest instance of the team on an existing project wins.
* Write an "export" script to export the list of teams and founders as XML. Include "previous founder" field.
* Write an "update" script that downloads these files. For each team: if it doesn't exist, create it, and create user account. If founder in DB is previous founder in XML, change founder. Update other team fields (URL etc.).
* Encourage newly-created projects to use the update script (e.g. put in config.xml).
* Resolve current inconsistencies manually; I will encourage project admins to help.

Web feature requests

* Ownership change: interface to transfer ownership to another member (requires their password).
* Membership change tracking: a mechanism for finding changes in team membership (join/leave) over time. Ability to see what team departed users have joined. One approach: add new DB table (also: record user credit at that point). Or maybe automated email to team founder on join/leave.
* Membership management: include email addresses in sortable team list, instead of having a separate page
* ability to send "mass PM" to team members.
* ability to send mass email to team members. Problem: what about bounces? Could this be exploited by spammers?
* When join a team, get a "Join this team on all projects?" option
* phpBB-like formatting features?
* sortable member list (join date, total credit, RAC, country)
* team page: show more than 20 at a time?
* let team founder tag members as "team assistant" (displayed next to user name). Special privileges: can view email list, can edit team settings.

Client feature requests

* Ability to show an RSS feed (e.g. for messages from team). Not clear where this should go.
* Ability for teams to make their own installers. The installer, and the resulting client, will show team graphics. The client will automatically enroll the user in the given team when they join a project.
* Show cross-project user and team credit totals in the BOINC manager.

Team challenges

* One team can challenge another to see who can increase total credit the most over a given time period. Note: this is a little tricky because of the delay in credit granting. You'd have to do some of your computing a little before the time period.
* Natural rivalries: Army vs. Navy; Michigan vs. Ohio State; France vs. Germany, etc.
* Maybe a BOINC Olympiad, based on computation per capita.
* Some notion of "weight classes" (like wrestling), with a "virtual championship belt" for each class. Winners/losers move up/down in class.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:07 am

OK....I am going to go through these things and state my opinions on them. Even if y'all don't want to read em....lol

Consistency of team names between projects

It would be nice if teams were actually BOINC-wide. How do we deal with the situation where the same team name exists on different projects with different owners?

* Should teams be BOINC-wide rather than project specific?
* If so, how to resolve current inconsistencies?
* Should people be able to belong to different teams on different projects?
I do think that teams should, once they are created, be BOINC wide. It is a pain in the butt to have to go through, project by project , creating the team on every single project. Our team is atatched to 38 projects, and just changing the link in the HTML script was a pain.

I figure that if people want to join different teams on different projects, they should be free to do so. Perhaps more than one team appeals to them.
Proposal:

* Create a web site for registering BOINC-wide teams. (Can use the "dev" project for this).
See above

* In case of dispute over a name, the oldest instance of the team on an existing project wins.
I don't like this at all. I think it would be better if the team that has most recently been active would be the winner. I would be extremely miffed if some team ( with the same name as ours ) that hasn't been active in a long while was awarded the team name just because they have been there longer.

* Write an "export" script to export the list of teams and founders as XML. Include "previous founder" field.
Ok

* Write an "update" script that downloads these files. For each team: if it doesn't exist, create it, and create user account. If founder in DB is previous founder in XML, change founder. Update other team fields (URL etc.).
Also ok.
* Encourage newly-created projects to use the update script (e.g. put in config.xml).
Would almost be a necessity for them to do so if they want teams to join up. Also....project wide infers that all BOINC related projects would participate.
* Resolve current inconsistencies manually; I will encourage project admins to help.
Excellent.
Web feature requests

* Ownership change: interface to transfer ownership to another member (requires their password).
Problem would be with inactive founders. I think the " 60 days to answer team founder change " is a good approach as it stands.
* Membership change tracking: a mechanism for finding changes in team membership (join/leave) over time. Ability to see what team departed users have joined. One approach: add new DB table (also: record user credit at that point). Or maybe automated email to team founder on join/leave.
I like this idea. But does it really matter what team they went to if they leave yours?? An automated email would be a good thing as well. I, personally, like to send a welcome email to all new members and that would make it easier to keep up.
* Membership management: include email addresses in sortable team list, instead of having a separate page.
This one ( to me ) isn't a big problem that needs to be fixed.
* ability to send "mass PM" to team members.
Most of our members aren't active on any forums, so are unlikely to see a mass PM. Again...not a really serious issue to me.
* ability to send mass email to team members. Problem: what about bounces? Could this be exploited by spammers?
A pretty good idea, IF there is a way to keep spammers from getting hold of it.
* When join a team, get a "Join this team on all projects?" option

VERY good idea here.
* phpBB-like formatting features?
Ok
* sortable member list (join date, total credit, RAC, country)
If NONE of the other ideas get used...THIS is the one I would most like to see.
* team page: show more than 20 at a time?
Depending on the team size, this could or might not be such a good idea. What would the cutoff number be?
* let team founder tag members as "team assistant" (displayed next to user name). Special privileges: can view email list, can edit team settings.
Another great idea here. It would be good for team founder that knows he or she is going to be away for a while.
Client feature requests

* Ability to show an RSS feed (e.g. for messages from team). Not clear where this should go.
Good way to let team members know what is happening with their team.
* Ability for teams to make their own installers. The installer, and the resulting client, will show team graphics. The client will automatically enroll the user in the given team when they join a project.
Not a bad idea if a team has someone capable of doing it.
* Show cross-project user and team credit totals in the BOINC manager.
Yes, Please....lol Much better than having to chase through a stats site to find out how people are doing on the team.
Team challenges

* One team can challenge another to see who can increase total credit the most over a given time period. Note: this is a little tricky because of the delay in credit granting. You'd have to do some of your computing a little before the time period.
I can only say that our team really isn't numbers oriented or all that interested in being involved in a competition.
* Natural rivalries: Army vs. Navy; Michigan vs. Ohio State; France vs. Germany, etc.
Cool idea for teams that want to participate in it.
* Maybe a BOINC Olympiad, based on computation per capita.
Again, a good idea for teams that want to participate. But what about those of us who aren't in it for competition??
* Some notion of "weight classes" (like wrestling), with a "virtual championship belt" for each class. Winners/losers move up/down in class.
Again. What about teams that don't want to participate in competition. I wouldn't want to see my team fall to a " lower class " simply because we choose not to be competitive.

Our team is participating in BOINC for the fun of it. We are not numbers oriented. Competition is simply not what we are about. I would suggest an " Opt Out " option for teams that don't want to compete.

If anyone from the team has anything they want to let me know about, or if they think I am wrong about one of my opionions, feel free to let me know about it. I really don't want to be stuck speaking for the ENTIRE team if there are those on the team that feel differently. :-)
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:59 am

sounds good to me KM...I happen to agree with you on this
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 am

Sounds good to me as well. Just one thing, I would rather see an opt in rather than a opt out feature so your not automatically "in" something you might not want to be.
Just my opinion :smt001

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Hmmmm....that's not a bad idea Bird Dog.

Something like an link or tab that says " Would you like this team to be eligible for team competitions " perhaps??
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:07 pm

KM's opinions are definitely food for thought. I can't go through right now and say to each point, "Yes," "No," "Maybe this ... ."
But ... I am amazed that admin is spending so much time thinking about things like this.
Dark-no-no.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 am

But no time trying to develop analysis software??
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:30 am

Knightmare wrote:But no time trying to develop analysis software??
Something like that.
Dark-no-no.

MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder

Post by MzSnowleopard » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:32 am

Knightmare wrote:Hmmmm....that's not a bad idea Bird Dog.

Something like an link or tab that says " Would you like this team to be eligible for team competitions " perhaps??

Sounds like a solution to me!!!!

:smt023
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

MzSnowleopard

stats image questions

Post by MzSnowleopard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:00 pm

I keep seeing these images and would like to know how I can get mine... Because when I attempted to - I got this:

He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:09 pm

You need the right number from Boincstats. Here is what I get for you.

And

user number is 1172518

Rick

Edit. This page, little ways down has the links to yours.
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/boinc_u ... d=1172518"

Beside URL for user signature graphic.

Also if you sign up with Boincstats, You can change colors and all too, of your sig.

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:29 pm

SO even though they have me on the lists- I still need to register?

I guess I assumed I was already registered since they have me in their stats.
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:45 pm

NO, you don't have to register. To use there basic ones, Like I showed above. You just have wrong id number in your first post. You used 7982247. yours is 1172518. I haven't seen a user id from there higher than the 1300000 mark yet.

They are for your use, from the page I listed.

If you register with them though, You get alot of other options to play with. Can change color of stat sig. What I used for team stats box. And many other things. Don't use alot of the options but I liked being able to change color of stats sigs.

Rick

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:48 pm

is this where we sign up for other projects as well ?

on the SETI @ home site-
this is what my account page says:

Account number
Used in URLs 7982247

I'm trying to figure this out and set up to crunch more projects...

I could use some help walking through this.
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:53 pm

They have an option there that can get you set up on other projects. I haven't really used that option myself. But I have seen it in there. After a registration of course.

As well as an Account Manager. I have read a bit about it but have never tried. Then you can set Boinc Manager to use it to auto everything from BoincStats.

Rick

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:02 pm

With Boinc Manager open, click the 'tools' tab. From the drop down menu click 'attach to project' and follow the instructions in the box that opens. If you need the project url`s just ask here and someone will be along. Once you are attached a sig can be made with all your projects. :smt001

*cross post * :smt003

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 pm

WOW- this has me floored

Recent average credit 149.58

talk about a fast jump
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:57 pm

I'll bet your pendings have gone down a lot today. I've had over 300 credits validate out of my pendings in the last hour (from ~2400 to ~2100).
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:58 am

Good call - I'm down to 9 WU with 530.94 pending credit
Stats / Web Site / Blog

MzSnowleopard

BOINC update

Post by MzSnowleopard » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:47 pm

okay- here's where I'm standing with my own wish list:

new Set ups

XtremLab
Nano-Hive@Home
World Community Grid- pending

DepSpid

BOINC device says: an account with this email already exists with different password

Depsid Site says: No account found with email address mzsnowleopard@yahoo.com

World Community Grid

Loaded- then detached-

I'm having issues with this one- it's putting all projects to status: suspend- user active

XtremLab

not working- assuming currently no new WU

Still to set up

DepSpid

Leiden Classical

Pirates@Home

Rosetta@Home

Superlink@Technion

Einstein@Home

SETI@Home Beta
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:35 am

Pirates hasn't had any work in quite a while that I know of.

Same with Superlink.

You may want to pass on Einstein because the work units are absolutely MASSIVE for that project now.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:38 am

Well - it seems that trying to add other projects keeps throwing my BOINC in to suspension.
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:40 am

That is a very strange thing. I have never had it do that.

Not sure why it would be doing that.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:48 am

I got work from Pirates just the other day. I just let it run, work doesn't come very often, but it trickles in and they only take about 10 minutes to run.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Return to “BOINC”