New BOINC Projects.

Everything BOINC. Projects, Milestones, BOINC Software, Etc.
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:35 am

OK folks. I did a WIki Search for some DC projects that aren't BOINC based. Seems that there are quite a few of them.

I will list them here with the description that I find for them.

First up.

eOn

Help research techniques for "calculating the long time dynamics of systems" in the eOn project. From the website: "A common problem in theoretical chemistry, condensed matter physics and materials science is the calculation of the time evolution of an atomic scale system where, for example, chemical reactions and/or diffusion occur." Interesting events occur so rarely that they can only be observed in direct simulations by using a distributed computing environment. See a brief scientific overview for a more detailed description of this problem. The project works in a similar way to Folding@Home in that results from one set of work units are used to generate the next set of work units. Unlike Folding@Home, it is not critical if some users don't return the results of their work units within a time limit or at all. The current project studies ice growth.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:37 am

Evolution@home

Evolution@home is the first global computing system for evolutionary biology. It allows everybody with an Internet PC to contribute to evolutionary-research by running simulations of evolution.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:38 am

Muon 1

Help design a more efficient particle accelerator in Stephen Brooks' Muon1 Distributed Particle Accelerator Design project. The project "simulates the pion-to-muon decay channel (grey cylinders surrounding a straight blue path) of the RAL Neutrino Factory front end design. This is different to the previous versions of the solenoid-channel-only optimisation because it varies all parameters of the solenoids independently of one another. The bending chicane featured in versions 4.0-4.2x will be replaced by a linear accelerator and a muon 'cooling ring' in version 5."
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:39 am

Parabon Computation

Parabon Computation, Inc. is a premier grid computing company with a variety of software development tools and applications all centered around its flagship product, the Frontier® Grid Platform — the very first commercial grid computing solution, released in 2000. Boasting a veteran software development team, Parabon has hard won technical expertise and a depth of understanding about grid computing not found elsewhere in the marketplace. Parabon's Frontier product line includes public, private and virtual private grids — instances of which are deployed in the government, non-profit and private sectors. In addition to its Frontier product line, Parabon has developed applications which run atop Frontier to solve computationally complex problems.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:41 am

FightAIDS@home

FightAIDS@Home is the first biomedical distributed computing project ever launched. It is run by the Olson Laboratory at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. We provide free software that you download and install. The software uses your computer's idle cycles to assist fundamental research in discovering new drugs, building on our growing knowledge of the structural biology of AIDS.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:42 am

D2OL

Help find oral drugs which can fight Anthrax, Smallpox, Ebola, SARS, deadly diseases for which there is currently no cure, and Malaria, a life-threatenting disease for which 40% of the world's population is at risk, in the Drug Design Optimization Lab (D2OL)TM. This project, sponsored by The Rothberg Institute for childhood diseases, uses volunteer resources to screen Anthrax, Smallpox, Ebola, SARS, and Malaria proteins against a database of 2 million potential drugs. The SARS project began on April 17, 2003. The Malaria project began on November 7, 2003. The Avian Influenza project began on April 13, 2006.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:43 am

Community TSC

Join the CommunityTSC project and help find drugs to fight Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC), "a genetic disorder that leads to benign tumors in multiple organs, including the brain, kidneys, heart, eyes, lungs and other organs. The project is sponsored by The Rothberg Institute for childhood diseases.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:44 am

X Grid@Stanford

Help XGrid@Stanford to "modelize the conformational changes of the beta 2 adrenergic receptor, and have a better understanding of its pharmacology." This project is run by Charles Parnot, a postdoctoral fellow in Brian Kobilka's lab in the Molecular and Cellular Physiology department of Stanford University. Note that this project is not designed to be a complete, public distributed computing research project: it is designed for Apple OSX users running Apple's XGrid software to help a university researcher complete his research. This site is also available in French French.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:45 am

Distributed.net

distributed.net organizes projects like cracking data encryption schemes (legally) and searching for Optimal Golomb Rulers (measuring systems used in radio astronomy and X-ray crystallography)
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:46 am

M4

The M4 message breaking project is attempting to break 3 encrypted signals (messages) which were intercepted in the North Atlantic in 1942 and which are believed to be unbroken. These signals were presented by Ralph Erskine in a letter to the journal Cryptologia in December, 1995. The signals were presumably enciphered with the four rotor Enigma M4 cipher machine. The project broke one of the signals on February 20, 2006, and hopes to break the other two within one month with enough participation. The project expects to crack each cipher with 1 to 10 walks through the Enigma keyspace.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:48 am

The projects that I just listed were all shown as active projects. Whether they actually are or not, I don't really know since I don't have nearly enough computer power to download and run each project.

If one of you chooses to try one of those projects out, feel free to create Calm Chaos there if there is a section for setting up teams.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:51 am

Also note that the projects I listed here are not the only projects listed on the page I found.

You can find the others here DC Projects

If you happen to see a project that you think we should know about....let us know. :-)
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist

Post by purplemkayel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:56 am

Just for information: Enigma@home is the M4 project under a Boinc wrapper.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:04 am

Ah. I kinda thought about that when I read the description.

Oh well....another Enigma plug from PM is seen....lmao
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 am

Always unintentional, lol.

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 pm

I got Muon1 running on my system. It hasen't uploaded any results yet and I think that you have to complete about 10KB of data before it uploads. Before starting Muon1 you have to put your name in the empty text file named "user" located in the Muon1 folder. I put in [Calm Chaos] AC.

I've got it running in backround mode and adjusted some options in the "config" file that tells it how much of the CPU it'll use and how many threads/cores. You can create desktop shortcuts of Muon1 and Muon1_backround from the Muon1 folder. Muon1 is the one that runs with the graphics. To stop it in Windows when in backround mode (muon1_backround) you can open Task Manager and end the process. In Normal mode (Muon1) just hit Esc or Q to stop. Here's a screenshot of the graphics when you choose to run it the normal way (Muon1).

Muon1 graphics

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:09 am

Hmm, apparently, construction for the accelerator won't begin until 2015. That's a long way ahead, and a factor I'll consider before jumping into Muon1.

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:13 am

orbit@home is getting close to starting. This project is pretty exciting I think and they just got some grant money from NASA.

The news:

"We have received the grant money from NASA. Part of this money will be used soon to acquire a dedicated server, and by February 2008 the new server should be up and running. Between now and then, not much will happen, but expect a period of about a week during the which orbit@home will be down because of the server transition. For several reasons, we're also debating the possibility to start with a fresh installation of BOINC, that would thus require a new registration by all the users. We expect to start to develop actively this project in March 2008. Thanks for waiting for such a long time, and see you then."

-------------------------------------------

orbit@home will be a BOINC-based project which uses the Orbit Reconstruction, Simulation and Analysis (ORSA) framework "to monitor the impact hazard posed by Near Earth Objects."

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 am

Damn. Please keep an eye on that one A/C. Especially if it means that we have to re register.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:41 am

Oooo, it's looks like it's so close now!!!

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:46 am

@ Knightmare. I'll keep an eye out for when orbit is up and what they decide to do.

@ purplemkayel. It's almost February :smt002

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Lol, A/C... I'm just a little excitable at times :smt045

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:48 pm

I got us set up on a new project that is currently in Alpha Testing...

QCN Alpha Test

So far...it looks like there are only apps available for Mac and some Intel computers.

I figured I would get us all set up there if any of our Mac users wanted to get involved, and eventually there should be apps for all computers available.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:41 am

Knightmare wrote:Evolution@home

Evolution@home is the first global computing system for evolutionary biology. It allows everybody with an Internet PC to contribute to evolutionary-research by running simulations of evolution.
Oh, and evolution@home can be found under a Boinc wrapper as one of the available projects from yoyo@home!

... and before people start jumping up and down, I'm not recommending yoyo... it's alpha and not so stable, but farcry101 does like his evolution@home, lol.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:22 am

Why would we jump up and down??

You are our Certifiable Lobbyist...lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:32 am

Just didn't want anyone to hurt themselves :smt002

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:45 am

Oh ok....lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:51 am

We have a new project that Calm Chaos has been created on....

Cels@home
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:37 am

Should point out that the only application currently available is for Windows 32bit. Otherwise it sounds like a good project.
ImageImage

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:36 pm

News from orbit@home:

"Registration Now Open

Submitted by tricaric on Tue, 03/04/2008 - 01:07.

As anticipated, we're now opening orbit@home for registration. The master URL for the BOINC section of orbit@home is: http://orbit.psi.edu/oah/"

"New Server Installed

Submitted by tricaric on Sun, 03/02/2008 - 10:41.

On February 28th, 2008 we've received the new orbit@home server. It has 2 quad-code Xeon CPUs, 8 GB of memory, fast SCSI raid disks, and is powered by a dedicated UPS unit. Right after receiving it, we've deployed it in the Planetary Science Institute's IT room, and installed the Linux Ubuntu Server OS on it. This initial phase took only just over two hours."

I remembered :smt001

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:22 am

Thanks A/C... Hooray, shall do as soon as I finish with my little race at Seti...

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 am

A/C wrote:News from orbit@home:

"Registration Now Open

As anticipated, we're now opening orbit@home for registration. The master URL for the BOINC section of orbit@home is: http://orbit.psi.edu/oah/"

"New Server Installed

On February 28th, 2008 we've received the new orbit@home server. It has 2 quad-code Xeon CPUs, 8 GB of memory, fast SCSI raid disks, and is powered by a dedicated UPS unit. Right after receiving it, we've deployed it in the Planetary Science Institute's IT room, and installed the Linux Ubuntu Server OS on it. This initial phase took only just over two hours."

Yep. I got an email that the " BOINC Wide " version of Calm Chaos has been set up. So as soon as you want to connect to the project...we're there. :-)
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Knightmare wrote:
A/C wrote:News from orbit@home:

"Registration Now Open

"New Server Installed

Yep. I got an email that the " BOINC Wide " version of Calm Chaos has been set up. So as soon as you want to connect to the project...we're there. :-)
I just attached to orbit :smt023 They aren't up yet though. I got a message that said "Scheduler request succeeded: got 0 new tasks".

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:37 pm

purplemkayel wrote:Thanks A/C... Hooray, shall do as soon as I finish with my little race at Seti...
That's cool :smt002 *A/C wonders about race* :smt017

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Its a little friendly race between PurpleM, myself, FarCry, and Gavin Shaw.
ImageImage

Return to “BOINC”