A Comp for crunching- and fun

Everything BOINC. Projects, Milestones, BOINC Software, Etc.
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder

A Comp for crunching- and fun

Post by MzSnowleopard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 am

Last week KM and I had a discussion about the fact that some people have computers just for crunching. At the time it's not something I would consider having. To me that’s ridiculous and a waste of money. As I explained to him, if I’m going to drop money into a computer it’s going to do more than just crunch for BOINC.

When I am able to afford a second computer- most everything on Pilot will be shifted over. She will be reserved strictly for my writings and the BOINC projects she works well with. The second system will handle everything else I’m in to: Poser, web-design, graphics programs, and the various Quake versions and other games that Pilot has issues with.

And today I remembered this guy and how much and how long I’ve wanted one. Today I'm thinking this would be the kewlest cruncher. This is the best video on YouTube- there are others uploaded that show guys building their own R2 units. So, I know it can be done- my question is 'how can this be done?'

There are all kinds available- from the full sized one in this video- down to a small desktop trash can. I'd like to turn one in to a crunching machine or make it a shell that holds a tower. :smt036

YouTube Link:
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Re: A Comp for crunching- and fun

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:44 am

I wish I knew! Imagine if it was a fully working computer (and screen, keyboard and mouse) that is mobile? There is nothing stopping a person using just about anything as a 'computer tower/case'. I have seen Lego cases for example. But making it roll around the room is a bit beyond me at the moment. Maybe take the guts out of a Roomba?
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:40 am

I was thinking that there's got to be a way to add ports for a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. or the other concept I was thinking- take the larger trash receptical and open the back for access and install a platform to set a mini-tower inside. That would be just for show...

adapting the actual robotic R2 for crunching- now THAT would be something. of course there's one problem- he does not move well on carpet.

And I think this goes without saying- but of course- I have to... R2 would definitely freak out the cats. LOL
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 am

I used to check out a lot of sites that featured modded cases. Sites like bit-tech an CaseModGod. I thought about it for awhile but said ah what the hell, I'll just stick with mainstream cases. There were these Hellraiser themed mods I really liked called PuzzleBox and Hellusion. I like the look of cube cases I guess.

There are plenty of sites that are into case modding but those are good places to start. R2 mod is at bit-tech.

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks AC
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Return to “BOINC”