Boinc set up - Ubuntu 8.04 alpha 4

Everything BOINC. Projects, Milestones, BOINC Software, Etc.
ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:30 am

yes, Kinghtmare, I did what you said, but still trying how to figure out how to make it a screensaver! Seems to be a Vista problem.

Yes, Gavin, it does, but it's just the Bionic logo.
Live On, Marines!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:41 am

Hmmm.....I wish I could be more help, but I don't run Vista. :smt009
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:44 am

Vista has some ill-advised "security" features that
cause BOINC's graphics to not work.

We've fixed this in the soon-to-be-released version 6 BOINC client.
Check back in a few weeks and download it when available.

-- David

Got this from a help person there!
Live On, Marines!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:46 am

There ya go then. You'll have to wait for the next version of BOINC. At least you know you'll be able to get it in a few weeks...and then you can dump the BOINC screensaver ( which I hate as well ).
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Mr. Majestic
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Majestic » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:38 am

I've never had any problems running BOINC on vista. I have BOINC installed in the C;\Program Files folder and all works great, including the graphics (I just choose not to run them.)

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:47 am

Vista is similar to OSX in appearance but in function it's a bloated piece of junk...it's time they go to a Unix core in their programing which is what Vista is supposed to be replaced by...OSX has had it from the start...I don't use the screen saver for the same reason as Gavin...I want maximum output...I can say this though from when I did start using it on the Beast...that was like the first two days after I installed it...in OSX it has to be activated in the screensavers in the system...again I'm using the AK opti app which doesn't even have graphics built in...again for performance reasons...I don't pay much attention to the pretty colors only the numbers and the WU's...
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:04 am

I like the pretty colors! Makes me feel like my computer's doing something, I guess. I'm not an expert like most here, just like running SETI, now I do the monthly pick since I joined this team. Just can do my little part, which is VERY little compared to most here!

Do you think Vista's here to stay? I guess Mr. Bill does.

I couldn't install it in program files, it didn't work. Had to give it it's own folder, after I got advice here how to install it.
Live On, Marines!

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:56 am

How very weird! My SETI screensaver just showed back up!!! I walked in and it was running! No idea!!!
Live On, Marines!

Red Atomic
Lord of the Avatar

Post by Red Atomic » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:00 am

ramchaza wrote:How very weird! My SETI screensaver just showed back up!!! I walked in and it was running! No idea!!!
wow, don't you just love computers, you never know whats gonna happen. :smt003
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/redatomic/ClownCC2.gif[/img]

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:04 am

The E.T.s must be helping out!
Live On, Marines!

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:11 am

What is the story with those BOINC people on their forum?? They get so MAD when I say something about Calm Chaos! I posted that Calm Chaos must have fixed the BOINC problem and I got many PMs about that!!!
Live On, Marines!

MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:15 am

must be the price for being non-conforming and deviant LOL
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:16 am

ramchaza wrote:What is the story with those BOINC people on their forum?? They get so MAD when I say something about Calm Chaos! I posted that Calm Chaos must have fixed the BOINC problem and I got many PMs about that!!!
LOL. Don't worry Theresa....some people have a real problem with our team, even though we haven't done much of anything to anyone. We have kicked an anthill or two occasionally, but at times it's like we smacked a hornet's nest with a broomstick...lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:20 am

ramchaza wrote:The E.T.s must be helping out!
LOL :smt003 Well at least its back, for now.

Rick

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:28 am

Yes! I LIKE my SETI screensaver!!!

I always miss the good stuff, the fighting and bitching!! Dang!
Live On, Marines!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:58 am

I found your original post in the Seti forums and I figured out why they were complaining. It wasn't the fact that you said Calm Chaos....it was the fact that you used my first name. Some people ( not me ) are very paranoid about that kind of thing...lol

Thanks for sending me the link, by the way. :smt023
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:40 am

Knightmare wrote:I found your original post in the Seti forums and I figured out why they were complaining. It wasn't the fact that you said Calm Chaos....it was the fact that you used my first name. Some people ( not me ) are very paranoid about that kind of thing...lol

Thanks for sending me the link, by the way. :smt023
Ya umm...Tim...some of us are very paranoid...LMAO...others of us use it to our advantage...when a name takes on a life of it's own...it's rather interesting. Personally being cloaked in anonymity is kinda fun...LMAO
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:47 am

I'd understand that if I'd posted your entire name (which I don't know!). I've never been able to come up with a good screen name! My son just made mine up for me.

What I think is, they JEALOUS. That's the vibe I get, seriously. I'm not sure why they would be, but that's what I think!

He took his language test for that school. Had 3 wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, called me tonight from Synagogue he goes to, all hopped up on Vicoden!!! Had to go out to his truck and take a nap during Services!
Live On, Marines!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:00 am

ramchaza wrote:I'd understand that if I'd posted your entire name (which I don't know!). I've never been able to come up with a good screen name! My son just made mine up for me.
It's actually a very good screen name. :-)
What I think is, they JEALOUS. That's the vibe I get, seriously. I'm not sure why they would be, but that's what I think!
Actually...a lot of us think that too. Not sure exactly what they would have to be jealous about...well...besides the fact that we are a real team ( not only in name, but in actions as well )...and that we actually enjoy speaking to each other...and we have a lot of fun. I mean, seriously, what's there to be jealous of??? lol
He took his language test for that school. Had 3 wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, called me tonight from Synagogue he goes to, all hopped up on Vicoden!!! Had to go out to his truck and take a nap during Services!
I completely understand that. I was given Vicodin when I had a kidney stone. They made me :smt015 Here's hoping he gets feeling better fast. :-)
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Dune Finkleberry
Special Envoy To Goat Community

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:15 am

Knightmare wrote:
ramchaza wrote:What is the story with those BOINC people on their forum?? They get so MAD when I say something about Calm Chaos! I posted that Calm Chaos must have fixed the BOINC problem and I got many PMs about that!!!
LOL. Don't worry Theresa....some people have a real problem with our team, even though we haven't done much of anything to anyone. We have kicked an anthill or two occasionally, but at times it's like we smacked a hornet's nest with a broomstick...lol
I didn't realize that Calm Chaos was a first cousin to the much-maligned The Final Front Ear!

No wonder we get along so well! Glad you got your issues answered ramchaza!

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:33 am

I don't get it, do they also have a team over there? I thought it was just advice about the BOINC? There was another thread I was participating in, and the same thing happened, remember, Tim? One of them was really bitchy about that!!! I got a private message, if I wanted to join another team this guy had the name of a really GOOD one.
Live On, Marines!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:50 am

Hmmmm....in that case....there were problems between us and another team....in this case...I think it's just cuz you used my name. Unless of course someone actually said that you shouldn't name out team.

Too bad for the guy who sent the PM that you had already found the best team out there. :-)
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Dune Finkleberry

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Knightmare wrote:Too bad for the guy who sent the PM that you had already found the best team out there. :-)
Yes you did ramchaza! And that's coming from a guy from a competing team! Sometimes there's too much competition between teams. It should be who we crunch for & not the team.

And I'll bet I know the guy that was advertising that REALLY GOOD one! He has a history of doing that. He did the same with me. I'm with The Final Front Ear, & one time I made a statement, & that guy said something to the effect of "It figures, coming from a TFFE guy."

Ignore 'em ramchaza. You've got a top notch team here!

Incidentally ramchaza, You've got a friend request from me. You don't have to take it, but it would please me if you would. Think it over.

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:55 pm

I don't even remember how I found this team. It was thru SETI somehow.
Live On, Marines!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:56 pm

I remember....lol

You posted on the recruitment thread about looking for a team....I simply told you about us....you checked us out and decided to join. :-)
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 am

I'm so old! Your memory is better than mine! People must send out bot requests for people to join, I've gotten a lot and they all sound the same.
Live On, Marines!

kenzieB
Collected Member

Post by kenzieB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:20 am

Knightmare wrote:I remember....lol

You posted on the recruitment thread about looking for a team....I simply told you about us....you checked us out and decided to join. :-)
Sometimes Knightrmare undervalues his subliminal salesmanship.

He was one of the first friends that I had made at SETI and he (along with Chris S, Dr. Ceti, Labbie, and a few others) eased me through my growing pains over there. (Tho, like as not, none of them remember the details of my initial adventures, I remember and thank you all!!!) :smt001

It was great fun for awhile but then, for reasons that had nothing at all to do with Tim or Calm Chaos, it all got very ugly, so I went away for a time.

A couple months ago, a friend who crunches BOINC, asked me which team he thought he should join, and Calm Chaos was the first to pop into my mind.

Then, when I was ready to dip a toe back into the BOINC waters, this seemed the most logical refuge.
Last edited by kenzieB on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenzieB
Collected Member

Post by kenzieB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:24 am

And now, back to topic for a moment:

A couple of VISTA issues not yet covered here: I still haven’t figured out how to make it load automatically when I start my computer. I have to start it up manually.

Also, sometimes when you shut your computer down it will trash any wu’s being crunched, so I always ‘exit’ BOINC before shutting down or restarting.

(Note to the propeller heads: Yes, I know, there is a registry hack that can fix the shut down problem. Problem is, this is a new computer and I don’t remember how to do it.)
:smt017

Dune Finkleberry

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:47 am

kenzieB wrote:

He was one of the first friends that I had made at SETI and he (along with Dune F, Labbie, and a few others) eased me through my growing pains over there. (Tho, like as not, none of them remember the details of my initial adventures, I remember and thank you all!!!) :smt001
edited out Hehehe!

I could even provide a link if you wish.
Last edited by Dune Finkleberry on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenzieB
Collected Member

Post by kenzieB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:00 am

Dune Finkleberry wrote:
kenzieB wrote:

He was one of the first friends that I had made at SETI and he (along with Dune F, Labbie, and a few others) eased me through my growing pains over there. (Tho, like as not, none of them remember the details of my initial adventures, I remember and thank you all!!!) :smt001
Babes (somewhat) lost in the woods Hehehe!

Oh God! Please don't. (And you, more than most, know how seldom I invoke the name of any supreme beings!)

But I was actually referring to issues I had a month later with someone else. (Issuse long since, and happily, resolved!)

Still. . .please let long dead, sleeping-dogs lie.

(Darn, guess there is no place for me to hide from the mighty Dune!) :smt001

Dune Finkleberry

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:05 am

kenzieB wrote:
Dune Finkleberry wrote:
kenzieB wrote: Sometimes Knightrmare undervalues his subliminal salesmanship.

edited out Hehehe!

Oh God! Please don't. (And you, more than most, know how selom I invoked the name of any supreme beings!)

But I was actually referring to issues I had a month later with someone else. (Issuse long since, and happily, resolved!)

Just wanted to let you know the old Dune still has a few marbles rolling around. Your secrets are safe with me. I don't wish to raise the wrath of kenzieB! Image
Last edited by Dune Finkleberry on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenzieB
Collected Member

Post by kenzieB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:08 am

Dune Finkleberry wrote:
kenzieB wrote:
Dune Finkleberry wrote: Babes (somewhat) lost in the woods Hehehe!

Oh God! Please don't. (And you, more than most, know how selom I invoked the name of any supreme beings!)

Just wanted to let you know the old Dune still has a few marbles rolling around. Your secrets are safe with me. I don't wish to raise the wrath of kenzieB! Image
yeah. 'k. going away again for awhile. bye then, take care now. :smt009

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:14 am

I stopped my Windows Defender from running. That solved a LOT of irritations I was having with Vista. That's why BOINC wouldn't start on it's own, and I suspect why it wouldn't run the screensavers.
Live On, Marines!

Red Atomic
Lord of the Avatar

Post by Red Atomic » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 am

ramchaza wrote:I stopped my Windows Defender from running. That solved a LOT of irritations I was having with Vista. That's why BOINC wouldn't start on it's own, and I suspect why it wouldn't run the screensavers.
Ok, thats good to know, I'll write that down for when I upgrade later on.

Cheers Ramchaza
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/redatomic/ClownCC2.gif[/img]

kenzieB
Collected Member

Post by kenzieB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:32 am

Ummm, dumb stupid person observation but, yeah, Defender can be a pain, but is probably there for a reason. imho, of course.

Yup, it means you have to spend a few moments more in "allowing" things but, almost evey hacker out there is gunning for VISTA and, as I have learned, protection is always a girl's best friend.

Personally, having to manually start and stop BOINC is a very, very minor issue. :smt001

Return to “BOINC”