Boinc set up - Ubuntu 8.04 alpha 4

Everything BOINC. Projects, Milestones, BOINC Software, Etc.
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:39 am

Defender is a useful app....but only really necessary ( in my opinion ) if you don't have another decent firewall already set up.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

philwatts
Cool Member

BAM project list not appearing

Post by philwatts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:16 pm

When I log into the BAM website, select Host List and select a computer I used to get the whole list of projects with their respective tick boxes. Now the list is gone.

I get this:

Excuse the blur - I'm not sure what's confidential and what isn't. Anyone know why the list is gone?
[size=75]If I wasn't an atheist, I'd think Richard Dawkins was God.[/size]

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Is the computer you selected using BAM? I use it myself and I have never used that feature. I just use it so I don't have to reattach to all the projects when something happens.
ImageImage

philwatts
Cool Member

Post by philwatts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm

danielmid wrote:Is the computer you selected using BAM? I use it myself and I have never used that feature. I just use it so I don't have to reattach to all the projects when something happens.
All my machines are attached to BAM, mostly because I can change what a particular machine is crunching from the BAM website when I'm away from a machine. The project list isn't appearing for any of my machines, whereas it was before.
[size=75]If I wasn't an atheist, I'd think Richard Dawkins was God.[/size]

Larry
Calm Member

help, boinc suspended.

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:53 pm

help, boinc is stuck in 'computation suspended' mode and i can't figure out how to start it back up.
i tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail. i also tried a different project and that didn't help either.
can someone please tell me what i'm missing? :smt017
[size=117][color=#98F5FF]the universe is infinitely large[/color] [color=#00CDCD][i]and[/color][/i] [color=#98F5FF]infinitely small[/color][/size]

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Re: help, boinc suspended.

Post by Sarge_II » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Larry wrote:help, boinc is stuck in 'computation suspended' mode and i can't figure out how to start it back up.
i tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail. i also tried a different project and that didn't help either.
can someone please tell me what i'm missing? :smt017
Is it also saying something, either next to the WUs or under the message tab, about computing CPU benchmarks or something like that?
Dark-no-no.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:49 pm

There is a setting in the preferences that suspends BOINC activity when the computer is in use. That should be set to NO.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Larry
Calm Member

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:36 am

yay, i found the right button.
it was under 'activity'.
thanks for the help. :smt002
[size=117][color=#98F5FF]the universe is infinitely large[/color] [color=#00CDCD][i]and[/color][/i] [color=#98F5FF]infinitely small[/color][/size]

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 am

Glad you found it, I always forget about that setting.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

debs3759
Collected Member

Remotely control BOINC across LAN

Post by debs3759 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:52 am

I've been trying to figure out how to control BOINC across a LAN. So far there are only 3 PCs on my LAN, but as there are only 2 monitors it gets complicated each time I need to check the one that doesn't always have access to the monitor. I have to crawl behind the machines, under a desk (and behind other furniture!) to get to them...

I tried setting up BOINCview, and the online help told me I need to create a "gui_rpc_auth.cfg" and "remote_hosts.cfg" files in the BOINC directory, and I did that with the required info on one system (XP64) that I want to control remotely. From the XP32 system I tried reading it with BOINCview, using the default ports. It said there is no BOINC client behind that port.

Does anyone know how to find what port BOINC is using, or better still a fool-proof way of setting up a system where a single app on a single machine can control BOINC on all the other machines (or at least read what is running, which is what BOINCview does). Ideally I'd love to be able to control BOINC Manager settings, but I guess that will be too much to ask :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
E6750 (2 * 2.67GHz o/c to 3.52GHz)
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:05 am

How about a KVM switch?

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 am

BAM?
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:20 am

well the BOINC client can connect to remote computers as well. Just open up a 2nd instance and select "Advanced" "Select Computer" and type in the ip or dns name of the computer you are trying to connect to and the password and voila! It's like sitting at the remote computer.
ImageImage

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:50 am

danielmid wrote:well the BOINC client can connect to remote computers as well. Just open up a 2nd instance and select "Advanced" "Select Computer" and type in the ip or dns name of the computer you are trying to connect to and the password and voila! It's like sitting at the remote computer.
Apparently there's a little more to it than that...

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Controll ... C_remotely

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:35 am

It's looking very much like I need to get a KVM switch. I tried everything already on that "Controlling BOINC remotely" page, as well as going into the BIONC Manager menu option for attach to a remote computer, and neither gave me any joy. A KVM will certainly be a lot easier when I have more computers attached with different OS (if I ever stop tearing my hair out long enough to get to that stage!).
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:41 am

debs3759 wrote:It's looking very much like I need to get a KVM switch. I tried everything already on that "Controlling BOINC remotely" page, as well as going into the BIONC Manager menu option for attach to a remote computer, and neither gave me any joy. A KVM will certainly be a lot easier when I have more computers attached with different OS (if I ever stop tearing my hair out long enough to get to that stage!).
Don't do that...balding women at not very attractive.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

-Gen. George S. Patton

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:45 am

Dark Angel wrote:
debs3759 wrote:It's looking very much like I need to get a KVM switch. I tried everything already on that "Controlling BOINC remotely" page, as well as going into the BIONC Manager menu option for attach to a remote computer, and neither gave me any joy. A KVM will certainly be a lot easier when I have more computers attached with different OS (if I ever stop tearing my hair out long enough to get to that stage!).
That's alright - I'm not very attractive anyway from the outside. I prefer to let people see the inner me, if I think they can cope :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:03 am

debs3759 wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:
That's alright - I'm not very attractive anyway from the outside. I prefer to let people see the inner me, if I think they can cope :)
How we doing so far??? :smt017

-Gen. George S. Patton

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 am

Dark Angel wrote:
debs3759 wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:
How we doing so far??? :smt017
You all seem to be coping pretty well so far :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

debs3759
Collected Member

"User ID doesn't exist in BOINC combined"

Post by debs3759 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:28 pm

when I go to the team stats in BOINCstats, and click on the "Overtake stats" button to the right of my details, it just says:

"User ID doesn't exist in BOINC combined or doesn't have any credit."

I can view everyone else's overtake stats, but not my own. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Can it not handle the rate that I am moving up in some of the charts?

I'm also gonna ask this in their forum, but thought it might be useful if someone here had come across the same issue at any point.
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:23 pm

You're worrying too much. :)
And the overtake stats aren't very helpful, lately, anyway, as you just get graphs making comparison as opposed to "You will overtake this person in this many days" like it used to.
Dark-no-no.

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 pm

I wasn't so much worrying as a little confused at how my account might not exist, when I got to that page from a couple of click from my stats page, meaning the account had to exist :)

Anyway, it is working correctly now. Had been giving that error for a few hours before I posted about it,and Willy thinks I just managed to click on the link during a table update. I find that strange, that the table relating to my stats took so long to update while nobody else was affected, but hey! That's how computers seem to work :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Return to “BOINC”