Boinc set up - Ubuntu 8.04 alpha 4

Everything BOINC. Projects, Milestones, BOINC Software, Etc.
Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

BOINC Problems

Post by Buga1 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:12 pm

A section for all Boinc related problems. Installing, Maintaining, etc.

Rick

terribleterryc
Cool Member

Boinc set up - Ubuntu 8.04 alpha 4

Post by terribleterryc » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Boinc worked on this machine and this OS 6 weeks ago. Had to reinstall last night (OS & Boinc).

Boinc will not connect with "localhost".
Any way to get into Boinc and see where it is trying to connect to?

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Yeesh. I'll leave that one to someone who might have a clue...lol
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:53 pm

I had that happen once on my XP machine, a reboot fixed it.

Try posting your question in the Number Crunching forum at SETI. Someone will give you an answer over there.

Probably more of an answer than you really want. :smt003
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:26 am

Try flushing your DNS...that has worked in the past when there were server issues and app issues
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:07 am

Cannot connect to localhost is not a network issue. It means that boinc is not running. Did you start boinc first? or just the boinc manager?

How did you install it? Did you download from boinc? Or did you get it from the ubuntu repositories?
ImageImage

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:11 am

Ummm...stop me if I'm off base here but she's getting the error in BOINC so BOINC must be running...on the other hand...maybe I'm wrong...it's happened once...maybe twice...LMAO...Local host is the discription that it gives in the messages when the host server on the other end is not reachable...that would be Berkeley.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

-Gen. George S. Patton

danielmid

Post by danielmid » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:15 am

No DA, on this you are wrong.

Boinc manager is running, the user interface. A separate program called just boinc, is what the boinc manager controls. When that is not running, the boinc manager cant connect to the boinc program and "localhost" is the name boinc manager gives to the LOCAL boinc program.
ImageImage

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:27 am

danielmid wrote:No DA, on this you are wrong.

Boinc manager is running, the user interface. A separate program called just boinc, is what the boinc manager controls. When that is not running, the boinc manager cant connect to the boinc program and "localhost" is the name boinc manager gives to the LOCAL boinc program.
I stand corrected...you are correct as I remember now getting the same error when I tried to install SETI on my laptop...I do remember my fix for it was to install BOINC install SETI stock app install SETI Opti app...restart (might have been a reinstall opti app in here) then launch BOINC...something was goofy with the set up on it...I'm now thinking she may have a opti app for Linux that is being a pain on the install.

-Gen. George S. Patton

terribleterryc
Cool Member

Post by terribleterryc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for ideas and entertainment today!
The OS was a alpha 4 60 days ago when Boinc worked. With final release of OS in less than a month something got discombobulated.

I uninstalled it (many times) and loaded it using command line sudoing/apt-getting crap. Works fine! I think it was missing client?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BOINC

Rosetta is only using one core of a dual?

danielmid

Post by danielmid » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:50 am

Are your preferences set to 2 processors? Ubuntu also has a known issue with Boinc and throttling back the CPU.
ImageImage

terribleterryc
Cool Member

Post by terribleterryc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:09 am

I left it set (in Rosetta) to up to 4 processors since yoyo is using 4 right now(on one machine). And if we switch to Rosetta in next few days........?

danielmid

Post by danielmid » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:18 am

Do you have the local preferences set too? They might be overriding the web settings.
ImageImage

terribleterryc
Cool Member

Post by terribleterryc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:47 am

I do not see a CPU # on local preferences. Am accessing that from Simple View of Boinc Manager.

danielmid

Post by danielmid » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:12 am

Might only be under advanced. It should say something like "Use ___ number of processors" or something like that.
ImageImage

Astro
Collected Member

Unable to join team at:

Post by Astro » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:05 am

Boincstats seems to still think I'm a Boinc Synergy member, so in an effort to convince it that I left, I just spent an hour or so going to each project and changing teams. However, There doesn't seem to be a team "calm chaos" at Ralph and Lattice.

Is someone planning on fixing this?

tony
[img]http://allprojectstats.com/su1546w26--1-0.png[/img]

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:43 am

I happened to be monitoring some of our team statistics this morning (can't sleep). I just checked over at Boincstats and the team is listed there for both projects. It's probly cuz things haven't been updated over there yet.

RALPH http://boincstats.com/stats/user_stats. ... or=&ti=364
Lattice http://boincstats.com/stats/user_stats. ... or=&ti=325

Astro
Collected Member

Post by Astro » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:43 pm

strange I typed in c into the box, my OS prompted for a "calm chaos", I selected it, and it came back with only some other team at ralph. By searching from the "teams" link on the front page, I found it and joined.

At Lattice, I retried and it found it right away. Anyway, I'm a CC member at every project that I ran, that still has a functioning website. I hope Boincstats gets a clue soon.
[img]http://allprojectstats.com/su1546w26--1-0.png[/img]

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Your listed now here, straight in at number 2. Knocked me out the top 20 :smt019 . Never mind, I just bought a Core 2 Quad Q9300 system which should be up and running for the weekend and get me back up a bit :smt003
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Bird-Dog-1/spitfire2.png[/img]

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:01 am

Yep your there now. Sometimes seems to take a few days. And one reason Im slow at adding new members in. LOL

Rick

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Thu May 01, 2008 1:12 am

Astro wrote:strange I typed in c into the box, my OS prompted for a "calm chaos", I selected it, and it came back with only some other team at ralph. By searching from the "teams" link on the front page, I found it and joined.

At Lattice, I retried and it found it right away. Anyway, I'm a CC member at every project that I ran, that still has a functioning website. I hope Boincstats gets a clue soon.
We do too...LMAO

-Gen. George S. Patton

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Thu May 01, 2008 2:22 am

When I was Sarge on all other projects but had different names on SETI, it would either use the SETI name or display both. It took some time for the change to show when I made everything Sarge again. I suspect you're seeing something similar.
Dark-no-no.

danielmid

Post by danielmid » Thu May 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Bird-Dog wrote:Your listed now here, straight in at number 2. Knocked me out the top 20 :smt019 . Never mind, I just bought a Core 2 Quad Q9300 system which should be up and running for the weekend and get me back up a bit :smt003
I think I'm gonna go with the Q9300 as well. Getting a new mobo in today and I will play with my core 2 duo to see what kinda overclock I can get to determine to go for the Q6600 or the Q9300. Leaning towards the 9300 at the moment.
ImageImage

AC
Compulsive Member

Post by AC » Fri May 02, 2008 12:01 am

The Q9300 has a slight edge. Go for it. :smt023

Astro
Collected Member

Post by Astro » Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 am

The Q6600 overclocked to 2.9 has an edge at most projects I've done compared to my 9600 Black edition (overclocked to 2.616. However the AMD quad IS faster at Milkyway. I suspect that if AMD can get a stable clock at the same speeds as Intel, then AMD will be the more productive CPU.

Let's face it. Cheap Quads are still great.

Astro
Collected Member

Post by Astro » Fri May 02, 2008 12:25 am

Oh yeah, I did a comparison at Simap a month ago. On a "per core" basis, using Simap wus as the standard. I found the following of my processors ranked from fastest to slowest:

AMD64 X2 6000 (35 min/wu)
Intel Q6600 (OCed to 2.9)(40 min/wu)
AMD64 X2 5200 (41 min/wu)
AMD64 9600 Black (OCed to 2.616) (42 min/wu)
AMD64 3700 (45 min/wu)
AMD64 X2 4800 (45 min/wu)
Mobile AMD64 3700 (47 min/wu)
AMD64 2800 (1 hour/wu)

Oh yeah, I have the EXACT same PSU, RAM, Cooler, OS, and Boinc version, and HD on each QUAD system.

ramchaza
Cool Member

Vista?

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:49 am

This is probably somewhere but I didn't see it. Got a new computer, Vista, went to download Bionic but didn't see for Vista? What to do??? Thanks,
Theresa
Live On, Marines!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:56 am

The same version that works for XP should work in Vista, with one exception...when you install it, do not install to the default location, install it to C:\BOINC or anywhere other than the C:\Program Files folder.

In Vista, the Program Files folder is protected, therefore BOINC can not write to that folder.

Later versions of BOINC (currently in testing) will use VIsta's default directory structure of C:\Program Files and C:\Program Data (I think it is Program Data, it's been a while since I looked at Vista).
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:09 am

It worked! First time it didn't, wouldn't install at all, then I did what you said and it's working!!! Success, thanks so much!
Theresa
Live On, Marines!

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:22 am

Next question, how do I get the old SETI screensaver back???? I love it, my all time favorite!
Live On, Marines!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:37 am

The old, pre-BOINC screensaver? Can't be done.

Check the Q&A Boards at SETI, I haven't been in there in quite a while, but there were always at least 3 different threads from people complaining about how bad the new screensaver is compared to the pre-BOINC version. :smt014

ramchaza
Cool Member

Post by ramchaza » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:59 am

I don't know what you mean, Pre-Bionic. I was using WinME on my old system, thru Bionic, and the SETI screensaver ran great, and whatever the project of the month was, that screensaver ran great, too. This is terrible!!
Live On, Marines!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:01 am

I don't crunch much SETI anymore (gasp) and never really did use the screensaver, so maybe someone else can help here, we're at the limit of my knowledge.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:02 am

Hmmm....I know there is a way to get the Seti Screensaver....but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Go to BOINC and click on the Tasks tab....then click on Seti@home....the click " Show Graphics ". If that's the graphics you are looking for...I think there is a way to get it set to be the screensaver.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:07 am

I think Boinc asks when you install it using the single user option whether to make it the screensaver or not. I would assume then that projects that have graphics will be the screensaver when runing.

I don't use the graphics. And for Seti I run the AK app which doesn't have graphics in it. Graphics slows down crunching. I want maximum output and production from the computers I use...
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Return to “BOINC”