General Ongoing Chat.

General Usage.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Re: General Ongoing Chat.

Post by Knightmare » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:48 am

If you have pics Gavin...please post them. I'm sure people here would be interested in seeing them. We're all glad you are safe. Is the worst, except for the cleanup, over now?

MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:53 am

Knightmare wrote:
Buga1 wrote:You really have to search the net to find out much about it here it seems. Im not a total news watcher (tv or newspaper), but I do have it on at times and never seen a thing about it. Only on the net.

Did they give it the fear factor? Here they were all to consumed about the Snow storm which was somewhat big, but turned into a wuss after the hype. "Hundreds to thousands could be without power." "You will be stuck at home for days." It had alot of people freaking out. It had alot to it, but in the end. I could have left the house the next day. Now it did take a good 6 hours of shoveling to get to that point, and lost internet and home phone off and on, but nothing like the local news went on and on about.

I can see though your alls situation should be more worrying, just wondered if they gave it a fear factor like they seem to do with EVERYTHING here anymore.

Rick
" OH MY GAWWWWD!!! THOUSANDS WILL FREEZE TO DEATH! STORES WILL RUN OUT OF EVERYTHING! IT'S SNOWMAGEDDON!!! THE WORLD AS YOU KNOW IT IS GONNA ENNNNNND!!!! " Is that what you are referring to, Rick? LOL

Yup, uh-huh, that's it... no more coffee for you! ;) LOL

And for those who don't have me on their Facebook buddy list-

The word of the day is SNOWMAGEDDON - sponsored by the letter C for Calm Chaos...and by BOINC - distributed computing network.
Last edited by MzSnowleopard on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:18 am

Knightmare wrote:If you have pics Gavin...please post them. I'm sure people here would be interested in seeing them. We're all glad you are safe. Is the worst, except for the cleanup, over now?
The water has long since gone, but it has left a layer of foul mud everywhere that was/is a pain to clean. Pretty much all the important stuff is running, except the river ferries as half the terminals are damaged (or washed away). There are weather predictions for more cyclones and rain, but whether it will be bad enough for a second lot of flooding I don't know. We just have to wait for summer to finish.

There was also some amazing or freaky pictures in the media here showing the power of the water flowing down the river. I personally saw pontoons (with and without boats), a water tank (of about 4 - 5,000L capacity) and a heap of large tree branches fly (and I am not kidding about the flying, the water was flowing that rapidly) down the river. I'll see if I can find some of them showing stuff that happened in other parts of the Brisbane region.

My workplace (rented/leased out by the Health Department), which is across the road from one of the biggest hospital's in Brisbane had about a foot to a foot and a half of water go through the the carpark and ground floor. The lifts are still out of action and I have to walk up the fire stairs to the third floor everyday. Luckily the hospital was okay.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:09 am

Okay, I will have to load the images up over the next day or so. But to give some ideas of what Brisbane went through have a look at the following:

This is a shot of Wivenhoe Dam at 197% capacity. You will see a big lake of water and then a wall just peaking above that lake. That is the 2.3km long earth, clay and rock dam wall. Roughly in the centre of the wall is the spillway with 5 of the largest controlled gates in the Southern hemisphere. It is the only thing stopping all that water flowing down the valley into the Brisbane River and on through the city.

Brisbane Floods: Before and During - Part 1

Brisbane Floods: Before and During - Part 2

This is a series of shots of places before and during the flood of Brisbane from the air. Just move your mouse left and right to see the difference.

The shots of Toowong, West End and St Lucia are nearby to where Lin and I live. Our unit is not in any of the shots, but some of the areas near us are in these shots. The West End shot in the first link, our unit block would be a little way down from the bottom left corner area.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

Image Image

Dune Finkleberry
Special Envoy To Goat Community

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Wow Gavin! Way to make me feel bad about bitching about how cold it is! Those before and after shots are simply mind-boggling! I'd been reading about the weather down-under, but to see it in pics makes me glad to be here. Image

Now I'm wondering how our resident TFFE bat from down-under "Monday" and "Magenta" is doing. I hope you guys get and stay dry. And do take care of yourselves. Image

You know.... wrestling Crocodiles, and stuff in your free time is one thing. But this dealing with tornadoes and floods are something else. Stay safe my friend, stay safe! Image

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 am

An 'online friend' on Facebook was telling me that what y'all in Australia call cyclones- we here in the states call hurricanes. Gavin mentions here that there are weather predictions for more cyclones and rain - these storms often take days to develop- where as tornadoes can develop without warning.

In the science classes I had in school- they taught us that yor part of the world ( the Australia region up through India and parts of Asia) calls them monsoons. Wikipedia doesn't make this connection though.

So, could some one clarify this please - some one from down-under. When you're saying cyclone- is it what we call tornadoes / funnel clouds / twisters.... or is it a hurricane - a fierce storm that takes the shape of a vortex?

Just for added measuer- which way does the vortex churn? Ours churn counter-clockwise.

What are the categories and wind velocities for them?

---------------

On a side topic-

Having grown up in Florida we're pretty much in hurricane territory- so I think about these kind of things from time to time. All things considered- I used to say give me a snow storm over a hurricane any day.

In Spring 2001 I moved to Colorado- survived my first winter there. Then I moved to Iowa in September of 2002. So, I'm actually into my 10th year in dealing with the this weather. June 17th is the 10 anniversary for the day I packed up, left Tampa, and headed out to Denver. Wow it's amazing how much time has passed. my feelings on which one I'd rather be stuff in has changed in that now- they're about equal.... I wouldn't want to be stuck in either one of them. Given the option though- I think that I'd pick a snow storm.

Damn northerners are converting me!!! What's next? Some type of truck instead of a Chrysler LeBaron? or maybe trading in my cats for a dog? This one- never gonna happen- the cats stay.

:smt040

The horsback riding is not a conversion- I've been doing that since I was a kid in Florida. :smt036
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:31 am

Rule of thumb is:

Cyclone = Hurricane (with our cyclones spinning clockwise).

From our point of view, Monsoons are just very heavy rain/downpours and are not necessarily a cyclone. The best comparison is that a Monsoon is usually a tropical depression or tropical low (where the air pressure has dropped but not low enough to be classed as a cyclone). Also monsoons don't necessarily 'spin' like a cyclones but are just a heavy cloud cell moving. Cyclones always have the spinning body.

Generally we don't have tornadoes here (like the USA has the 'Tornado Alley'). However, they have happened and appear with little warning and can be just as powerful as yours (couple of years back a mini tornado went through one of the western suburbs of Brisbane and in less than about 20 minutes had left a trail of destruction). We also get waterspouts which are like tornadoes, but they form over water (usually the ocean) and suck water up.

Cyclones are rated across 5 categories (1 - 5, with 5 being the worst) and probably use the same or similar specifications as the USA. Yasi (the cyclone that just hit) was rated as a category 4/5 when it made landfall. The best comparison is that was very similar in terms of wind power and destructive capability to that of Hurricane Katrina. Yasi had a main body slightly smaller, but approximately the same wind speed.

We probably got lucky with only 1 confirmed death as North Queensland has had many cyclones before and the people are usually prepared. Newer buildings are often made to meet 'cyclone standards' and the area is generally not low lying relying on levies and dykes to protect it (like New Orleans).

This link will show you Yasi's path and life

And this is taken from Wiki:
Because of its great size, many feared that the tropical cyclone could cause damage more severe than Cyclone Larry in 2006 or Cyclone Tracy, which severely damaged Darwin in 1974. Thousands of residents in the path of the storm were urged to evacuate by Queensland Premier Anna Bligh. Thirty thousand people were evacuated from Cairns, including all patients from Cairns Base Hospital and Cairns Private Hospital who were airlifted by the Royal Australian Air Force and other agencies (such as the Royal Flying Doctor Service) to Brisbane. The Queensland state emergency coordinator warned residents that they would be on their own for up to 24 hours, as the conditions would be too dangerous for emergency responders.

Waves as high as 12 m (39.37 ft) were predicted to hit the north Queensland coast as the storm surge caused by Cyclone Yasi combined with a high tide of up to 7 m (30 ft) above average.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 am

Dune Finkleberry wrote: Now I'm wondering how our resident TFFE bat from down-under "Monday" and "Magenta" is doing. I hope you guys get and stay dry. And do take care of yourselves.
Any idea where about in Australia they are? I may be able to get some information on what is happening in their areas.

Image Image

Dune Finkleberry
Special Envoy To Goat Community

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Gavin Shaw wrote:
Dune Finkleberry wrote: Now I'm wondering how our resident TFFE bat from down-under "Monday" and "Magenta" is doing. I hope you guys get and stay dry. And do take care of yourselves.
Any idea where about in Australia they are? I may be able to get some information on what is happening in their areas.
I sent them some merchandise one time, so I know their address. But he's saying it's not really all that bad there. In fact he's lived around there for the last 50+ years, and it's never gotten very bad. But here's part of his mailing address...

Geelong West
Victoria
Australia :smt026

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Knightmare wrote:" OH MY GAWWWWD!!! THOUSANDS WILL FREEZE TO DEATH! STORES WILL RUN OUT OF EVERYTHING! IT'S SNOWMAGEDDON!!! THE WORLD AS YOU KNOW IT IS GONNA ENNNNNND!!!! " Is that what you are referring to, Rick? LOL
Yes KM, thats what I was talking about. All the local stations called it EXACTLY that, "SNOWMAGEDDON". It was somewhat big, but come on, it was just Snow. We have had more snow here than that several times before. It slowed stuff down a bit. But 2 days later is was just like having a dusting. Still huge piles of snow in places, but once you shovled your car out the next day, the roads were not to bad. And by day 2 roads were dry.

Thanks for letting us know more about whats happening down there Gavin. If it wasn't for the net would have never known anything was happening there.

Rick

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Dune Finkleberry wrote:
Gavin Shaw wrote:
I sent them some merchandise one time, so I know their address. But he's saying it's not really all that bad there. In fact he's lived around there for the last 50+ years, and it's never gotten very bad. But here's part of his mailing address...

Geelong West
Victoria
Australia :smt026
Yes. He is pretty much fine in his area. Geelong and Melbourne did get some minor-moderate flooding after the event that flooded most of Queensland, but from what a can see it was not as bad as up North. And he will be fine when it comes to cyclones, they don't go that far south.

Anyway, good to know he should be fine.

Image Image

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 am

Gavin Shaw wrote:We also get waterspouts which are like tornadoes, but they form over water (usually the ocean) and suck water up.

-silly moment-

hey, we use that term too- wow what concept! LOL

seriously- thanks for the info Gavin. Cat 5 is the worst here as well- labeled catastrophic. I think, if I remember correctly, Karina was a Cat 4 just shy of being a Cat 5.

I remember one season Florida was hit with what was called "The No-Name Storm". It had the force, strength, and power- not to mention the punch of a hurricane without the vortex shape. In reading about monsoons on wikipedia- I'm speculating if that's what it was.

The south west united states and mexico have a monsoon season- I had no idea. They didn't teach this in any science class I had.
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:14 pm

OK guys and gals. Have a few weeks of crazyness. But I do think (wheres the wood) most is done now. :o)

Crazy couple weeks. Dishwasher took a dump, literally. Catastrophic failure. And a mess to clean up. A few days later get a new one. During the install of that, the dang clothes dryer went belly up. WTF. I was hoping to blame them on the sun. But neither were electrically related. LMAO. SO off to order another one. Get it 2 days later. Got it all installed, finally thinking, ok What a week. (Knowing in a short time another BIG project was coming). So the next day kicked back watching tv. Then poof. Freakin TV blows up. Kind of literally. 2 somewhat loud pops, and looked like a flash on the wall. Then no tv. AARRGGGGGGGGGGGG. But at least that one had a silver lining. It gave me a reason to get one of those new fangled tvs. lol So off for a new tv.

The next day after the tv gets home. Wife finally said those nasty words. "So, it's gonna be nice this next week. Ready to replace the wall?"

As some might know we had a termite problem a while back. Got it all treated and killed them off, or atleast ran them off cause the are no longer munching on my place. Long story short. For a year we had no living room. as we slowly tore out the inside getting it ready. Now time for the main section. Ripping out a 14 foot front wall. So off we went on that. What a fun week that was. First time I had to go out for supplies. Driving in front of the house with a GIANT whole, seeing your living room all open from the street, is a little disheartening. :o( But a few days later I sure felt alot better. Finished the painting yesterday morning. And now we have our living room back. Yea......

Also can't forget on the 13th our youngest turned 11. So had to plan a party away from the house since it was sick. lol

O and the dumb cat. While replacing the dryer, she wanted to get into the rafters. Easy jump from washer to selves to rafter. But on this accent a gallon jug (half full) of laundry soap jumped out in front of her. So she went tumbling, jug of soap went tumbling. Some how the jug landed up right, but the impact shears off the top and the liquid exploded out like a volcano. All over the laundry room. Dripping from the rafters, walls, lights, new dryer, and ME. So I look for Marble, find her around the corner, COVERED in soap. Grab her and go to the tub to try and wash her. She was already freaked out and a tub of death (in her eyes) made it worse. Needless to say my left arm started to look like shredded beef. With that all happening I couldn't take care of the cat, my arm and a dripping soapy laundry room. Wrapped her in a towel, wrapped my arm in a towel, put her in the carrier and off to the vet. They all got a good laugh when I walked in. Still covered in soap. So they cleaned her, I went home cleaned myself, then the laundry room. Then back to pick her up. That all sucked at the time, but looking back and seeing it all play out in a matter of 2 mins. it was kinda funny. And a plus she smelled like clean sheet day for a few days. LOL

With all that I had no time to keep the POTM and LTP updated and I didn't get the MOTW done. So I am sorry to my CC family. I have been wanting to keep things going here more than before, but I got a little side tracked. I always feel bad when I cant keep things updated the way Id like to.

Rick

purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist

Post by purplemkayel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 am

Don't feel bad *hugs* You do great around here! That cat story has to be the funniest I've heard in a while. I almost wore my coffee :D Hopefully no more mishaps around your place!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:15 am

Ok. So I had a nice big response all typed out and my phone decided not to post it. *sigh* Anyway....stuff happens, Rick. You of all people have earned some 'Time Away In Event Of Life'. Lol.

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 am

Sydney, Sydney, Sydney! I'm in Sydney! Clear enough? I'm in Sydney? Not really sure what I'm doing except sleeping 12 hrs a day. 12 hrs!! Must need some catching up. At this rate I'll need to go to sleep at 6pm to get up at a decent hour *blush*

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 am

@PM: So why are you in Sydney?

Image Image

purplemkayel

Post by purplemkayel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Gavin Shaw wrote:@PM: So why are you in Sydney?
I was told I need a 'change of scenery', or something like that. I'm visiting my brother, although I think my mother hopes I'll fall in love with Sydney and not want to go home.

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 pm

Man Rick, that's a tough few weeks. Sorry I don't live closer or I would have come help you with all that. No apologies needed for real life interventions, we've all been there, and most of us recently lol.

BTW, in the email you sent out, the MOTW poster had my name on it? Unless that's his name also lol
ImageImage

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:06 am

danielmid wrote:Man Rick, that's a tough few weeks. Sorry I don't live closer or I would have come help you with all that. No apologies needed for real life interventions, we've all been there, and most of us recently lol.

BTW, in the email you sent out, the MOTW poster had my name on it? Unless that's his name also lol
LOL Yeah, What Fun. WholeHouse / Attic Fan also took a dump during the few warm days we had a couple days back. Got the new one, but now gotta install. Weeeeeeeee..........

And yes that one was for you, the date should have been from the week you had it just a few weeks ago. I didn't get them out, So I sent out everyones I hadn't yet.

Rick

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:48 am

Hey Rick-

May I use your incident with the cat in the laundry room in one of my stories?
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 pm

MzSnowleopard wrote:Hey Rick-

Yeah, I have no problem with that. But I will have to contact the cats lawyer to get her position? LMAO

And if you haven't seen the change at the site. Please press the F5 key on any CC page. For KM's new look.

Rick

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Buga1 wrote:
MzSnowleopard wrote:Hey Rick-

Yeah, I have no problem with that. But I will have to contact the cats lawyer to get her position? LMAO

And if you haven't seen the change at the site. Please press the F5 key on any CC page. For KM's new look.

Rick
The lawyer shouldn't have a problem as long as I change the names to protect the furries involved.
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 am

[quote="Buga1"][quote="MzSnowleopard"]Hey Rick- May I use your incident with the cat in the laundry room in one of my stories?[/quote] Yeah, I have no problem with that. But I will have to contact the cats lawyer to get her position? LMAO And if you haven't seen the change at the site. Please press the F5 key on any CC page. For KM's new look. Rick[/quote] Ummm...Buga??? You wouldn't perchance be doing things with an old image of me that I can't see would you??? I can't click Fwhatever on my phone so I don't really know if a reaping will be in order. Lmao

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 am

Well I think I have finished for the school year. Got the DVD's done and gone. I learned it takes 14 hours and 28 mins to burn 180 DVD's back to back, between 2 machines. Every 8 mins, change over. Leanered it takes 10 hours and 42 mins to print direct to disc the artwork onto 180 DVD's, with one printer. And another 8 hours to print/cut/insert DVD covers. If it wasn't for the ps3 I would have gone insane. lol. Last year atleast I had almost 2 weeks between the last gig and needing them done. This year, 55 Hours. But anyway.

Wanted to let you all know I will start having the time to get here and do something more often. Still a few strangler things to do, but not the days on end. Hope I wasn't missed, But by the looks of the place, nobody made a mess. lol

Rick

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri May 20, 2011 6:54 pm

No messes that I have seen. Although you might not want to look in the corner over there. I'm not sure WHAT that is. :smt119

sdl735
Collected Member

Post by sdl735 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:47 pm

is it shiny ?

Any day above ground is a good day

Skype S.Leonard63

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat May 21, 2011 12:27 am

Probably a gift from the replacement reaper.

Image Image

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 am

Well as long as it isn't one of those.... ummmm. "Smelly" things. lol. Me likey the shiny.

Rick

Buga1

Post by Buga1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 am

So, who ever sent Loki over to my place, can you please give him a ring and have him come home. lol Really, he has spent enough time here.

Well I will make this quick. As I could make this go on and on. lol Past 3 weeks have been, well, I dont even know how to describe it. Power outages every 36 hours for 2 weeks. (Until finally 5 days ago) Lost 4 power supplies in my systems. (4 systems, all on different days) 2 UPS's fried, 3 others need new batteries. (1 melted down and luckily didn't burn down the house.) IRS audit. Crank Shaft in our car BROKE. Basically taking the block with it. (Who the hell breaks that. Maybe race car drivers or someone driving over a cliff. The latter is sounding better and better though. JK)

So I have been a little pre-occupied. Working more hours and putting on a PT job. I will still be here, doing what I can. But at times it might take me more than a day to reply.

Rick

Red Atomic
Lord of the Avatar

Post by Red Atomic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:54 am

Just a quick update from me, been busy lately. The Dig at the Chapel has been going Very well.
We have found some important artifacts and some mysteries about the building that we are working on.
We even managed to get some publicity on a National level, which is brilliant.
So have a look and listen (Don't worry I didn't manage to get on camera so your monitors are safe :smt119 :smt119 )

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-20/c ... ed/2801934

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-20/c ... rt/2803092
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/redatomic/ClownCC2.gif[/img]

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Excellent, Red.

Good to see things are going well. I couldn't see the stuff in the links until just now.

I hate having my internet access be limited to my phone and sporadic library use. Sheesh.

MzSnowleopard

Post by MzSnowleopard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 am

what about getting one of those wireless connector devices for the USB slot? They're not too pricey are they?
Stats / Web Site / Blog

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:40 am

But then you have to have the service to connect to Snow. It sounds like he doesn't have internet at home right now.

In other news, (drumroll please) the reason I have been absent the last few months and my computers were shut down for awhile was that we bought a house! It's a 2 story 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom + a large den/gameroom. 1700ish square feet in an awesome neighborhood. We decided to get the space now for when we do have a little one so we won't have to upgrade again later. We are finally mostly moved in and got the computers cranked back up.
ImageImage

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:28 am

Good to hear Dan.

Congrats.

Image Image

Return to “General Chaos Chat”