General Ongoing Chat.

General Usage.

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:24 pm

If you would like me to set up Labbie as a mod let me know. And what sections. If you get more you can PM me and Iwill set it up as soon as I can.

Even if someone just wants to mod one section that would be a help.

Rick.

Myron
Chaotic Member

Post by Myron » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:25 pm

Everyone who has not yet provided their info for a shirt please PM me and I cam give you the email address where to send your info.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:26 pm

Buga1 wrote:If you would like me to set up Labbie as a mod let me know. And what sections. If you get more you can PM me and Iwill set it up as soon as I can.

Rick.

Let's have him tell us which sections he wants. I won't pigeonhole him into any specific area.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:26 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I just created a Thread; here:

Chess960 Challenges MAC Users.

This Challenge comes from Rytis and JonasD of the Chess960 Project. Rytis believes MAC to be a secondary and thus lower priority Platform.

JonasD states that with only two, (2), currently known Users registered on the Project as having MAC that they cannot commit their resources to support MAC at this time... (Paraphrased; but accurate...)

Further, JonasD states that SHOULD a minimum Total of 20 MAC Users register at the Project that he will consider putting more resources to the task of supporting MAC OS on the Project.

There is an additional requirement; they ALSO need a MAC OS Developer. So, I hereby challenge ALL MAC Users to Pick Up The Gauntlet! Join Chess960 en mass!!! Show your support for the game of Chess! Show your support and faith that MAC OS, (especially MAC OS X), is a Superior Platform!!! Join the Chess960 Project! Prove Rytis incorrect! Get JonasD to Support MAC OS on Chess960! :D

Happy Crunching,
TimeLord04
Have TARDIS, will travel...

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:27 pm

Knightmare wrote:
Buga1 wrote:If you would like me to set up Labbie as a mod let me know. And what sections. If you get more you can PM me and Iwill set it up as soon as I can.

Rick.

Let's have him tell us which sections he wants. I won't pigeonhole him into any specific area.
It doesn't matter, flip a coin or something.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:31 pm

I guess just set him up for the chat sections. I can cover the rest for now.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Myron, I will be needing a t shirt made with Dark Chaos' name on it also. She is a core member.....cuz I say so....lmao

I am in the process of finding out if she wants it sent directly to her, or if she wants me to have you send it here and then I will send it to her. I will let you know as soon as I find out. I will email you with her address if she wants it sent direct.

Team Rank TC: 5,065 of 43,538
Team Rank RAC: 561 of 43,538

GOOOOOOOO TEAM!!!! LOL

Almost in the top 5000 for total credit. Very cool.

* Oh, and I looked at the join up dates, Dark Chaos IS actually a core member. She was #9 lol *
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Dances with Werewolves
Chaotic Member

Post by Dances with Werewolves » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:33 pm

@ Labbie

Congratulations on the promotion!

Looking forward to agravating you in the future. lol If you need anything just holler ya hear.
[url=http://allprojectstats.com/showteam.php?id=125048][img]http://allprojectstats.com/ts125048a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://allprojectstats.com/showuser.php?id=122105][img]http://allprojectstats.com/s122105a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.unitedboinc.com][img]http://www.unitedboinc.com/news-sig/Black-1-14noqs-4g4s8w.png[/img][/url]

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:34 pm

Myron, I will send you an email with Janine's info for the shirt.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Looks like everything is back up and running. How's everyone today?

By the way, does anybody know how to reduce the size of an avatar? The one I am using here is getting on my nerves... I prefer my other one on the seti site..

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:36 pm

I will try the photobucket. Thanks guy's. Always there with a helping hand..

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:37 pm

Brian,

I assume that you wish to use your Avatar currently on SETI, correct? If so; here's the quick and dirty way to "reduce" the size... :wink:

Go to the SETI Forums. (Anywhere that you have posted where your Avatar is visible.) Then right click on the Avatar; select "View Image", this will open a new window and only your Avatar will be shown - here it will be resized, courtessey of SETI and your Browser! Now right click on the newly shown Image and "Save Image As" - save it to whatever Folder contains your existing Avatars on your Hard Drive. Make sure NOT to name it the same as the "existing" Avatar; if you do, it will replace that Avatar with the new "reduced size" Avatar...

From this point, you can upload the new Avatar to Photobucket; again in Photobucket make sure to name the new image different from your original so as NOT to "replace" it in Photobucket... Once done, you will see your "Original" Large Image in Photobucket with one name, and now the second new image in Photobucket with the new name. Bingo, done, your Avatar has now been resized!!!

:D

3.46KB saved to my Hard Drive and Uploaded to my Photobucket Account for you...

(Right click, and save this one... It's yours.) :wink:
TimeLord04

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Dances with Werewolves
Chaotic Member

Post by Dances with Werewolves » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:39 pm

Debate is posted in the activities thread.

I think I got the essence of the content placed in tact.

DWW
[url=http://allprojectstats.com/showteam.php?id=125048][img]http://allprojectstats.com/ts125048a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://allprojectstats.com/showuser.php?id=122105][img]http://allprojectstats.com/s122105a0a.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.unitedboinc.com][img]http://www.unitedboinc.com/news-sig/Black-1-14noqs-4g4s8w.png[/img][/url]

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:41 pm

BTW, I was looking at the member list. Are there only 14 of us? I thought we were a bigger group than that. Don't get me wrong, 14 quality people will beet out 28 so-so people in my book anyday but for some reason I thought there was more of us..

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:43 pm

Holy cow!!! Firefox 2.0 is AWESOME!!! Again, EXCELLENT JOB, Buga1!!! Keep up the GREAT work!

Is FF 2.0, (having been released just a couple days ago), Mozilla's statement to IE, (regarding IE 7; which I've not downloaded, nor seen yet), to "try again, we're still better"!!!??? Just a thought and question... I've never seen a Browser "underscore in red" as a "Spell Checker" on the fly; never ever, THIS ROCKS!!! I also installed the Weather Tool, "Forecastfox 0.9.3.1"!!! This is truly AWESOME!

Unfortunately; however, there's no "Fasterfox" compatible, yet... So, for now, I've lost that... However, it may not need it; I've noticed, (even with Time Warner still futzing around), that FF 2.0 is loading up pages quicker than FF 1.5.0.7 with Fasterfox!!! (I wonder what a 2.0 compliant Fasterfox will really do, now... Very Interesting!!!)

Fearless Leader and Chief, you should try FF 2.0! Here:

"Firefox.com" - Get Firefox 2.0

Again, Firefox 2.0 ROCKS!!! So does Buga1, and this entire Team!!!

NOTE: For further interest; I have NOT installed the above mentioned "Add-on" of "IE Tab 1.1.1.4"; something else that Buga1 did, yesterday, straightened out the sound automatically in Firefox 1.5.0.7 and Firefox 2.0... (Weird, huh???) Oh well; that's software and programming, for ya... Regardless, GREAT JOB, Buga1!!! Keep it up.
TimeLord04

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:43 pm

TimeLord04 wrote:Holy cow!!! Firefox 2.0 is AWESOME!!! Again, EXCELLENT JOB, Buga1!!! Keep up the GREAT work!

Is FF 2.0, (having been released just a couple days ago), Mozilla's statement to IE, (regarding IE 7; which I've not downloaded, nor seen yet), to "try again, we're still better"!!!??? Just a thought and question... I've never seen a Browser "underscore in red" as a "Spell Checker" on the fly; never ever, THIS ROCKS!!! I also installed the Weather Tool, "Forecastfox 0.9.3.1"!!! This is truly AWESOME!

Unfortunately; however, there's no "Fasterfox" compatible, yet... So, for now, I've lost that... However, it may not need it; I've noticed, (even with Time Warner still futzing around), that FF 2.0 is loading up pages quicker than FF 1.5.0.7 with Fasterfox!!! (I wonder what a 2.0 compliant Fasterfox will really do, now... Very Interesting!!!)

Fearless Leader and Chief, you should try FF 2.0! Here:

"Firefox.com" - Get Firefox 2.0

Again, Firefox 2.0 ROCKS!!! So does Buga1, and this entire Team!!!

NOTE: For further interest; I have NOT installed the above mentioned "Add-on" of "IE Tab 1.1.1.4"; something else that Buga1 did, yesterday, straightened out the sound automatically in Firefox 1.5.0.7 and Firefox 2.0... (Weird, huh???) Oh well; that's software and programming, for ya... Regardless, GREAT JOB, Buga1!!! Keep it up.
My only complaint about FF is that it doesn't scroll cleanly using the arrow keys. The cursor jumps from line to line and if a pic is inline, it jumps to the bottom of the pic all at once.

Maybe it's a setting that I haven't found yet, but I've been all thru the options and haven't found it yet. 2.0 is better than the previous version, but still annoying.

And yes, if you use the scroll bars instead of the arrows, it works fine, but the arrow keys are faster.

Here is a nice article comparing the two browsers: Microsoft scores a goal with IE7

Labbie
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:45 pm

Labbie,

I'm not sure about a specific "setting" to look for; however, maybe there is one... However; FF 2.0 scrolling works fine for me - and other than the Weather gizmotchamathingy Add-on that I installed, all is stock FF 2.0... I can scroll one line at a time with the arrows, the mouse scroll wheel, and yes, the Scroll Bar works the way it should; as well.

I would like to help you get this straightened out; what would you have me look for; and where, in FF 2.0? I'm willing and ready to experiment on my FF 2.0 for you/with you and see if I can at least replicate what you are seeing and experiencing. What do you think? (Also, while this is a slim to none suggestion; could there be a hardware to software incompatibility between your computer and FF 2.0???)

My hardware core specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 1.6GHz with ASUS A7N266-VM/LAN/AA
512 MB RAM, (32 MB set aside for the built in Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce2.)
Built in Sound: NVIDIA nForce APU
Built in nForce MCP Ethernet, 10/100: (Disabled in Win XP SP2)
Built in PCI IDE Controller - Dual Channel(s) - IRQ's 14 and 15
Built in Floppy Controller
Built in Com1, Com2, and LPT1: (Com1 and Com2 Disabled in BIOS)
Built in Game Port/Joystick Port
AWARD BIOS: ACPI BIOS Rev 1004/AA, Aug 23, 2002
USB 2.0: 2 ports on Backplane: One used for Mouse
PS/2 Ports: Two; one used for KBD

Other Components:

Liteon 48x24x48x CD-RW: (On Ribbon to 2Nd Controller @ IRQ 15)
Teac Floppy
Logitech Mouse - USB, Pilot Wheel
Linksys WiFi Card, 802.3 Compliant
Maxtor 6Y080L0, (write caching enabled), 80GB Internal Hard Drive: (On Ribbon to 1St Controller @ IRQ 14)
Keyboard: Old/re-used HP 4440 Multimedia PS/2 style with "Internet" Keys at top of KBD

Operating System:

Windows XP SP2 with all current updates.
TimeLord04

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:47 pm

TimeLord04 wrote:Labbie,

I'm not sure about a specific "setting" to look for; however, maybe there is one... However; FF 2.0 scrolling works fine for me - and other than the Weather gizmotchamathingy Add-on that I installed, all is stock FF 2.0... I can scroll one line at a time with the arrows, the mouse scroll wheel, and yes, the Scroll Bar works the way it should; as well.

I would like to help you get this straightened out; what would you have me look for; and where, in FF 2.0? I'm willing and ready to experiment on my FF 2.0 for you/with you and see if I can at least replicate what you are seeing and experiencing. What do you think? (Also, while this is a slim to none suggestion; could there be a hardware to software incompatibility between your computer and FF 2.0???)

I don't think it has anything to do with hardware, it happens on at least 2 of my PCs. Totally different hardware types although both are Intel CPUs.

If you go to this page (for example) and push the down arrow key on this page does it not take you immediately to the bottom of the page? Then the up arrows make the cursor go thru the section links on the left, with a big jump at the beginning.

As for the settings, the only ones I've found that could affect this are in the Tools | Options | Advanced | General and are "Use Autoscrolling" and "Use Smooth Scrolling". The Autoscrolling is on by default, the smooth scrolling I turned on, hoping it would fix this.

Try the same page in IE (6 or 7, they worked the same way) and notice the difference.

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:48 pm

OK, I went to the "Bloomberg.com" page in your link. (Oh, and I did check to see what FF 2.0 had set for Scrolling; it had Autoscrolling on AND Smooth Scrolling on... I think it defaulted my Smooth Scrolling because I had that checked off in 1.5.0.7.) I can use the mouse wheel, the kbd scroll keys and the scroll bar all normally. The only way I could "jump" from top to bottom of the page was with "Page Up" and "Page Down". Using those, they jumped me 1/3 of the way per key use. 3 Taps of Page Down and I was at the bottom, and 3 Taps of Page Up and I was back at the top...

How about checking your "Scroll" Settings in the OS!? I go to "Control Panel ==> Mouse" Open "Mouse"... Go to "Buttons Tab", find "Scroller ==> Scrolling Size" - mine is set to "3 Lines" Next option is "6 Lines", then "Screen" and "None". Again, I have mine set to "3 Lines". I am using the Logitech Driver that came with the Wheel Mouse; however, and even in "Control Panel ==> Mouse" that is the driver panel that now comes up since installing the Logitech Software... Still, this is a thought, and worth a try. Good luck with this part; do you want me to try something else?
TimeLord04

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:48 pm

I don't have all those settings on my laptop, but I did have a Smooth scrolling option that I enabled, but it didn't make any difference. On my desktop I do have those options and it is set to 3 like yours.

Don't worry about it, I'll stick with IE7. In fact, the only reason I have FF installed is in case any of my customers have any questions about it, and to test things in the forums.

Thanks for trying.

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 pm

You're welcome, Labbie... I'm sorry I couldn't recreate the problem. <sigh> This is exactly why I am not a programmer; too much to diagnose and troubleshoot. I get to a point such as this; and it comes down to either something strange in programming, (which I then cannot diagnose any further), or some conflict between the hardware and the software.

For conflicts; I then go in and modify different and various hardware settings, (turning things on or off), and see if the software then "behaves"... If still there is a problem; but the hardware is working fine for everything else, then I can again point to "something" in the software.

That's usually when someone calls in for software support; because as an IT Tech, (hardware), there's nothing more I can do... It still makes me feel awful that I couldn't resolve the issue... However, I am not about to take programming classes! I'd definitely start losing my hair, or at least start pulling it out. I'm happy I was able to get through "BASIC" at the Junior College I went to from Fall of 1985 to Spring of 1990. (Went on and off during those years...) I wish I could have been of more help.
TimeLord04

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:50 pm

Programming takes an entirely different mindset. You have to break each task into subtasks. For example, try writing down each subtask of picking something up off of a table (forget the mathematics involved in calculating distance, weight, etc.).

It's not just reach out and grab it, it's more along the lines of:

the mind deciding it needs/wants that object
the eyes locating the object on the table
the arm to reach for that object
when in range, the fingers to grasp that object
the arm lifting the object from the table

Of course, your mind is the CPU controlling all these functions.

You've got to be able to break things down like this to be an effective programmer. It's probably easier today than it was when I was programming, since the languages do so much more for you now.

That's part of why I moved away from programming, too much control was taken away by the languages themselves.

I was a real bit head.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:50 pm

You guys suck. LMAO

I have a night off....and none of you are around.

* mumbles to self *
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:51 pm

Well that helps us out a whole lot... <sarcastic mode>

Different subject: Myron and I think we can pull together a kick butt system for D.W.W. We have the Motherboard and Processor picked out, now were waiting for a list of components that D.W.W. has on hand for the rest of it, and the available money he has to put into the system.

From there; Myron can figure out prices on the case and quotes for the Motherboard, Processor, and RAM. Depending on D.W.W.'s liquid cash; we think that 2GB RAM is a good start. If the Motherboard is going to have video and sound built in, (which is an option), the RAM may need to be boosted up to 4GB right away. This is because the on-board video shares RAM, so would the sound card... On a system like the one we're planning, the video card could take 512MB RAM - so on the 2GB Total RAM; that leaves 1.5GB left for the rest of the system...

Myron thinks that because of that, (and I agree with him), that we might be better served in getting a Motherboard without video or sound. Then the 2GB RAM are fully dedicated to the system. But then, D.W.W. needs to either approve a Video Card and Sound Card through Myron, or buy them himself.

Whatever happens; once all the components are in place and ready to ship, all parts come to me. I will build it, and then ship it off to D.W.W. via FedEX.

I'm excited for D.W.W.; I wish I could afford a new system right now.

LOL
TimeLord04

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:52 pm

Team Join Up dates in reverse order.....
17 Oct 2006 yea baby
12 Oct 2006 Cyrus255
09 Oct 2006 Labbie
05 Oct 2006 Bird-Dog
05 Oct 2006 Stephan
05 Oct 2006 DragonFly
03 Oct 2006 Brian
27 Sep 2006 Buga1
16 Sep 2006 Entropy
10 Sep 2006 Chris
07 Sep 2006 Dark Chaos
07 Sep 2006 Myron
05 Sep 2006 Susan
18 Aug 2006 TimeLord04
13 Aug 2006 JCY
03 Aug 2006 Dances with Werewolves
16 May 2006 knightmare
16 May 2006 Enigma
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:53 pm

Hey I'm not sure which way you bend when it come to music but I must recommend to you and all the members one of my alltime fav's. Frank Marino and Mahagony Rush's live album. Specially the song "Poppy". Its about 17 minutes long, no singing and you can see why people actually thought the the spirit of Jimmy Hendrix entered into a young man, took over, gave us another "great one".
Please, you owe your ears this favor.....

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:54 pm

I have heard it...not a big fan....lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:54 pm

I use to be in a band when I was younger, guess I get a bit enthusiastic when it comes to music.. my bad....

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm not taking anything away from them....it's just not my style of music...I like my stuff a lot more crunchy....lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:55 pm

You mean like ..Limp Bizkit, Rage against the machine, Papa Roach, Rammstien, Avenged Sevenfold, Hoobastank, ....

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:56 pm

A7X.....Eighteen Visions....Slayer...Iron Maiden.....Black Label SOciety.....

Limp Bizkit was/is crap...I liked Rage....Hoobastank rocks....
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:56 pm

I like some of the ones you mentioned but I guess I have a broad range of music I like.. with the exception of Country and all but the first 3 years of Rap. Country and Rap just get on my nerves, that and these corporate "female singers" the industry keeps turning out. I like any music if its new, innovative, music that captures a new sound or one that blends genre's for example in the 70's it was Supertramp, Pink Floyd. Bands like these had a new sound. They were true musicians. Today's new innovators are people like Andre 3000, and Limp bizkits eary stuff. These bands I mention are but just a few... If you looked at my IPOD my range goes from Nat King Cole to Paparoach, Sam Cooke to .38 Special, Thousand foot Crutch to Run DMC....

Dances with Werewolves
Chaotic Member

Post by Dances with Werewolves » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm sure glad I updated my profile the other day on chess960@home!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:58 pm

He was "User Of The Day" on that project!!!!
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

TimeLord04
Chaotic Member

Post by TimeLord04 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Here's a funny/strange coincidence... I think I was UOTD on Chess960 the first week I joined that Project! Now we have another Calm Chaos Team Member UOTD from that same Project; in a relatively short period of time.

However; I've been Crunching SETI since March of this year, and still haven't been UOTD there. Also haven't been UOTD on Einstein; either, yet.

Almost 20K of SETI Crunched since March, too... Weird. Whatever, CONGRATS again, D.W.W.!!!
TimeLord04

Come along K-9!
Join Calm Chaos

Return to “General Chaos Chat”