Fifty years ago today: The day the music died

Music Chat W/ Knightmare.
Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:31 am

By Doug Sarti

Today marks the fiftieth anniversary of the death of Buddy Holly, a giant of rock’n’roll and one of America’s most influential musicians.

I figured I’d try writing something about the anniversary without referring to “American Pie”, but it wound up being pretty much impossible.

Don McLean’s ballad, ostensibly about the plane crash that killed Buddy (but for all intents and purposes a reflection on the maelstrom of the 1960s) has become so ingrained in the Holly myth that it’s become difficult to mention one without the other.

And the more I thought about it, the more I realized it’s for good reason. Sure, Buddy was a great musician, and wrote some of the greatest rock’n’roll songs ever written, but he’s also an Eisenhower-era symbol of innocence and America at its zenith. Don McLean realized that early on and really nailed it in his 1971 recording of “American Pie”.

When we mourn for Buddy, we’re also longing for the comfort and illusion of the 1950s. And, since we never had to see Buddy setting his Stratocaster afire at Woodstock, or paunchily playing Vegas in a sequined Aztec sun calendar jumpsuit, we can still look back at him as the sweet kid next door who could play a guitar like no-one’s business.

About twenty years ago, during a cross-country road trip, I stopped in Clear Lake, Iowa, and saw the Surf Ballroom where Buddy played his last show. I also saw the cornfield where his plane went down. It was sad and sobering, but it was also nice to see that the town remembered too, and named a street after Buddy.

Even though Buddy is long gone, we can take comfort in the fact that Buddy’s music has survived. While the songs have gone from acetate to vinyl and on to compact discs and MP3s, they’re still the same great three-chord stompers they’ve always been.

And that’s one hell of a legacy.

[youtube][/youtube]
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

kandus
Calm Member

Post by kandus » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi Labbie,

I took my mom down to the Winter Dance Party in Clear Lake for the Saturday Festivities. She was at the Surf Club for Buddy Holley's performance 50 years ago.

She had a great time (I confess it was alot of fun), mom made me dance the twist and the mash potato and many other really strange dances. I got confused doing the hand jive and accidently punched a guy, thank heavens he had a gret sense of humor.

If you ever get a chance to pass by the Surf Club you will find the lyrics to American Pie written on the wall by Don Mclean.

Kandus

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:54 pm

That's great that someone from here actually made it, even if Mom did have to drag you along. :smt023

Thanks for the note.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:41 pm

I used to live in Mason City, IA which is very close to Clear Lake, IA in fact it now nearly shares a border (didn't whan I was a kid) due to the expansion of business in the area. I knew all about about the crash befor I even knew who he was in real life...now I wasn't around back then but the history still stays with me having been near the place he died.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:05 pm

Dark Angel wrote:.now I wasn't around back then
That's his story and he's sticking to it.
Dark-no-no.

kandus
Calm Member

Post by kandus » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Dark Angel, I'm going to guess you also had to listen to 76 Trombones one to many times living in "River City".

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 am

Yes you would be correct...Mason City is famous for that...if fact I was even in the band there...what's interesting is that the band there is huge.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

-Gen. George S. Patton

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:14 am

Dark Angel wrote:Yes you would be correct...Mason City is famous for that...if fact I was even in the band there...what's interesting is that the band there is huge.
Do they have 76 trombones followed by 110 cornets?

Or is it a band of giants? :smt038
Last edited by Labbie on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am

Labbie wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:Yes you would be correct...Mason City is famous for that...if fact I was even in the band there...what's interesting is that the band there is huge.
Do they have 76 trombones followed by 110 coronets?

No but the Band I marched in was a good 300 strong

-Gen. George S. Patton

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am

Dark Angel wrote:
Labbie wrote:
Do they have 76 trombones followed by 110 coronets?

No but the Band I marched in was a good 300 strong
That is a huge band by any count.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:17 am

I still have ties there...as my father lives there still as well as at least two aunts of mine...so I got family right there in River City.

-Gen. George S. Patton

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:24 am

Dark Angel wrote:I still have ties there...as my father lives there still as well as at least two aunts of mine...so I got family right there in River City.
There's trouble there in River City...

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:28 am

Labbie wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:I still have ties there...as my father lives there still as well as at least two aunts of mine...so I got family right there in River City.
There's trouble there in River City...
LMAO...ya likely right :smt002

-Gen. George S. Patton

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:42 am

Labbie wrote:
Do they have 76 trombones followed by 110 cornets?

"They Might Be Giants."

Then again, they may not be.

We'll get back to you once a decision on whether they are gigantic has been made.

:P
Dark-no-no.

Return to “Knightmare's Music Room”