Religion thread

Did God create man, or man create God?

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:31 pm

I couldn't get past the square blue lights- hurt my eyes
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
MrGray
Cool Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Post by MrGray » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 pm

:smt005

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:07 am



OK so it's a funny parody of scientology...and Tom Cruise
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:29 am

That's just wrong... on so many levels

:smt005
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:35 am



OK here is the original...the question is does it look to you like he is on shrooms...
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am

I've seen the 9 minute chopped one...

like I told one of my friends- it's 9 minutes of Cruise talking about nothing- without saying anything.

He needs to put some verbs into his sentences.

I wouldn't mind seeing the unchopped original full length interview.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist
Posts: 4856
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 am
Location: The Land of Enchantment

Post by Labbie » Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Since the Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord’s Prayer are not allowed in most public schools anymore Because the word “God” is mentioned…. A kid in Arizona wrote the attached:
Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule

For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.

And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That’s no offense; it’s a freedom scene.

The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.

In silence alone we must meditate,
God’s name is prohibited by the state

We’re allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.

They’ve outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the ‘unwed daddy,’ our Senior King.

It’s “inappropriate” to teach right from wrong,
We’re taught that such “judgments” do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.

It’s scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school’s a mess.

So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Fri May 23, 2008 12:17 am

ya know for a country / government that preaches freedom of religion... there sure is are a lot things / people trying to supress others rights to pray and express their Christian beliefs.

It's hypocritical
Last edited by MzSnowleopard on Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member
Posts: 2514
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 am
Location: Australia / Earth Orbit

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri May 23, 2008 12:46 am

And it is not just in the old US. Here in Aus it happens a lot too.

Not that I practice any belief, but I get annoyed that the freedom for others to engage in their belief and practice does not allow the Christian community the same rights.

Now Santa and the Easter bunny are banned in quite a few places (but other religions icons are not). There were even suggestions of getting rid of Christmas, Easter, ANZAC day and Australia day altogether due to 'offending' some groups.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image

Image Image

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Fri May 23, 2008 1:19 am

First Amendment: addresses the rights of freedom of religion (prohibiting Congressional establishment of a religion over another religion through Law and protecting the right to free exercise of religion), freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of petition.

Speaking only of and for myself-

It has been personal experience that in their efforts to exercise their given protected rights by this amendment- people of different religions cross the line. Rather than stopping at the interests of expressing and displaying their religion and faith- people continue on to demand the supression of other faiths.

In example-

Student A can state- your cross earrings are offensive.

Student B by all rights should be able to counter with-

"I am offended by your hyocracy to say this while you wear your pentegram."

For all the teaching and preaching of religious tolerance- we fall short of this in demands against others. If people truly want to see a balance among the faiths- then we need to look to ourselves and hold back.

Both students should be able to wear their relgions symbols without persecution. Sadly, this is not the case in reality.


Like Dr Phil says "never miss a good opportunity to shut up."

This IMO would be one of those times.

As I said- I am speaking personally here- and not for anyone but myself.

If people want the freedom to practice their religion then they need to give this same respect to others.

That being said- this is not to infer that I am against seperation of church and state. That's not what I'm saying at all.

I might get a smack down for saying this but here goes-

Taking the pledge out of schools - to me is unpatriotic-

If they want to take out the reference to God from the pledge just to keep it in schools- that's one thing. Remove the reference - but leave the choice to say it... Don't punish a student because they expressed their beliefs.

The issue of pray in schools is a multi-sided die and the numbers marking the sides have been blurred.

Is it appropriate for a teacher in a public school to lead his or her class in a prayer session? NO.

Should students be allowed to huddle together in prayer? Yes.
By the 1st amendment- this is considered the right to free exercise of religion. To deny students the freedom of choice and forbid them this constitutional right- is a violation.

Note that I'm not calling it persecution- I am calling it a violation. The constitution gives people the protected right to exercise their religion.

If people want to ban prayer and exercise of religion from public schools- then they should also strive to have these protections removed from the amendments.


In regards to banning holidays- it would be rather hard considering that many of the traditional icons and decorations are of Pagan rituals. This was done in an effort to encourage peole to abandon their beliefs for that of God and Christ.

The Christmas Tree, Yule Log, even the Easter Bunny were distorted to the Christian religion for the effort of conversion.

The hypocracy enters with the vain effort to 'avoid offending others" the people pushing the issues ultimately end up offending Christians. As I said in the beginning of this post- Rather than stopping at the interests of expressing and displaying their religion and faith- people continue on to demand the supression of other faiths.

Like an enraged army they pass the equal grounds and surge on to remove the opponent.

It does not have to be this way.
Last edited by MzSnowleopard on Sat May 24, 2008 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member
Posts: 2514
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 am
Location: Australia / Earth Orbit

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri May 23, 2008 1:29 am

I am not going to smack you down Snow. You have good points there.

I guess the thing that annoys me is this.

I am Christian (not that I do anything with it etc) and this religion is the majority in Aus. We are expected to give allowances to the smaller religions. No problem there. But they don't seem to give allowances back. Some even then tell us Christians to keep changing our ways to better suit others (so as not to offend), but at the same time some of the smaller groups keep practicing ways which do offend Christian (but if a Christian says anything, all hell breaks lose).

If Christian pray is not allowed at a school (one of multiple faiths) then all pray should not be allowed. That is fair is it not? All treated equally. If a school is a particular religion based (eg. Christian, Islamic etc) then they can have their pray (as the school is based around that religion) and other religions may have to find somewhere else for pray. But this should apply equally to all the different types. Not just some. But all...
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image

Image Image

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Fri May 23, 2008 1:49 am

That's my point Gavin-

People cry that their religion is persecuted and then turn around and they do not give the same as they demand for their group.

It's the same way here- and it's hypocritical.

I do not use this word lightly- and no one likes being called it.
however, it tends to ruffle feathers- because of this fact.

For as much as people like to point fingers- they hate being pointed AT.


My ex-roommate Cheryl is a Wiccan-

She loves to point out other people's flaws and their mistakes-
She also likes to cry persecution of her "people" by Christians.

The only way to really truly trump and shut her up:

Remind her that when Rome burned- the Romans were Pagans and THEY blamed and persecuted the Christians.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Fri May 23, 2008 8:54 am

MzSnowleopard wrote:ya know for a country / government that preaches freedom of religion... there sure is are a lot things / people trying to supress others rights to pray and express their Christian beliefs.

It's hypocritical
Snow if you really examine the issue you will find there is nothing hypocritical about this...I believe you and I had a discussion on this once regarding politicians and their religious beliefs...truth be told the government doesn't preach freedom of religion nor does the country...and there is a very large difference between preaching and believing in something...now before this gets too deep consider that the constitution set up a separation of church and state...that means no religion in government and should also under freedom of religion mean no government in religion. It's very dangerous mixing the two...look to any theocracy like iran and you will see just how dangerous it is. Now don't get me wrong nobody is trying to change a persons religious beliefs nor should they...the point is that it's not hypocritical to separate the two...it's what this country was founded on so that religious freedom could exist or ones choice not to participate in religion or feel forced to do so. It was also done so that Religion could not seize control of government and force itself upon the people...in other words it was set up to support free will. One has to look at both sides of this coin when discussing this issue...most can't do that because they are either blinded by their faith or intolerance of others faith.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Fri May 23, 2008 9:57 am

Speaking only of and for myself-

I might get a smack down for saying this but here goes-

Taking the pledge out of schools - to me is unpatriotic-
DA preparing to lay the smack down...ok here it goes on this one...Unpatriotic...no...I grew up saying the pledge of allegiance every morning like a ritual...what I didn't know at that age was this was a fear based attempt implemented in I believe the 1950's due to Communism...at the time the common belief was that the communists and their belief in the eradication and suppression of religion was in direct odds with what this nation was built on...so they cooked up this plan to indoctrinate all children by forcing a pledge of allegiance on them...what child understood at that age what it meant to pledge allegiance to the flag. In a way this could be considered false idol worship if taken to the extreme...however in it's form it started without the words "in God" which was later added...this stood for many years but has been challenged many times...is it unpatriotic to remove the pledge of allegiance...I say no...patriotism doesn't come from a pledge it doesn't come from a pin or a posture of a person patriotism comes from within a person as a love for their country and the core of what that country was founded on...take into consideration what some people find to be patriotic...follow blindly your leaders and support them unconditionally, support the troops, support the war on terror, belief that ones country should be able to do what it wants when it wants...in truth the constitution states that we should question and challenge our leaders...we should act to take back our government when someone moves to suppress the peoples will, and I can't tell you how much I loath the average persons use of "support the troops"...as a veteran I find it offensive, what people think this means...it's not what most people think...and people are truly clueless on what it means in this day and age...roll back about 60 years and support the troops took on a wholly different idea...likewise it really irritates me that people slap a magnet on their car in the form of a yellow ribbon with the words "support the troops" on it and they somehow seem to get this warm fuzzy feeling that they are doing the right thing and that by buying and displaying a want to do so they are supporting the troops...they aren't, they are supporting a company that imports cheap magnets from China and sells them at a considerable markup so that people may alleviate their guilt for not really doing anything and so that they may say "Hey I support the troops" I would say to any one of them so what have you done to support our troops what have you done to help them out...what have you done except for display a stupid cheaply made over priced magnet from China...what have you really done...in my view that's false patriotism...in my book it's asinine for them to believe that they are being patriotic...I signed my name on the line I served this country I gave of my time and I volunteered and it kills me to see people waive a flag and make off like they are patriotic and then call out anyone who doesn't see it their way and isn't quite as overzealoused with their misplaced bravado...the vast majority of people need to reexamine this paradigm. Consider this less then 1% of the population of the united states has served or is serving in the military and then ask yourself who'd patriotic and who isn't.
If they want to take out the reference to God from the pledge just to keep it in schools- that's one thing. Remove the reference - but leave the choice to say it... Don't punish a student because they expressed their beliefs.
I have never heard of anyone being punished for saying the pledge...I'd like to see one clear cut case of this.
If people want to ban prayer and exercise of religion from public schools- then they should also strive to have these protections removed from the amendments.
This is dangerous...plain and simple...remember that public schools are run by and provided by the government and they are in fact a government entity funded for by the government. Taking the religion out of public schools is only following the constitution and the ideas of the founding fathers...seeking to remove this from the constitution is paramount to throwing what this country was founded on away...don't get me wrong I understand the point that you are trying to make...however it's a little bit twisted when you are advocating freedom of religion and in the same thought saying that people should seek to undo the constitution...I think this is a common conservative argument that by removing religion from and keeping it from becoming entrenched in government that the same people are somehow striving to suppress everyones freedom of religion and their freedom to practice their religion...this simply is not the case they are simply drawing the line between church and state...the same people that cling to this argument are often the same people with a religious agenda for government...again these are the same people who would like to see religion meddle with government in an attempt to progress their agenda for control and dominance.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist
Posts: 4856
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 am
Location: The Land of Enchantment

Post by Labbie » Fri May 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Let me preface this by stating that I am far from being a religious zealot, do not practice any religion on a regular basis, I have studied many religions and even took a religions of the world course in college, but I can see hypocracy as easily as the next person, maybe better since I have studied many religions. I posted the "kid from Arizona's" prayer mainly because I thought it was funny, in a satircal way.

And I'm not picking on you DA, but you did provide the counter arguement.
now before this gets too deep consider that the constitution set up a separation of church and state...that means no religion in government and should also under freedom of religion mean no government in religion.
Actually, all the constitution says is that there will be no government sponsored religion. It doesn't say that there can be no religion in government facilities. It has been reinterpreted by some to mean what you posted. In all actuality these days, government is everywhere in our lives, and religion is too. you can't get away from either one unless you're living in a shck in the woods like the unabomber. And this group is not in fact anti-religion, they are anti-Christian. Every session of Congress begins with a prayer. The Supreme Court has the 10 Commandments on the wall every day. Why don't the anti-Christians attack these practices? Because they know they will lose that battle.
however in it's form it started without the words "in God" which was later added...
The words are actually "under God". But you are right, those words were added in the 1950s in response to the "godless communists" attempting to take over the world.

When I was in school we said the pledge every day in public elementary school, and followed it with a prayer (OK, it was in Oklahoma, the buckle of the Bible Belt). Every day a different person led the pledge and the prayer, Christians and Jews (I don't remember that we had any other religions in my classes, but it was a looong time ago), and no one ever got upset. No one's parents got upset. The prayers were always very generic, "god", not "God".

And to me, the problem isn't what some are trying to do, i.e., take religion out of the classroom (which will never happen completely, especially on test days :smt023 ), it is that they are persecuting Christians as the majority here in the US. Other, smaller (at least smaller in the US), religions are allowed to do things that Christians are not.

And the persecution of Christian holidays, especially at Christmas time, has gotten completely out of control. Can't have Nativity scenes, not only at schools, but even on any public property. Can't have Santa Claus, he is representative of a Christian Saint. Can't have a star, because that's what the wise men followed to find the baby Jesus.

In the US, there is a very small, very vocal, minority that wants to get rid of all religions, but instead of attacking all religions, they are attacking just Christianity and giving wide sanctions to the others.

What ever happened to "do unto others..."?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Sat May 24, 2008 1:25 am

Labbie wrote:Let me preface this by stating that I am far from being a religious zealot, do not practice any religion on a regular basis, I have studied many religions and even took a religions of the world course in college, but I can see hypocrisy as easily as the next person, maybe better since I have studied many religions. I posted the "kid from Arizona's" prayer mainly because I thought it was funny, in a satirical way.

And I'm not picking on you DA, but you did provide the counter argument.
now before this gets too deep consider that the constitution set up a separation of church and state...that means no religion in government and should also under freedom of religion mean no government in religion.
Actually, all the constitution says is that there will be no government sponsored religion. It doesn't say that there can be no religion in government facilities. It has been reinterpreted by some to mean what you posted. In all actuality these days, government is everywhere in our lives, and religion is too. you can't get away from either one unless you're living in a shack in the woods like the unabomber. And this group is not in fact anti-religion, they are anti-Christian. Every session of Congress begins with a prayer. The Supreme Court has the 10 Commandments on the wall every day. Why don't the anti-Christians attack these practices? Because they know they will lose that battle.
however in it's form it started without the words "in God" which was later added...
The words are actually "under God". But you are right, those words were added in the 1950s in response to the "godless communists" attempting to take over the world.

When I was in school we said the pledge every day in public elementary school, and followed it with a prayer (OK, it was in Oklahoma, the buckle of the Bible Belt). Every day a different person led the pledge and the prayer, Christians and Jews (I don't remember that we had any other religions in my classes, but it was a looong time ago), and no one ever got upset. No one's parents got upset. The prayers were always very generic, "god", not "God".

And to me, the problem isn't what some are trying to do, i.e., take religion out of the classroom (which will never happen completely, especially on test days :smt023 ), it is that they are persecuting Christians as the majority here in the US. Other, smaller (at least smaller in the US), religions are allowed to do things that Christians are not.

And the persecution of Christian holidays, especially at Christmas time, has gotten completely out of control. Can't have Nativity scenes, not only at schools, but even on any public property. Can't have Santa Claus, he is representative of a Christian Saint. Can't have a star, because that's what the wise men followed to find the baby Jesus.

In the US, there is a very small, very vocal, minority that wants to get rid of all religions, but instead of attacking all religions, they are attacking just Christianity and giving wide sanctions to the others.

What ever happened to "do unto others..."?
Thanks for the clarification Labbie...you are right it is/was "under God" that's a simple mistake made at 4AM as to the other correction yes you are correct no state sponsored religion however that's exactly what it means if a teacher leads a child in the pledge if it has the words "under God" attached to it. Yes there is a very active minority anti christian group out there that do attack the traditional christmas holiday however most people have forgotten the real meaning of christmas to begin with...I do not support nor do I condone that group as I do not support nor condone the very active conservative religious zealots. I think they are both wrong...I take a more moderate approach to the whole thing. I think that religion should not be supported nor endorsed by government nor should it be meddled with by government unless it poses a clear and present danger to the public, children, other groups or religions, or the people themselves...in other words I believe that there is real danger in cults groups that abuse children or groups that preach hate towards others. For instance what is happening right now with the fundamentalist FLDS group in Texas and what has happened with many Cults throughout time. Outside of them causing a danger to others or themselves or children...let them be...even the ones who don't believe in religion at all. To this end you could call me more of a supporter of the constitution then of any one group...I see their reasons and I see their agendas and while I understand most of what they do and why I support very little of it. Each person should be free to choose how they wish to worship...though I do see issues in this day and age with large public displays that are over the top that could be deemed as offensive to another group or individual...remember what we may not have an issue with someone else may...not that they are right or wrong about why they have an issue with it. I know it's a very fine razors edge but it's one that I walk. Having been exposed to many many different religions from being a wedding photographer I respect them all and I tolerate them all even if I don't subscribe to them all. In many ways I draw some pretty interesting correlation's between them...they have many things in common they just approach them different ways.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sat May 24, 2008 2:53 am

DA-

While I do agree with what you say about patriotism I feel that you missed my point entirely. This response alone tells me that you have.
I have never heard of anyone being punished for saying the pledge...I'd like to see one clear cut case of this.
Students face punishment for expressing their religion. People have publicly admonished people for praying in public. This is the point I was trying to make.

If people want to ban prayer and exercise of religion from public schools- then they should also strive to have these protections removed from the amendments.
This is dangerous...plain and simple...remember that public schools are run by and provided by the government and they are in fact a government entity funded for by the government. Taking the religion out of public schools is only following the constitution and the ideas of the founding fathers...seeking to remove this from the constitution is paramount to throwing what this country was founded on away...don't get me wrong I understand the point that you are trying to make...however it's a little bit twisted when you are advocating freedom of religion and in the same thought saying that people should seek to undo the constitution...I think this is a common conservative argument that by removing religion from and keeping it from becoming entrenched in government that the same people are somehow striving to suppress everyone’s freedom of religion and their freedom to practice their religion...this simply is not the case they are simply drawing the line between church and state...the same people that cling to this argument are often the same people with a religious agenda for government...again these are the same people who would like to see religion meddle with government in an attempt to progress their agenda for control and dominance.
Of course it’s dangerous- no one wants to see the government establish a national religion. But again- you miss my point.
however it's a little bit twisted when you are advocating freedom of religion and in the same thought saying that people should seek to undo the constitution
Again- a comment that proves you miss my point. I tried to be as clear as I possibly could- but apparently I wasn’t. My examples were to show that people- the citizens are the hypocrites… They want “Christian symbols” removed from site and yet they want to be able to express their own beliefs.

People have called on the protection of the first amendment when it comes to protecting their beliefs- but when it comes to Christianity- they want it gone from site.


I find it extremely hypocritical that ‘non-Christians” have the audacity to flaunt their beliefs symbols and icons- and then… turn around and complain because a Christian is wearing a cross necklace, or displays a Christian icon on themselves.

THIS is the hypocrisy I am speaking of.

So perhaps in the effort of tolerance there should be ZERO allowance. This being that ALL religious icons and images should be banned from public schools- including jewelry, clothing, marks on book covers, stickers and items in lockers and tattoos being covered. But then- isn’t that leaning towards communism?

There’s a middle ground somewhere- people just have to see it.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Sat May 24, 2008 3:35 am

Snow I didn't miss your point at all, I went right at it...

First I would like to see a clear cut case of punishment for saying the pledge...which nobody has shown me

Second I would like to draw your attention to the statement that you made...

"If people want to ban prayer and exercise of religion from public schools- then they should also strive to have these protections removed from the amendments."

Sounds pretty clear cut to me...

The fact of the matter is I see your argument and you're making the claim that they should be working to take it out of the constitution if they are working to take it out of schools...that's like trying to kill a fly with a cannon...it's effective but over the top...and this is the clear misconception that most people have. Voicing their argument that it's wrong to remove state lead teacher led government mandated religion from schools is just the first step to killing religion...it's not it's simply a balancing of the scales...constitutionally speaking...to me this argument is a clear cut case of hypocrisy too...it's over the top and people are fearfull of stuff they feel is a personal attack to their beliefs...it is certainly misunderstood by those that support the cannon approach...in reality it takes a scalpel not a broadsword.

I think instead that many have a great misunderstanding of the issue that is at the heart of this debate...mainly because to understand it is to remove ones self from it to look at it from another vantage point, only then can one truely see it for what it is.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sat May 24, 2008 4:39 am

Although I do find your interpretation interesting- it is not what I am trying to say.

Still I now feel like you're not listing or actually reading what I'm saying.
Perhaps using the pledge because of the " under god " was a bad example. My intent was NOT to say that people are punished for the pledge- but that they are being punished for wanting or exercising their beliefs in public.

please- draw your attention to my statement:

Students face punishment for expressing their religion. People have publicly admonished people for praying in public. This is the point I was trying to make.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Sat May 24, 2008 4:47 am

MzSnowleopard wrote:Although I do find your interpretation interesting- it is not what I am trying to say.

Still I now feel like you're not listing or actually reading what I'm saying.
Perhaps using the pledge because of the " under god " was a bad example. My intent was NOT to say that people are punished for the pledge- but that they are being punished for wanting or exercising their beliefs in public.
yes public is not always the right place for stuff like that...on the other hand I haven't seen anyone "punished" yet for exercising religious beliefs by the government of this country...I think the word you are looking for is ostracized...
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sat May 24, 2008 4:56 am

oh- I'm not talking about government punishing the people-

I'm talking about the people punishing the people.

like in my initial examples:
Student A can state- your cross earrings are offensive.

Student B by all rights should be able to counter with-

"I am offended by your hyocracy to say this while you wear your pentegram."

More than likely "Student B" is the one who would be in trouble for being 'insensitive and inconsiderate" of Student A.

Because that's the way soceity rolls.
And no one wants to upset the apple cart- so they allow it to happen.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Sat May 24, 2008 5:11 am

MzSnowleopard wrote:oh- I'm not talking about government punishing the people-

I'm talking about the people punishing the people.

like in my initial examples:
Student A can state- your cross earrings are offensive.

Student B by all rights should be able to counter with-

"I am offended by your hyocracy to say this while you wear your pentegram."

More than likely "Student B" is the one who would be in trouble for being 'insensitive and inconsiderate" of Student A.

Because that's the way soceity rolls.
And no one wants to upset the apple cart- so they allow it to happen.
So this is theory only...not factually based...ok then...playing devils advocate...I would ask how do you know? In order to be "punished" there has to be some sort of authority figure however...like I said the word you are looking for is ostracized...
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Contact:

Post by danielmid » Sat May 24, 2008 5:28 am

I don't remember reading anywhere in the Bill Of Rights, or The Constitution that people have a right not to be offended.
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Sat May 24, 2008 5:36 am

danielmid wrote:I don't remember reading anywhere in the Bill Of Rights, or The Constitution that people have a right not to be offended.
like the bumper sticker says if you're not offended then you're not paying attention...LMAO
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sat May 24, 2008 6:03 am

So this is theory only...not factually based...ok then...playing devils advocate...I would ask how do you know? In order to be "punished" there has to be some sort of authority figure however...like I said the word you are looking for is ostracized...

Specifically “socially ostracized”

It's not a theory, it's a social fact. Getting enough people together of like minds makes things happen. Just take a look at high school students; they separate themselves into social classes and cliques. There are divisions of cheerleaders and Jocks, the Geeks and Nerds, Outcasts and Non-conformists and so on. People who have a social group to move in generally accept a set of ‘unwritten rules’. When some one steps out of line or does something the group does not approve of they are ‘punished’ by being ostracized. Whether this is temporary or permanent is usually determined in time.

As for the ‘authority figure’ this can be one person or sometimes, it can be an entire group. And to answer your question of how I know, without giving details, it’s happened to me personally.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member
Posts: 2514
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 am
Location: Australia / Earth Orbit

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat May 24, 2008 7:08 am

Talking about being offended or being shunned or even ostracized. That happens to me & Lin, but has nothing to do with religion.

It is all to do with the fact that I, an Australian of English or western heritage, chose a Chinese girl to be with.

We have both seen people (of both western origin and asian origin) look at us with contempt and even make comment to others. Some seem to find it offensive that people marry outside their origin or ethic group.

But my family couldn't care less. They are happy with Lin and she has a family here in Australia that she can (and is already considered to) be part of.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image

Image Image

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sat May 24, 2008 7:20 am

I know how that goes Gavin- I've been ostracized for many different and ultimately shallow if not stupid reasons.
The biggest one- I'm 5 ft 6 1/2 in and 206 pounds. Some people look at me in disgust, guys look at my chest in lust, and girls treat me like a threat because of the same them.
And yet my so called friends try to sabotage my efforts to lose weight.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
Red Atomic
Lord of the Avatar
Posts: 743
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:21 am
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Post by Red Atomic » Sat May 24, 2008 7:32 am

Gavin Shaw wrote:Talking about being offended or being shunned or even ostracized. That happens to me & Lin, but has nothing to do with religion.

It is all to do with the fact that I, an Australian of English or western heritage, chose a Chinese girl to be with.

We have both seen people (of both western origin and asian origin) look at us with contempt and even make comment to others. Some seem to find it offensive that people marry outside their origin or ethic group.

But my family couldn't care less. They are happy with Lin and she has a family here in Australia that she can (and is already considered to) be part of.
Sorry to hear that Gavin.
[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/redatomic/ClownCC2.gif[/img]

User avatar
Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member
Posts: 2514
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 am
Location: Australia / Earth Orbit

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat May 24, 2008 9:46 am

Snow - You really need better friends Snow. Real friends would help you, not play games with you. As for the guys you describe, well they are shallow, same with the girls you feel threaten. Mmmmm, girls feel threaten because of your (can't think what word to put here without making it sound wrong) must really have a problem. Probably that all they have is their looks etc and have no character / personality.

Red - I don't lose any sleep over it. Because I am happy, Lin is happy and our families are happy. I don't care what immature people think. But I thought it was worth mentioning since we got onto the topic somewhat. Besides, Lin's highlight of the month was going looking at wedding dresses with her friend and my grandmother. And Lin's cousin is getting married tomorrow (25th).
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image

Image Image

User avatar
MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder
Posts: 3045
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:48 am
Location: Outta My Frakkin Mind
Contact:

Post by MzSnowleopard » Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks Gavin- your sensitivity means a lot to me. I'm okay with phrases like "tah-tahs" and 'my / your girls' but others are just crude. Those people aren't in my life anymore so yeah, I'm looking for new friends.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog
Image

User avatar
FearandLoathing
Cool Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:08 am

Post by FearandLoathing » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:32 pm

I'm agnostic but align myself with beliefs of ancient religions as I find them to be more spot on then that of monotheism. As an agnostic however these ideas are always changing. I just find it difficult to lay belief in the foundation that one God created all of this in seven days and seven nights, whereas multiple God's possibly could have.

As far as what I follow, personally I like the Mayan theology (even if I don't understand a good chunk of it). As well with the ancient civilizations of Greece and Rome (Pagan I suppose they call it, but I don't consider myself Pagan at all).

AC
Compulsive Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: It's hot

Post by AC » Sat May 09, 2009 10:26 pm


User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Sun May 10, 2009 2:07 pm

Interesting...what I'd like to know is what was seen in the hallway. [smilie=angel.gif]

To me it looks like sunlight through a window hitting the wall...one only needs to look at the floor to see the clearer reflection less "blown out" to coin the photographic term.

But though I do see how they could believe...the analytical part of my brain that I use to continually deconstruct photographs to in a way reverse engineer them and by doing so to learn from them tells me it's something other then what they think it is.

Here's the funny thing...show the same image to a paranormal researcher and they would likely say a ghost...show it to a UFO believer and they would likely see something all together different...so what is it really. Well from a photographic standpoint it's reflected sunlight that is overpowering the aperture of the camera which as I stated above can be clearly seen reflecting in the waxed floor with less intensity due to the direction that it's taking in getting to the lens of the camera.

The real story is that Bigfoot was sited in a room down the hall...just kidding. [smilie=gve.gif]
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

User avatar
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:27 am
Contact:

Post by Knightmare » Sun May 10, 2009 6:16 pm

That could be an explanation, DA.

But. It would have to be determined whether or not there is a window or a glass doorway that would let the light in to reflect the way you describe.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Image
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Image

User avatar
Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by Dark Angel » Tue May 12, 2009 4:47 am

Knightmare wrote:That could be an explanation, DA.

But. It would have to be determined whether or not there is a window or a glass doorway that would let the light in to reflect the way you describe.
Ya or it could be an angelic force in the form of light that just happened to pose for the camera...it's kinda like finding Jesus face in tofu.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

Post Reply

Return to “Religous Discussion”