Enigma
Keeper of the Calm

Abortion

Post by Enigma » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:46 pm

And so it should be!

Anti-abortion group barred from schools
Sean Nicholls Diary Editor
June 13, 2009

A LIFE education program created by an organisation with ties to anti-abortion groups in Australia and the United States was endorsed by the NSW Education Department for use in public schools. But after the links were raised by the Herald , the department yesterday banned the group from visiting schools and announced a review of the processes that led to its approval.

The Wonder of Life (Before Birth) was approved by the NSW Department of Education and Training in March to be taught in years 5 and 6 as part of the Personal Development, Health and Physical Education curriculum. However the program's creator, Bruce Coleman, has strong links to anti-abortion groups both here and in the US.

Mr Coleman is a former executive director of the anti-abortion lobby group, NSW Right to Life, a member of the management committee of Fred Nile's Christian Democratic Party, and an unsuccessful CDP candidate at the 2004 election.

In an interview with the Herald, Mr Coleman said the program was "very much biology", that he "doesn't get involved in the politics at all" and does not mention abortion "in the primary context" because it is "not appropriate". However, when abortion is raised, he responds by "explaining to them the value of life. I just state clearly that abortion is the taking of an unborn life", he said.

Mr Coleman's company, The Choices of Life Incorporated, is the Australian distributor of anti-abortion merchandise marketed by the US company Heritage House, some of which, such as a range of life-sized foetal dolls, is used in the program for NSW schools.

The Choices of Life was set up in 2007 with the support of the Liberal MP for Epping, Greg Smith.

Mr Smith, a former president of NSW Right to Life, said he did not see a problem with Mr Coleman's program being taught in public schools.

An expert in sex education in schools, Associate Professor Anne Mitchell of La Trobe University, said it was entirely appropriate for children in years 5 and 6 to be taught about conception, pregnancy and life in the womb.

"My problem would be if it's put in an ideological framework, if it's being used to influence people's thinking about abortion."

A spokesman for the Department of Education and Training said it was reviewing how the program was approved.

"Until that review is completed, the performance has been removed from the department's website and the company responsible for the presentation has been informed that they are not authorised to deliver the presentation in NSW public schools," he said.

Mr Nile did not return calls.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/antiabor ... -c641.html
Belief gets in the way of learning.

[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s62/enigmachaos/calmbnecromonger.png[/img]

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:37 am

An expert in sex education in schools, Associate Professor Anne Mitchell of La Trobe University, said it was entirely appropriate for children in years 5 and 6 to be taught about conception, pregnancy and life in the womb.

"My problem would be if it's put in an ideological framework, if it's being used to influence people's thinking about abortion."
...and right here is where it crosses the line...and he starts double talking.
In an interview with the Herald, Mr Coleman said the program was "very much biology", that he "doesn't get involved in the politics at all" and does not mention abortion "in the primary context" because it is "not appropriate". However, when abortion is raised, he responds by "explaining to them the value of life. I just state clearly that abortion is the taking of an unborn life", he said.
Kids are very impressionable at that age and presenting them with facts regarding Sex Ed is one thing but there is no place for the abortion discussion at that age...just the mere statement alone regarding abortion is a veiled attempt at implanting an ideological framework on these kids who just found out about the process of life. How much more devious can one be then to follow something like that with a statement like he does...what I can't believe is that they approved it to begin with.
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

Sparrow
Cool Member

Post by Sparrow » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Children of any age need to have their questions about biology and human reproduction answered clearly, in terms they can understand. The amount of information should be appropriate to the child's age. In my experience, this is usually a matter of saying less, not more.

As far as I'm concerned, involving 6 yr-olds (or 10 yr-olds) in a discussion of abortion is child abuse, plain and simple. Even teenagers have difficulty with complex, emotionally loaded questions or choices. What sort of insane freak would engage a small child in the abortion debate?
"Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living...that's something else!" (Han Solo)

"If you try to stop us, or vamp out in any way, I'll stake you without even thinking twice!" (Edgar Frog in "Lost Boys")

Enigma
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Enigma » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:35 am

Dark Angel wrote:what I can't believe is that they approved it to begin with.
"A spokesman for the Department of Education and Training said it was reviewing how the program was approved. "

I think they are re-thinking their screening and approval processes.
Belief gets in the way of learning.

[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s62/enigmachaos/calmbnecromonger.png[/img]

Return to “Religous Discussion”