Do "Good" and "Evil" exist?

Did God create man, or man create God?

sreed
Calm Member

Do "Good" and "Evil" exist?

Post by sreed » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:51 am

I have asked this question to individuals and I always get the same answers. "Of course they do".......etc. I always pose to them that they can only exist if they can be independent of each other. And we know that they rely on each other. We humans have attached these terms to our various personel situations. To make since of what we feel. What do you think?
Last edited by sreed on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

sreed
Calm Member

Re: Do "Good" and "Evil" exist?

Post by sreed » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:11 am

I must reply to this myself, as I believe that no one will. I know this is not a popular subject as it strikes at the heart of our humanity and is not an easy thing to disseminate. I do hope that someone will at least attempt a stab at the subject.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:29 am

whops. misread the post. I will come back later and address the question.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:34 am

By the way. It will sometimes take a few days for people to respond to a post. Especially in reply to a topic such as this one. It's actually a very good question. There is also a 2 post minimum thing that let's us know you aren't a bot or something. I must admit, though, if a bot was programmed to make THAT kind of post...I'd be highly impressed. Welcome. :-)

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:30 am

To be honest I wasn't sure whether the first post was from a bot or not.

Apologies if you are a real person interested in being here as a member, but the initial post seemed to follow a style similar to that of some of the bots and/or human spammers that occasionally show up here.

Since your second post was a week later I will accept that you are a real person. Welcome.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 am

In response to your question.

For humans, maybe. My view depends on the context and definitions. This is a side effect of being scientific/academic minded.

For technology, no. Technology is a tool made by us. How we use it determines whether it will be to our benefit or not. Again whether its use is good or evil comes back to my first point.

And my views have no relation to religion, as I do not take a religious point of view to life.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Well..if that is a bot I haven't seen one post an intellectual question like that. LOL. In response to the question...I don't necessarily think good and evil have to rely upon each other to exist. There are many examples of one happening without the influence of the other. Would the people who lived near the concentration camps in WWII be considered evil for not doing anything? Or would it be that they were frightened of what would happen to themselves and their families if they did?

dougdegraw
Calm Member

Post by dougdegraw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I think there are varying degrees of each - tempered not only by action but intent. Like the man who kills an intruder while defending his home and family. The action itself can be considered evil, but it is moderated by the intent of protection. Likewise good actions can be done for evil purposes, like the politician who initiates a charity in order to increase their personal power at the expense of others. While the intent and later actions are dark, the action does help people. So nothing can be completely clear cut.

The way I view it though is not so much in the terms of good/evil, but as positive/negative. Help adds to the positive, harm to the negative. And through my particular belief, while it is preferable to do no harm - if you must, then you must also be prepared to accept the consequences thereof.
Love to stay and chat, but can't ...
Got this thing ... Well, four things really ...
Well, four things and a lizard.

purplemkayel
Calm Chaos Certifiable Lobbyist

Post by purplemkayel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:23 am

"Good" and "Evil" only exist if people see them as such. Personally, I think situations, things, events, whatever are coloured by each person's own view and shouldn't be seen as being good or evil. They harm or they benefit. They can also harm and benefit at the same time. Stuff happens, but not because of some concept of "Good" and "Evil".

MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder

Post by MzSnowleopard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 am

I say yes good and evil does exist. While it's true that by our conception nothing is black and white, there is a measure of 'true evil' and 'true good'. We believe that the universe gives us certain inalienable rights simply because we are born. Anything that violates these ‘cosmic rights’ is considered evil. The abuse of a person, animal, etc is evil. Even the abuse of self such as alcoholism and drug addiction violates these rights. This is because it’s the abuse of self.

I agree that a good way to measure whether a thing is good or evil is to see if it’s helpful or harmful. However, I personally question the value of something that has both good and bad aspects. How can something be called good when there's a bad part?

For example- take the economy... please. And while you're at it take politics away too.

Are these things good or evil? Even communism works- in theory. However, just because something appears to work on paper does not mean it will work in practice.

Many people consider these as necessary evils. We need to have them in order for society to work. Without them we may as well live in chaos.

In another example- I remember a seeing a report on the news about this. A group of boys killed a co-ed because as one of them said “they wanted to know what it felt like to kill some one.” This is evil in one of it’s purest forms.
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

sreed
Calm Member

Post by sreed » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Wow, I am surprised, I started to think that no one would even try to answer. And may I say they are all very interesting answers, actually about the first I have ever seen that have substance and meaning, not the usual "just because answers". Well I am not a "bot" whatever that is, or a "spammer", real human.
I agree, stuff happens, you could call it Good or Evil, Negative or Positive. But still none the less it is a personal observation and belief, be it unfounded or not. But along with this I also believe that all things are predestine........What do you think?

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:43 am

Well...welcome to the site. One thing about this place..most of the time...if someone asks a substantial question...the people here will usually provide opinions and thoughts with equal substance. :) As far as everything being predestined....I would really hate to think that. I would rather think that while each of us may have a 'destiny'...it is an ...adjustable would be the best word I suppose... destiny based on our actions and choices. To think that all of our choices can only lead to one outcome no matter what...that's just...I dunno...kinda frightening.

Return to “Religous Discussion”