Any Eve Players Here?

For all gaming platforms. Chat about systems, games, etc.
Sparrow
Cool Member

Any Eve Players Here?

Post by Sparrow » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:44 am

I'm wondering if there are any other Eve players here. If so, I hope you'll respond, but feel free to skip the following. For non-Eve players...Eve is a space-based MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) "game", though it's not really a game at all. It's set 20,000 years in the future, with an extensive backstory.

For a good trailer, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNyfI4dv ... re=related

For information and downloads, go here: http://www.eve-online.com.

Eve is the most technical, complex "game" I've seen. Player vs. player combat is an intergal part of this metaverse. One can chose to go with that, or try to live peacefully in a violent interstellar society. I choose the latter, though avoiding combat is all but impossible. Great graphics, a committed vendor (CCP based in Iceland), and no "shards." Everyone is on line with everyone else, all at the same time. Typically 25,000-40,000 users on line. It's neither free nor cheap. The common wisdom is that either you quit Eve after a week or two, or you're hooked. I've been playing for about 8 months, so obviously I'm hooked!

There's a free trial available, but it comes with restrictions which can be a real pain. I'm happy to discuss in detail with any who are interested, either here of via email.

(I have no financial interest in CCP or Eve. I simply love it.)
"Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living...that's something else!" (Han Solo)

"If you try to stop us, or vamp out in any way, I'll stake you without even thinking twice!" (Edgar Frog in "Lost Boys")

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:12 am

I have avoided all those MMORPG games like the plague....lol

My friend tried to get me hooked on WoW and I keep putting him off.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Sparrow
Cool Member

Post by Sparrow » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi KM. That choice will certainly leave you with more time and money. :smt001 For some of us, I think the social networking becomes important, and the loose structure of the MMOG serves to provide more of a shared experience than something like a forum or a chat room. The RP aspect doesn't interest me. I've tried RP in both Second Life and, briefly, in WoW. Totally lame, IMHO. But hey...Choice is good. Fly safe, brother!

:smt070 :smt072
"Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living...that's something else!" (Han Solo)

"If you try to stop us, or vamp out in any way, I'll stake you without even thinking twice!" (Edgar Frog in "Lost Boys")

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Yeah. I just saw how obsessive he got about it. He was putting in 30 or 40 hours a week on WoW.

I simply don't have that kind of time to waste on a fantasy life...lol

I can understand the ideas behind it, but the appeal just wasn't there.

Of course, I have several things, a couple of different forums, a new writing project, and, of course, the team, to keep my mind occupied...lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Knightmare wrote:Yeah. I just saw how obsessive he got about it. He was putting in 30 or 40 hours a week on WoW.

Of course, I have several things, a couple of different forums, a new writing project, and, of course, the team, to keep my mind occupied...lol
And idiots like me to keep you stressed...
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 am

Gavin Shaw wrote:
Knightmare wrote:Yeah. I just saw how obsessive he got about it. He was putting in 30 or 40 hours a week on WoW.

When have you caused me any stress??? lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

MzSnowleopard
Calm Chaos Official Cat Herder

Post by MzSnowleopard » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:47 am

Gavin is more like the friend you turn to be around to escape the stress.

I've played Quake in the past - found out my aunt plays it too and that she's kicked my butt a few times. I've thought about getting back in to it- but with all of these writing projects I have and life in general- I haven't got the time.

More power to you Gavin- have a blast. I'll be over here at the rpg org working on that literary RP stuff fan-fic. LOL :smt002
He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away. - Raymond Hull
Stats / Web Site / Blog

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:22 am

Knightmare wrote:
Gavin Shaw wrote:

When have you caused me any stress??? lol
What? You saying it is not working? Does this mean I have to be an even bigger idiot?
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:45 am

Keep working at it, Gavin.

You'll get there eventually...lmao
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Return to “General Gaming Chat”