Collatz Conjecture Project

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Collatz Conjecture Project

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sun May 30, 2010 11:25 pm

Anything related to Collatz Conjecture.

Collatz Conjecture Homepage

Description:
Collatz Conjecture is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in mathematics, specifically testing the Collatz Conjecture also known as 3x+1 or HOTPO (half or triple plus one). You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

Collatz Conjecture is based in Wood Dale, Illinois, USA and continues the work of the previous 3x+1@home BOINC project which ended in 2008. It can run on an nVidia GPU, ATI GPU, or CPU.

Team attach: Calm Chaos
Collatz Conjecture - BoincStats
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Re: Collatz Conjecture Project

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sun May 30, 2010 11:25 pm

30 May 2010:

We experience a network outage that started yesterday at 3:00 PM CST and lasted until this 8:00 AM CST this morning. Not being able to do anything online last night and not having cable, I went to see Iron Man 2 last night. Just as the big fight seen started at the end, the theater lost all power. Let's hope today fares better.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:55 am

31 May 2010:

The storms that passed through the central USA cause three separate power failures today in my area and the UPS did not have time to recharge between them. So, I had to power everything off during the last outage. I was in the process of getting the backup generator up and running when the power came back on. Now that the UPS is charged back up and the Collatz database checked out OK, everything is back online.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:24 am

17 Jun 2010:

Once again, the network is operational again. For now. It seems the signal strength from Comcast/Xfinity is about as good as BP's fixes for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:13 am

21 Jun 2010:

The power is back on, and the network is now up as well.
For the next week or so, Collatz will be testing an alternate Internet provider. That means that the IP address has changed so you will need to restart your BOINC client in order to upload your results and get more work. I would appreciate any feedback as to how well the new connection is working or not working, whichever the case may be.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm

26 Jun 2010:

Collatz is now back on the old ISP which means the IP changed again and everyone gets to restart their BOINC client in order to upload or download work. Sorry about that.
Why? After spending several hours both online and on the phone, it was determined that the new ISP and I defined "unlimited use" differently. Their definition is "about 5GB per month" which Collatz exceeded easily this past week, whereas my definition of unlimited use is... unlimited use. Silly me. The search for a stable, low cost ISP begins again...

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:27 am

17 Jul 2010:

After Comcast replaced some cable, put new ends on all the cables and replaced the splitters. They say the network should be OK now. I guess time will tell...

Image Image

Return to “Collatz Conjecture”