NASCAR 2008

Anything related to activities for the team.
Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:26 am

Harvick snarky after dustup with Edwards

By JENNA FRYER – 1 hour ago

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — Note passing, name calling, playground scuffles and widespread gossip. Sound like the fifth grade? Well, that, too.

In this case, though, it's the latest installment in NASCAR's Chase for the championship.

The tension between Carl Edwards and Kevin Harvick had not abated Friday, a day after the two had to be separated during a heated exchange in Harvick's garage stall at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

"Be careful who you wanna pick a fight with," Harvick warned. "If you wanna pick a fight with the wrong person, sometimes it turns around and bites you, no matter how big and tough you think you are."

A confident Harvick smirked through a short interview on pit road, where he stood just a few feet from Edwards during Nationwide Series qualifying. Neither driver dared look at each other, and Edwards downplayed the situation.

"I've got so many great things going on, I'm not going to worry about this," Edwards said. "It just doesn't matter. That's the truth. I am what I am. He is what he is. If those things are different, that's fine. It doesn't bother me."

This whole skirmish started when Edwards triggered a 12-car accident last week at Talladega, and Harvick criticized his driving style on live television by calling him "a pansy."

Edwards left a sarcastic note after the race with Harvick's pilot — some versions of the story claim Edwards stuck it on the airplane windshield — and followed up with a face-to-face during a break in Thursday's practice session.

When Harvick tried to walk away, witnesses said Edwards grabbed his shoulder as if to turn him back around. Harvick responded by shoving him onto the hood of his car, and as crew members rushed in to break it up, witnesses said Edwards was put in a headlock.

"We were in our pit stall and just protected our turf," Harvick smirked.

Edwards has declined to give his version of events, preferring to focus on the competition. He's second in the Chase standings, just 72 points behind leader Jimmie Johnson and needs to close the gap in Saturday night's race at Lowe's to keep his championship hopes alive.

"I couldn't be more ready to race," he said. "I feel better in the car today than I have in a long time. It's kind of refreshing. Nobody likes to deal with that stuff. It's not as much fun. It's nice to get in the car and do what we're here to do. Not the rest of the stuff."

But it may not be so easy for Edwards to escape this drama. Harvick is a master manipulator, and from his sixth-place spot in the standings, it's entirely possible he's playing mind games with Edwards in a ploy to knock one of the championship favorites out of contention.

"If that's the effect, hey, all is fair in love and war and The Chase," said Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage. "Other leagues hide injuries or find bulletin board material. Maybe this is the same thing."

Asked directly if he was trying to get in Edwards' head, Harvick didn't exactly deny it: "That's not very hard to do," he smiled.

Because of the close confines of NASCAR's traveling community, neither driver can escape the whispers spreading like wildfire through the garage as everyone has dissected the latest feud.

"I guess Harvick didn't have very nice things to say, and Carl got his feelings hurt," said Kyle Busch, the resident "Bad Boy" who has argued with both drivers this season. "I'm going to go with Carl, with his build. But I still think Harvick is a pretty good scrapper."

But Dale Earnhardt Jr. wasn't so sure that Edwards, a noted fitness buff, had an automatic edge.

"It would be tough," Earnhardt said. "Kevin never backed down from anybody. But you know that Carl is pretty tough. It'd be quite interesting."

Gossage is pouncing on the possibilities, ordering his staff to design an ad campaign around the scuffle to promote next month's Chase race. Drama between drivers equals ticket sales, and in this collapsing economy, any extra attention on the sport helps promoters such as Gossage.

"It's always good when you have a rivalry because we'd gotten to a point where, whether it was NASCAR's action or sponsors' action, some of the color and personality had been removed from the sport," Gossage said. "We've gotten too `PC' as a sport, so it's good to see a couple of guys point the finger at each other."

The episode brought back memories for three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip, who played his share of mind games while racing rivals Dale Earnhardt, Cale Yarborough and Rusty Wallace.

Waltrip said everyone thought the games were funny back in his day, when drivers routinely left notes in the seat of the car. Waltrip even recalled "leaving Earnhardt a dead fish or a can of sardines."

"You would have kind of thought that they would have thought (Edwards' note) was funny, but it apparently got a little heated," said Waltrip, now a Fox analyst. "You're looking at two of the probably most high-strung drivers in either garage area, Nationwide or the Cup side. Carl's passionate and he's aggressive, and so is Kevin. That's two bulls butting heads right there."
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Well, I won't do much criticism of the broadcast, since I was reduced to watching on a 6" B&W battery powered TV, in the dark, but I can say that ESPN started out OK, then their script ran out, or more correctly, their scripted participants fell out, and the broadcast started to fall quickly.

I did love the exchange between Junior and the Bubble-Headed Bleach Blonde reporterette, Shannon Spake. From the Daly Planet:
It was Shannon Spake who drew the key assignment of speaking with Dale Earnhardt Jr. after he fell out of the race. It did not go well. In what may go down as one of the worst interviews in NASCAR history, Spake fell apart on national TV. Here it is:

"Junior, can you tell me what you felt inside the car when that tire failed?" asked Spake.

"Pow...and then it went into the wall. About like every other tire that blows," answered a smiling Junior.

"Was there any indication leading up to the (tire) failure that something was going wrong?" continued Spake.

"I'd have let off! Hell no! I'd have slowed down if I knew the tire was going to blow like that," said Junior now just laughing.

"Can you describe the racing out there tonight?" asked a now flustered Spake.

"Do what?" said Junior puzzled.

"Was it battling that might have led to this tire failure?" Spake asked. The replays had clearly shown Junior alone at the time of the problem.

"No, I was riding. I was taking it way, way easy," answered Junior. "I think everyone else was too. It's a long race and we were all just kind of riding around waiting 'till the end." The look on Earnhardt's face as he walked away was priceless.
I thought Jack Roush's response to Massaro about Edwards' problems was priceless too.
"Obviously, this is the last thing you wanted to see happen," said Massaro. "Can you give me some perspective of what this is like with six races remaining (and) a possible title on the line?"

Roush answered in perhaps the best way possible. "I'm sorry Mike I can't understand what you just said."
Anyway....Burton wins (in dominating fashion for him), Kahne almost becomes the first driver to win all 3 Charlotte races in one year by finishing second (and looked like he was completely out of it at one point. KuBusch brings it home third, followed by little brother Kyle.

On the ESPN Pick'em game, I had 6 and Buga didn't make any picks (again). Dude, you're giving me this one.

On the ESPN main game, KM won with a 705, I was next with a 591 and Buga had a 439. KM is less than 200 points out of first for the segment. Buga is still ~700 points ahead overall.

KM won on CBS with a 507, Buga was second with a 497, and I sucked with a 394.

On FoxSports, I had a 437 and Buga had a 376. Buga is 21 points ahead of seventh, I remain in third.

On Yahoo, Buga won the week with a 272, I was second with a 190, and Daniel had 96. I think Daniel must not have looked at his team and had some drivers active that he shouldn't have.

On the TSN main game, I won the week with a 696, Buga was second with a 582, and KM had a 551. No qualifying scores on TSN this week.

On the TSN Pick 3 game, Buga won the week with a 371, Magnetic Death was second with a 362, and I again sucked with a 273.

In the Burn the Comp game, KM wins the week with a 1028, I was next with a 996, and Buga had a 886. I am in 301st overall, Buga is 1009th, and KM is 1942nd. We all improved this week.

In the NASCAR.com WTF game, we had a shootout at the top of the standings. I prevailed by 8 points over second place SmoknCamry, 668-660. KM beat Buga 667-517.

And finally, in the 3 Wide game, I won the week with a 628, KM was second with a 597, and Buga had a 562. I tied with a bunch of others for 97th for the week. Which moves me to (drum roll please) 37th overall. That $100 gift certificate to the NASCAR.com SuperStore for first place overall is all but mine!!! :smt036 KM is 542nd and Buga is 2572nd.

Next week is Martinsville, the other track in the Chase besides Dega that is a crap shoot.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:24 am

Huh. Imagine that.

My Hendrick's bias is finally working out for me....lmao

Thanks for the update Labbie. ;)
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Yeah KM, I was thinking you were first a lot last week. :smt017

Martinsville Entry List

45 entries, 2 go home.

Bliss is in the #00.

Almirola is in the #8.

Allmendinger is in the #10 for the rest of the year (supposedly).

Sterling Marlin is in the #09.

Awesome Bill is in the #21 and is in the race via the PCP, if necessary.

McCumbee is in the #45.

Raines is in the #70.

Cope is in the #75.

Schrader is in the #96.

And finally, Scott Speed makes his Cup debut in the #84. He is in the race via the Top 35. Sorry KM, no Skinner this week.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Next Year's Toss-up, Scott Speed or Kyle Busch?

Kyle Busch is going to have to work harder next year if he wants to retain the title of Most Unpopular Driver.

Because he’s fixin’ to have some stiff competition.

Scott Speed is scheduled to make his Sprint Cup debut this weekend at Martinsville. NASCAR Nation may never be the same again.

If you aren’t familiar with Speed, you will be shortly. In fact, it’ll be hard not to pay attention to him for two reasons -- he’s got tremendous talent and he’s capable of saying and doing anything.

Just last year Speed was driving in Formula One for Scuderia Toro Rosso in glamorous places like Monaco, Japan and the Persian Gulf.

This year he has been in the ARCA Series driving for Eddie Sharp Racing in not-quite-as-glamorous places like the dirt track at the Illinois State Fairgrounds.

It’s a transition you might expect to be rugged. It hasn’t been.

In his first year in a stock car, Speed has been nothing short of phenomenal. He scored four wins in the ARCA Series and even managed top-10 finishes at both dirt tracks that ARCA races on.

In the Craftsman Truck Series Speed won at Dover and came in third at Bristol, a track he had never even seen, much less raced on.

Going into Sunday’s race he was leading the ARCA standings by a comfortable margin -- comfortable enough that all he had to do was finish 17th to become the first driver not named Kimmel to win the title this century.

And then Ricky Stenhouse Jr. intervened. Stenhouse, a Roush development driver from Mississippi, was second in points. He and Speed are not exactly BFFs. The two have clashed on the track and, reportedly, in the garage.

On Sunday at Toledo Speedway Stenhouse found himself behind Speed early in the race. He drove Speed hard into the wall, tearing up his Toyota. But Speed’s crew got it patched back up and got him back on the track quickly.

The car wasn’t the same and Speed wasn’t going to contend, but there were points to go after and a title to win. But Speed had other plans.

As the field came around to lap him Speed waited until Stenhouse came by and slammed into him like an ICBM, sending Stenhouse into the wall and wrecking himself in the process.

ARCA parked him.

“He was on my bumper and he pushed me flat out into the wall,” Speed told Speed TV, which, by the way, is not his own personal channel. “The car was completely undriveable. I couldn't do anything with it. He started it. He ain't going to win the championship with that attitude. That's ridiculous. That was the most blatant thing I have ever seen in my life.”

Stenhouse said it was just one of those racin’ things.

“Last time I was here I got into the rumble strips and that caused me to press down on my brakes and ride up the racetrack,” he said. “That’s the same thing that happened today. I hit the rumble strips in one and two and that made me get into the brakes in three and four. Speed was there when my car rode up the racetrack, but it really wasn't intentional. I didn’t really expect him to come after me after that, but when I saw him slowing down on the track I knew that I was in trouble.”

Yep. Just one of those awful coincidences. Poor Scott just happened to be there when he rode up the track.

At this point, if you’re Scott Speed you can do one of two things. You can go back out there and get the best finish possible and win that trophy for the team that busted their you-know-whats for you all year long. Payback would, of course, have to be delivered, but that could wait for another day. Besides, revenge is a dish best served cold.

Or, you could take Stenhouse out pronto and deliver the series trophy to Justin Allgaier.

Speed chose Door Number 2.

“I know that everyone will only remember the last wreck, but there was a lot of contact from lap 1 from the 99,” Speed said. “But it is what it is. I know there were a lot of rumors of teams that planned to wreck us out there today. I had hoped the day would turn out differently and we'd be on the stage. The guys worked really hard all year and they deserved it."

Easy for him to say. He’s moving to Red Bull’s No. 84 in the Cup Series starting this weekend. The boys at Eddie Sharp Racing are going home empty-handed.

An ARCA title might not have much significance to Speed, but it would have meant everything to his crew.

Team owner Eddie Sharp tried to put a good face on it.

“There are simply things beyond our control that occur and to beat ourselves up for that is pointless,” he said. “I want to thank Red Bull for their support and faith in us to develop Scott Speed. We look forward to continuing to build a relationship with such a great organization. Speed is a talented driver, there is no doubt about that, and we wish him well in his future endeavors.”

So now Speed gets his debut at Martinsville, where patience is rewarded and samurai driving lands you in the garage early. Speed doesn’t have the luxury of hanging out in the back and learning the track. He has to keep the 84 in the top 35.

Not that he would hang out in the back anyway. He’s not that kind of driver.

He’s going to find out quickly that competing at the Cup level can’t be treated quite as cavalierly. And he’s going to discover that NASCAR Nation doesn’t take kindly to drivers who paint their toenails and strike poses from The Thinker.

It might just be that he doesn’t give a flip what NASCAR Nation or the United Nations or any other nation thinks. But in case he does, there are two ways to win over NASCAR fans.

He could drive so well and win so many races that fans grudgingly pay him respect. Or he could wreck Kyle Busch.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Get your picks in, Yahoo locks overnight (Daniel), FoxSports locks Friday at 3:30 EDT.

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Labbie wrote:Get your picks in, Yahoo locks overnight (Daniel), FoxSports locks Friday at 3:30 EDT.
Already did! :smt003
ImageImage

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:52 pm

danielmid wrote:
Labbie wrote:Get your picks in, Yahoo locks overnight (Daniel), FoxSports locks Friday at 3:30 EDT.
Already did! :smt003
Just a gentle reminder, I can't see your picks until it is too late.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:16 am

Johnson wins, Junior second, Edwards (surprisingly) third, Gordon fourth, Mears sixth. Leave it to Hamlin in fifth to screw up a perfect Edwards/Hendrick sandwich.

Oh, and a special shout out to the Dinger for taking the #10 to a 15th place finish at a track where Dinger had a 30th place average finish. :smt023 and Red Bull dropped this kid.

I noticed that Buga gave a last shout to the MOTW, but didn't post a new one. :smt017 Remember the last time I was MOTW Buga? I was absolutely horrible in the leagues that week. I've been dreading it ever since. Did you think if you didn't post it that it wouldn't affect the outcomes here? Yeah, maybe a little paranoia here, but damn, I was bad this week.

On ESPN's main game, Buga won the week with a 742, I was next with a 620, and KM not far behind with a 597. Buga has worked his way up to just 2 points behind KM for second in the segment. I am 226 ahead of KM. Buga is a lock on the overall. And I was so good here until McMurray broke an axle. Who the hell breaks an axle? At one point about mid-race I was showing 888 points!!!!

On the ESPN Pick'em game, I had 5 to Buga's 3. This is the highlight of my week. :smt005

Things are back to normal on CBS. Buga wins with a 722, KM second with a 711, and I had a 653. While my score wasn't that bad I guess, but again McMurray killed me. At one point I had 3 in the top 5 and the other two in the top 15. Oh, what could have been. KM is only 173 behind Buga for the segment lead.

On FoxSports I scratched with a 291 and dropped to fourth in the league. Buga had a 369 and is still sixth.

On Yahoo, Buga wins with a 278, Daniel was second with a 194, and I had a 138. Really starting to get that special MOTW feeling wrenching in my gut here. Oh, and my lead that Buga said was insurmountable a couple of weeks ago is down to 206. :smt011

On the TSN main game, KM wins with a 725 (imagine what he could have had if he could get in to get rid of Skinner), Buga next with a 651, and I had a 580.

On the TSN Pick 3 game, Magnetic Death takes the week and the lead with a 334, Buga was second with a 325, and I completely sucked again with a 203.

In the Burn the Comp game, KM won with a 864, I was second with a 802, with Buga on my heels at 799. I dropped to 339th overall, Buga moved up 4 to 1005th, and KM moved up 59 to 1883rd.

In the WTF game, Buga won and KM & I lost. I still lead in both categories, KM is 5th in both, and Buga 7th in both.

And finally in the 3 Wide game, I had another bright spot I guess. I don't know how but I won the week with a 527, Buga next with a 511, and KM third with a 460. I dropped 3 places to 40th overall, KM moved up 128 to 669th, and Buga moved up 281 to 2294th.

Yep, definitely a bad MOTW type week for me. Gonna fess up Buga?

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:50 pm

I'm not sure I buy your excuse Buga, I'm still feeling the MOTW paranoia here. :smt019

Four to go, Atlanta, Texas, Phoenix, Homestead. All 1.5 mile tracks except Phoenix, which is a 1 miler. The Roush boys may have an advantage on these tracks, but I think JJ has it all locked up now.

Entry List for Atlanta.

JoLo is attempting in the #02.

Sauter is attempting in the #08.

Allmendinger is again in the #10.

Awesome Bill is in the #21 and is in the race via the PCP.

Ganassi rolls the #40 out again with Bryan Clauson attempting.

McCumbee is in the #45.

The #00 is now the #47 with Ambrose at the wheel.

Raines is in the #70.

Speed is again in the #84.

And finally, Schrader is again in the #96.

Qualifying is Friday afternoon; there is a 70% chance of rain Friday. :smt011

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Time to get your picks in, Yahoo locks overnight and FoxSports locks at 6:40 pm EDT Friday.

Camping World picks up the title sponsorship for the Truck Series for 2009 and beyond.

Sunday will be Michael Waltrip's 1000th start in NASCAR, Cup, NW, and Truck combined. He is behind only Richard Petty (no surprise there). And Petty's 1184 starts are all in the Cup series.

NASCAR.com asked a bunch of NASCAR related people what the first word that came into their head when Mikey's name was mentioned. Link to the entire list

Petty's response could only come from the mouth of The King.
"Big deal"
All these football and baseball players played Little League ball, but they don't say nothing about it when they look at their major-league scores. Don't even bring [Nationwide and Trucks] in as far as I'm concerned. That's [1,000] just 'cause he's been here a long time. Like Kyle Busch [winning 20 races]. He's won eight major-league races. Not throwing off on those other guys, but they're going backwards. They've come through that stage. You don't see an [NFL] quarterback going back to college. Michael lived with me for a year, and you knew when he was in the house because you could open the door and follow him all the way to the bedroom. Here's a shoe and there's a sock and then a coat. That's what I remember more than anything else.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Qualifying rained out again. For the 10th time this season.

Lineup

Clauson and JoLo go home, Sauter withdrew earlier in the week

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Ok. Normally I don't complain a whole lot about the coverage because I just expect crappy coverage from ESPN.

This time, however, I am just livid with the terrible directing.

There are 2 laps to go, Jimmie Johnson is making a move on Denny Hamlin, Edwards is WAY out in front, and ESPN cuts away from the camera that actually has action going on, to one that shows Carl Edwards.

Are you freakin KIDDING?!?!?!?!

That HAD to be the worst job of directing I have EVER seen in ANY coverage.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 pm

You got to see more of it than I did. :smt011

Our local ABC affiliate decided that with 8 laps to go that we didn't even NEED to see the end of the race, so they switched to a local political debate. :smt021 :smt021 :smt021 :smt021 :smt021

Obviously the outcome was already decided, Hamlin was leading, Johnson was like 9th or they wouldn't have done that would they? :smt023

It did turn out like that didn't it? :smt005

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:39 pm

Edwards was in the lead at that point. Johnson came in and put on four fresh tires.

Went from 10th to 2nd in something like 6 laps...lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:36 am

I forgot to ask KM, when ESPN cut away to Carl waaaaayyyy out in the lead, did they show his mother on the pit box in a split screen? :smt036

As said in the previous posts, Edwards wins, Johnson comes back from a lap down early in the race and makes a great run in the last few laps to finish second. As I noted previously, I didn't get to see any of it, due to the idiots at KOAT Channel 7 in Albuquerque. No apology on their website, no explanation, no response to my harsh, yet nice, email. I didn't cuss at them and didn't even call them idiots to their face. :smt023

On to the leagues...

On ESPN, KM takes the week with a 683, I was second with a 634, with Buga on my heels with a 622. I lead KM by 177 for the segment, Bug is another 63 out. Buga has the overall wrapped up IMO. 800+ points ahead with 3 races to go. Kinda sounds like someone in the Chase. :smt023

On the ESPN Pick'em game, I beat Buga 8-5. I lead 42 to 20 overall, but Buga has skipped a couple of races here.

On CBS, Buga killed us with a 725, KM and & I tied with a 565. I don't think we've ever had a tie here in almost two years of playing. But my memory fails me sometimes, so if we have had one, don't beat me up too much. Buga has a 333 point lead over KM for the segment, I'm another ~500 points behind KM. Buga won the first segment by 1000, I'm ready to concede the overall to him already. But KM might just be able to squeak out segment 2, but it won't be by enough to win the overall. Well, unless Buga does something really stupid here. And even then, KM would have to have a couple of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 finishes. :smt006

On FoxSports, oh how the mighty have fallen in this segment. I scratched AGAIN and dropped to fifth place. Buga had a 425 and is only 248 behind me. I don't think I've ever finished worse than third on FoxSports. :smt011

On Yahoo, Buga won the week with a 240, but I was right there with a 236. Daniel had an even 200. Buga leads the second segment by 65 over me, Daniel is another ~700 behind me. Buga is slowly taking away my overall lead and is now only 202 points behind. Daniel is about 1000 points behind Buga overall.

On the TSN main game, Buga wins again with a 617, KM is second with a 602, and I was last with a 592. I hold the lead but only because Buga messed up somehow, somewhere, and lost his team. Otherwise, he'd be WAAAYYY ahead of the rest of us. KM is 1378 behind me and Buga is listed as being 7975 back of the lead.

On the TSN Pick 3, I won the week with a 403, Magnetic Death was second with a 348, and Buga brings up the rear with a 240. I retook the overall lead by 32 over MD, Buga is 228 behind MD.

In the Burn the Comp game, I won the week with a 1021, Buga was next with a 916, and KM had a 840. I moved up 50 spots to 287th overall, Buga moved up 44 to 959th, and KM moved up 43 to 1858th.

On the WTF game, I won and KM & Buga both lost. I barely won, made a STUPID last minute substitution of Sorenson for Vickers. Vickers finished 21st, Sorenson finshed 39th. I told you it was stupid. I still have the lead in in the win/loss category, but lost the points lead by 39 to SmoknCamry. KM is still fifth in both, Buga is seventh in both. I'm head-to-head with KM this week, and Buga next week. I'm guaranteed at least a tie in the win/loss, and one more win and I lock first place in that category. Hmm, I had KM's password a while back, I may have to sabotage his team this week. If I can find it again, that is. Just kidding, I don't need to cheat to beat KM here. :smt019

And in the 3 wide game, I won the week with a 619, Buga was second with a 574 and KM was right beind with a 571. Buga advanced 322 spots to 1969th, KM moved up 113 to 671st, and I moved up 16 spots to 24th. Another couple of good weeks and the gift certificate is MINE!!! [smilie=drogar-dolar(dbg).gif] I'm less than 200 points out of the top spot.

Next week is Texas, someone will get to wear a cowboy hat that is too big and fire cap guns into the air. all three series will be there, Trucks will have a Trick or Treat race Friday night, NW is Saturday, Cup Sunday. I've been thinking about going for the Truck race, and with gas prices getting low around here, I just might. Or I may have to go visit Daniel for Phoenix in two weeks. There isn't much difference in drive time between the two, although the road to Phoenix is much more interesting than the one to Dallas.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:03 am

Texas Entry List

JoLo makes an attempt in the #02.

Martin is in the #8. Look for Martin to be in the #5 at Homestead, if not before.

The Dinger is in the #10.

"Mad" Max Papis attempts in the #13. Max has a deal with Germaine Racing (Todd Bodine's Truck Owner) to run 18 Cup races next year with Geico as the sponsor.

Awesome Bill is in the #21.

Brad Keselowski tries again in the #25...

As does Bryan Clauson in the #40. All these rainouts have kept Brad K., Clauson, and JoLo out of the last three races.

McCumbee is in the #45. Heard Petty may run Phoenix.

Ambrose is in the #47.

Raines is in the #70.

And Schrader is in the #96.

Qualifying is Friday afternoon and the weather looks perfect (finally). It's supposed to be 80 degrees and has the standard Texas/Oklahoma 10% chance of rain. Which really means no rain, but the forecasters there all basically just cover their asses.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:19 am

So. Are we taking any wagers on whether Jimmie manages to gain any more points on Edwards this week??? lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Johnson continues to make mockery of Chase system
Homestead is the loser in this year's Chase. We can only hope that Johnson has a 162-point lead entering Championship Weekend. How great would it be for Johnson to take the green flag, turn hard into the infield grass and begin his victory celebration 266 laps before the checkered flag?

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:12 pm

Heh. Dude sounds kinda bitter...lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:30 pm

Yeah, but it would be funny to see that.

Pull off (pit road, garage area, whatever would keep the green flag out), celebrate for a couple of laps, then hit the track again.

=============================================

Fire damages NASCAR racing truck

Two Toyota racing trucks, a toolbox, a pit box and a tractor-trailer car hauler were heavily damaged by fire on Interstate 20 on Tuesday.

Bossier deputies were dispatched to a vehicle fire at 11:20 p.m. on westbound I-20, at the 30-mile marker. They arrived and found a tractor-trailer with flames coming from the wheel area of the front axle, said Ed Baswell, sheriff’s spokesman. The driver of the rig, Jeffrey Biese, 42, of Little Chute, Wisconsin, attempted to extinguish the flames with bottled drinks.

Biese told deputies he ran over some debris on I-20 and stopped to check for damage, finding a small air leak. He drove approximately two miles, when smoke started coming from his trailer wheels and flames erupted, Baswell said.

Biese was hauling the two Toyota trucks to the Texas Motor Speedway in Ft. Worth where one of them was to be driven by NASCAR’s Kyle Busch in Friday’s Chevy Silverado 350, part of the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.

The equipment, which is valued at $1,000,000 and may end up being a total loss, is owned by Billy Ballew Motorsports out of Woodstock, Georgia.

Investigators say overheated brakes may have caused the fire. No one was hurt in the blaze, Baswell said.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:16 am

Labbie wrote:Yeah, but it would be funny to see that.

Pull off (pit road, garage area, whatever would keep the green flag out), celebrate for a couple of laps, then hit the track again.
OMG!!! Can you imagine the uproar that would cause??? You think a lot of people hate Hendricks NOW???? LMAO!!!
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm

People will hate Hendrick anyway, may as well have some fun with it.

Nice article on the Truck broadcasts.

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... r-big.html

Jayski has been running this blurb for 3 weeks now. And in that time Gordon has led a total a ZERO laps. Time to take it down Jayski, you're jinxing him.
Jeff Gordon heading to 20,000 laps led: Another milestone – 20,000 career laps led – is well within reach for #24-Jeff Gordon this Sunday in the Dickies 500 at Texas Motor Speedway. Gordon, who is currently eighth all-time with 19,880 laps led, can surpass Rusty Wallace for seventh on that list if he leads 93 laps this Sunday. Tack on another 27 and Gordon reaches 20,000. While Gordon is well shy of Richard Petty’s total of 52,194, he holds a commanding lead over the nearest “active” competitor in that category – future teammate Mark Martin – who ranks 11th with 11,560.
GET YOUR PICKS IN!!! Just 3 to go, then you can all take a break. Yahoo locks overnight, FoxSports at 4:30 EDT Friday.

AND - Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 AM Sunday morning. For those of you that sleep, you get that hour back you lost last spring. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:51 pm

LOL - I think Buga &KM must have the exact same team on the NASCAR.com 3 Wide game.

I can't actually see the driver list, but I can see the total and they have been the same thru all the position changes that I have seen.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 pm

Unfortunately, it would appear that my team isn't going to do all that well.

Jimmie is having a terrible day.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:17 pm

We've all got Jimmie then, we've been fairly close all day on that one.

Difference will be the other two picks, I've got McMurray and & the Dinger. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 am

Montoya can't buy a break. I hope Gilligan is out for the season because of that.

I had 4 drivers in the top ten on TSN!!!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:41 am

I want Juan to just walk up before the next race and punch Gilligan dead in the mouth.

That was SO blatantly intentional. But yet...he ( Gilligan ) said " I really hate that it happened. I thought I gave him enough room. "
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 pm

If you missed the Truck series pre-race show Friday, here are some pics of the SPEED crew in their Halloween costumes.

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2008/11/ ... -time.html

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:31 pm

Edwards wins with a fuel strategy, Gordon comes in second, McMurray third, Bowyer fourth and Biffle fifth.

KyBu, Harvick, Truex, Kenseth and Reutimann round out the top 10.

Montoya can't buy a break, haven't heard what, if any, further punishment Gilligan will get.

Why the hell would they put an experimental engine in KuBu's car when he ran third last week at Atlanta? He was moving up when it died, and killed his run this week.

On Yahoo, Buga wins the week (barely) with a 302 and I was right behind with a 301. Daniel had a 213. Buga has a 66 point lead for the segment, but is 201 behind in the overall.

On the TSN Pick 3 game, Magnetic Death won the week with a 270, Buga was second with a 242, and I had a 236. MD took the overall lead by 2 points over me. Buga is about 250 behind me.

On the TSN main game, I won the week with a 153/807 for a 960. Buga was next with a 153/608 for a 761 total. KM brings up the rear with a 158/523 for a 681.

On FoxSports, I scratched again with a 271, Buga had a 361 that counted. No position changes, I'm still 5th, Buga is 6th and the difference is 178 for the segment.

On CBS, Buga had a 648 to lead the way, KM was next with a 593, and I sucked (as usual) with a 502. Buga will need to fill out a team that doesn't have anyone running for the next two week to lose this one.

On the ESPN Pick'em game, Buga won this week 6-3, but has a long way to go to beat me in the overall.

On the ESPN Main game, I had this one in the bag until Gilligan tried to kill JPM, so Buga takes the week with a 639, I was next with a 592, and KM not too far behind with a 576. With two races to go, for the segment it is me with 5047 followed by KM with 4917 and then Buga with 4791. This could go down to the wire. But in the overall the order is Buga with 20655, then me with 19860, then KM with 19745.

On the NASCAR.com WTF game, Buga had a fantastic week and led the league in points for the week with a 672. I beat KM 498 - 450. I have locked the win/loss category, no one can catch me, I'm second in points. KM stays in 6th in the win/loss and 5th in points. Buga moves up to 6th in points and is 7th in the win/loss category. Buga is 258 points behind KM.

In the Burn the Comp game, Buga won the week with a 896, I was second with a 863, and KM brings up the rear with a 783. I dropped 204 positions to 491, Buga moved up 18 to 941, and KM moved up 17 to 1821st. Looks like the grand prize to the All Star race is out of reach for all of us.

And in the 3 Wide game, Buga & KM did have the same picks and tied (obviously) with a 484. I led the way with a 491. I dropped 35 spots to 59th, KM dropped 138 spots (ouch) to 696th, and Buga moved up 30 to 1939th.

We head out west next week to Phoenix, a 1 mile flat track that a lot of drivers can't get a handle on. The dogleg is on the back stretch and the corners only have about a 12 degree bank. I hear that Daniel has suite tickets for all of us. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:08 am

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:17 am

Aww....he's been such a good boy that intentionally wrecking someone ( HARD ) just doesn't deserve any further punishment.

What do you want to bet that if it had been JPM that wrecked Gilligan, there would have been some stiff penalties?
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Phoenix Entry List

Martin is in the #8 this week.

Marlin is attempting in the #09.

Dinger is in the #10.

Awesome Bill is in the #21.

Kyle Petty reuturns to the #45, for what could be his last Cup start. And he says he "ain't gonna race in them trucks or Nationwide cars". If his Rolex Grand Am ride doesn't come thru for next year, he will announce for that series in addition to his TNT announcing duties.

Ambrose is in the #47.

Sauter returns to the #70 this week.

And Schrader is in the #96.

=======================

Ailing Ard grateful for Busch's $100,000 donation

Woman hit by stray bullet at NASCAR race in Texas

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Police: Target shooter may have hit NASCAR fan

FORT WORTH (AP) — A stray bullet that injured a NASCAR fan in her motor home at Texas Motor Speedway may have been from a rifle of a target shooter, police said on Tuesday.
A 49-year-old man contacted police after being told of news reports that a woman was hit in the arm on Sunday morning by a bullet piercing through the roof of her recreational vehicle camped at the speedway for the Dickies 500, according to Fort Worth police.

The man told detectives on Tuesday that he fired five or six rounds from a .50 caliber Vulcan single-shot rifle near a rifle range about five miles from the speedway from about 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., police said.

Detectives confiscated the Vulcan rifle and will conduct ballistics tests. If it matches the recovered bullet, the man could face a charge of deadly conduct for recklessly firing a weapon in the direction of others, police said.

The 62-year-old woman's condition was unavailable on Tuesday.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:42 am

Carroll Shelby (L) and LVMS President Chris Powell unveil the event logo Wednesday.

Shelby Automobiles to sponsor NASCAR Sprint Cup race at LVMS; Event extended by 18 laps and will be called 'Shelby 427'

I wonder what the trophy for this one will look like?

Return to “Team Activities”