NASCAR 2009

Anything related to activities for the team.
Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:30 am

I tried to sign up for the game, but all I got was a screen telling me to " Get Notified " when the season starts.
:smt017 :smt017
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Knightmare wrote:I tried to sign up for the game, but all I got was a screen telling me to " Get Notified " when the season starts.
From this page?

I was able to create a second team, but it wouldn't let me join the CC league with a second team.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 pm

The Ponytail Express is Ready To Roll

Kyle Petty and Rutledge Wood traveling to all the TNT races via motorcycle and sidecar and Twittering (tweeting?) along the way.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Labbie wrote:
Knightmare wrote:I tried to sign up for the game, but all I got was a screen telling me to " Get Notified " when the season starts.
From this page?

I was able to create a second team, but it wouldn't let me join the CC league with a second team.
Ok got it.

Thanks Labbie. :smt023
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 pm

No prob KM. Now TSN won't let me get rid of that second team. LOL Maybe I'll just play it as a single.

Now that we've all made it into TSN, it's time to GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!

Fantasy Preview - if you need a little help.

Pocono - By the Numbers - if you had thoughts of picking an RCR driver...DON'T!!!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 pm

NASCAR adopts double-file restarts in Cup Series races
Shootout format to begin in Sunday's race at Pocono

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR on Thursday announced a change to its race format with the addition of "Double-File Restarts -- Shootout Style" throughout each race. Beginning with this weekend at Pocono Raceway, the first- and second-place drivers will line up side-by-side as the green flag flies for each restart.

"We've heard the fans loud and clear: 'double-file restarts -- shootout style' are coming to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series," said NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France. "This addition to the race format is good for competition and good for the fans."

"I'm excited about it," said two-time Cup Series champion Tony Stewart. "The good thing is that when they drop the green, you're going to be racing with the guys you're racing for position instead of trying to clear lapped cars.

"Since NASCAR has adapted the 'free pass,' I think that's something that now justifies being able to put those lapped cars to the back and let them race with each other, and let the guys who are racing on the lead lap do the same. I'm behind NASCAR 100 percent on this."

Sprint Cup Series driver Kevin Harvick said, "I think it's great that NASCAR is listening to the fans. These new restart procedures are going to make our sport even more exciting than it already is. This will not only benefit the lead-lap cars, but also the cars that go a lap down, so you get the best of both worlds."

NASCAR recently used the "double-file" format for its non-points Sprint All-Star Race, which produced an unpredictable finish. The format will be adapted for the Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series in the near future.

"The last 10 laps of the recent Sprint All-Star race at Lowe's Motor Speedway proved that the double-file restart concept works well," said Jerry Gappens, executive vice president and general manager of New Hampshire Motor Speedway. "Short tracks have been doing this for years, and I have no doubt that it will enhance the excitement of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series racing. I applaud NASCAR's decision to implement this change immediately. Close competition gives our fans a great entertainment value."

Under the previous format, cars on the lead lap would restart in a single-file line while cars that had been lapped would start in a line next to them.

Under the new format, the race leader will have the option to restart on the inside or outside lane. The second-place driver would then restart next to the leader. Regardless of where the leader starts, drivers in odd number positions (third, fifth, seventh places, etc.) will restart on the inside lane, while drivers in even number positions (fourth, sixth, eighth places, etc.) will restart on the outside. All restarts will use the same format regardless of the number of laps remaining in the race.

The first-place driver will continue to control the timing of restarts in a designated zone on the track. Likewise, cars are to stay in line until they reach the start/finish line. The first eligible car a lap or more down will continue to earn one lap back following a caution, which is known as the "free pass." However, a new element beginning this week will be that the "free pass" will remain in effect the entire race.

Lapped cars choosing to remain on the track will be "waved around" the caution car and will restart the race in respective track position, thus picking up a lap to the leader provided the leader also pits. This will also remove lapped cars from behind the pace car, allowing the leaders to take the green without interference.

"I think there'll be some weeks that it'll be good and I think there'll be some weeks where you could draw the short straw and get the shaft -- but that's going to be part of it," Matt Kenseth said. "I mean, if you're at Martinsville or Indy or some of these one-lane tracks and you're running fourth, and you start on the second row, outside, you're probably going to be in big trouble -- you're probably going to have a top-five run turn into a 10th- or 12th-place run.

"But that will just kind of be the luck of the draw, and it depends how many laps there are to go and stuff like that, also. I don't really see a huge drawback to double-file restarts. Like I say, I think there are some places that might be a little more exciting than others -- like [Daytona] it might make it more exciting. But there will definitely be more accidents, more action and probably more people mad at each other."

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:03 am

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:12 pm

Cup qualifying and practice rained out today, will start lined up by Owner's points.

Starting Lineup

Cope, Mike Wallace, and Tony Raines did not make the show.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:24 am

Shrubba Dubba Dumbass wins the NW race in Nashville and then smashes the one-of-a-kind, Sam Bass designed, Les Paul Gibson guitar trophy in Victory Lane.

:smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:12 am

Labbie wrote:Shrubba Dubba Dumbass wins the NW race in Nashville and then smashes the one-of-a-kind, Sam Bass designed, Les Paul Gibson guitar trophy in Victory Lane.

:smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Wow. What an IDIOT.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:55 pm

The Cup race today is on TNT, starting their six race "summer season".

Along with TNT, which was much improved last year from 2007, comes RaceBuddy, available FREE via NASCAR.com. Driver radios, multiple camera angles, scoring monitors, etc.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:34 am

Well, what do you know, I turned on TNT today and there was a NASCAR Race on!!! Not the shill that Fox forced on us, but honest to goodness racing where there was action, reports from pit road, thru the field reports, etc. What a nice change.

TNT did blow the finish by showing us Tony's crew celebrating instead of JJ coasting to the line out of gas, Kahne spinning, and Allmendinger out of gas and coming to a stop in turn three. But other than the last lap, TNT did a fine job IMO.

I didn't have to multitask with FoxTrax, all the live scoring from the Fantasy Leagues, and other web sites. What a relief.

The Daly Planet's take on today's broadcast: http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... dered.html

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:30 pm

CRAP!!!

I've screwed up the fantasy league info 3 times now, I'll be back later. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 am

OK, let's try this again...

Stewart wins, first time an owner/driver has won a points race since Ricky Rudd did it in 1997 or 1998, I don't remember the exact year...And I didn't look it up, so you'll have to (to paraphrase Weber :smt023 ).

(Geez, I almost screwed up already, but I caught it before the page changed - WHEW!!!)

In the 3M league, KM won the week with a 704, Buga was second with a 671, and I stunk the place up with a 607.

In the ESPN Draft game, BR won the week with a 461 (we need to break this team up :smt023 ), Bowman I was second with a 385, Crazy was third with a 353, Magnum was fourth with a 326, WSR fifth with a 320, and Bowman II with a 314.

In the ESPN SCC game, KM won the week with a 687, Buga was second with a 613, and I stunk the place up with a 523.

In the ESPN NW Pick'em game, Buga and I tied with 4.

In FoxSports, I had a 386 and Buga scratched with a 189.

In Yahoo, Buga had a 294 and I had a 230.

At CBS, it's KM again with a 490, Buga was right on his heels with a 488, and I stunk the place up with a 421.

In the TSN Three For All game, Buga won the week with a 410, KM was next with a 365, and I stunk the place up with a 240. New segment in this game, Buga is third, KM is fourth, and I am last in the league.

In the TSN Wix Filters game, Buga won the week with a 466, KM was second with a 326, and I stunk the place up with a 309. We all beat the so-called expert. However, the extra team I created that it won't let me join the league with...got a 500!!! I had Steart, Newman and Ambrose. And it tied me with 9 other people for first place overall. OK, that's my one bright spot for the week.

My mistake, I have a second bright spot...In the NASCAR.com D&P game, Magnum wasted a 726 against a dead team's 192. BR beat WSR 630 - 598, and that is BR's 12th straight win and ties WSR for the lead in the win/loss category. Lawless beat Dead Sled 589 - 363, and Crazy beat the other dead team 512 - 207.

And finally, in the NASCAR.com Streak game, Lawless won the week with a 228, Magnum had a 171, Crazy had a 165, BR a 151, and WSR picked Hamlin, and thus got a ZERO!!!!

Michigan Enty List - Skinner is attempting in the #36, as are Marlin, Papis, Raines, Blaney, Gilliland, Speed, and Nemechek. NOTE: Regan Smith and Brad Keselowski are NOT even attempting this race!!! :smt023

So - GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:35 am

Well I had a pretty OK day. LOL.

I got a question on the Fox one. Will everybody reset there allowed uses at some point, or is it like Yahoo and only that many for the year?

Rick

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:44 am

Buga1 wrote:Well I had a pretty OK day. LOL.

I got a question on the Fox one. Will everybody reset there allowed uses at some point, or is it like Yahoo and only that many for the year?

Rick
It resets halfway thru the season, four more races.

I wondered why you were making such crappy picks the last couple of weeks there.

And I've only got a couple of picks left on Stewart and KuBusch on Yahoo. :smt021

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 am

Yeah, I wasn't sure which one, was what way. I screwed myself all these past years in one of those leagues. Cause I couldn't remember what was what. LMAO

So I can use them up know. LOL

Rick

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 am

Every year I screw up Yahoo, maybe someone will come out of the pack this year that is totally unexpected.

Hornish is starting to look like he finally "gets" it, what Ambrose and Reutimann have done was completely unexpected, so who's next?

David Ragan how really been running below expectations, maybe he'll get back what he had at the end of last year, but he hasn't shown anything yet.

Sorenson is a disappointment every year, I think he came in too young. But no one can say he hasn't been given a fair chance to prove himself, he just hasn't done it.

Truex will soon announce where he is going next year, I expect it to be MWR, but all I really know about that situation right now is that once he's committed, he's gonna suck worse than he is now. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:32 am

Top Ten Other Rock Star Tributes Planned By Kyle Busch

Kyle Busch’s display of smashing the Gibson Les Paul at Nashville may not have won over many NASCAR fans’ hearts, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to stop paying tribute to the great institution that is rock-n-roll. Here are some of the other things he has on (Spinal) tap to pay homage to the greats like Pink Floyd, The Who, Phil Collins and many others! Tribute honoree in parentheses, for those not so big rock-n-roll fans…

10) Someday when career is declining, have a giant inflatable pig fly over audience with explosions and lasers to help distract from his glaring inability to race like he used to. (Pink Floyd)

9) Marvel at how incredibly far one can really go simply by refusing to drive 55. (Sammy Hagar)

8) Have session crew member standing by so that profitable tour of series will not be disrupted by 30-year member of crew dropping dead. (The Who)

7) Make alternating announcements of on-again, off-again trips to rehab center. (Eddie Van Halen)

6) Demand that his race car’s hoods prominently feature close-ups of his face from every possible angle. (Phil Collins)

5) Race year after year without doing anything new or original and release videos from every season, while denouncing other drivers who “are just in it for the money.” (Rush)

4) Expose himself on stage, maybe. (Jim Morrison)

3) Insist that NASCAR charge quadruple what is reasonably expected for events he appears in, capitalizing on this inexplicable need to see him race. (Rolling Stones)

2) Stay in bed with new and strange wife for one week for “peace” while feuding with former teammates over money. (John Lennon)

1) Go disco! (Just about anyone — except Elvis)

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:12 am

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:14 am

5) Race year after year without doing anything new or original and release videos from every season, while denouncing other drivers who “are just in it for the money.” (Rush)
I don't know who made this up, but they obviously don't actually listen to music.

Rush rarely repeats their sound from album to album.

As far as the videos, well, who can blame them???

People continue to buy them. Why not continue to make and sell them?? lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:28 am

Strike a nerve KM? Always thought Rush rarely varied from their "sound" myself...a poor man's Triumph so to speak. LOL

Anyway, it was written by Kurt Smith at Frontstretch.com, file your complaints there.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:02 am

Labbie wrote:Strike a nerve KM? Always thought Rush rarely varied from their "sound" myself...a poor man's Triumph so to speak. LOL
Wow. Well...at least I know that ole Kurt isn't the only one who hasn't been paying attention....lmao

Of course, coming from you....I'll forgive your lack of sense.

Poor man's Triumph? :smt017
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:46 am

Knightmare wrote:
Labbie wrote:Strike a nerve KM? Always thought Rush rarely varied from their "sound" myself...a poor man's Triumph so to speak. LOL
Wow. Well...at least I know that ole Kurt isn't the only one who hasn't been paying attention....lmao

Of course, coming from you....I'll forgive your lack of sense.

Poor man's Triumph? :smt017
http://www.triumphmusic.com/

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 am

GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!!

Yahoo locks overnight, Foxsports locks at 3 pm EDT Friday.

Everything else gives you to at least Saturday night (3M) or until almost race time Sunday.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Starting Lineup

Vickers on the pole, Shrubbie, JJ, Reut, and Kurt Busch round out the top 5. Skinner is the only one that did not make the field.

But Skinner being the only one not to make the field does NOT mean that Regan Smith or Brad K. are in...

Practice Speeds

Jeffie Poo will start at the back due to an engine change.

===============================================

For any lurkers from the Land of Oz (and others too)...
Ambrose to be featured on Sixty Minutes (Australia): #47-Marcos Ambrose will featured on Sixty Minutes on the Nine Network at 7.30pm this Sunday.

A Sixty Minutes crew, headed by reporter Peter Overton, was treated to a “fly on the wall” experience with Ambrose at a NASCAR event in the US. The crew began their experience at Ambrose’s home in Charlotte, North Carolina where they spent some time with his wife Sonja and two young daughters. Ambrose then treated them to an afternoon of gold panning at the site of North America’s first gold discovery at Reed Mine just outside of Charlotte – panning is one of Ambrose’s sources of relaxation in his otherwise hectic life.

For those fans outside of Australia, the Sixty Minutes website hosts a collection of online segments each week, so keep an eye on www.MarcosAmbrose.com for links to video coverage.

Crew Chief suspended for Racial Slur

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 am

Old Man Martin wins a fuel mileage fiasco (for JJ & Biffle anyway), Jeff Gordon second, Hamlin finally lives up to is potential with third, Edwards fourth and Biffle coasts home fifth. JJ ended up 22nd.

I guess that's really not that fair about Hamlin, he and McMurray have some of the weirdest problems sometimes.

In the 3M league, KM wins the week with a 761, Buga second with a 706, and I was third with a 654.

In the ESPN Draft game, Bowman II wins the week by a single point over Magnum 453 to 452, Bowman I was third with a 409, Crazy fourth with a 405, BR fifth with a 356, and WS sixth with a 245.

In the ESPN NW Pick'em game, I beat Buga 8 - 6 and retook the overall lead by 1. :smt038

In the ESPN SCC game, KM wins the week with a 631, I was second with a 596, with Buga right behind with a 592.

At FoxSports, I had a 387 to Buga's 316.

At Yahoo, Buga crushed me 228 to 162.

At CBS, KM won with a 568, I was second with a 531, and Buga third with a 440.

At the NASCAR.com, they have a message stating that the result will be available later in the day, which I guess means tomorrow as late as it already is. So, until tomorrow.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 pm

In the NASCAR.com D&P game, Magnum beats Crazy 690 - 502, WSR beats a dead team 659 - 187, Lawless beats BR 583 - 479, and Dead Sled beats the other dead team 458 - 148. Ranking by win/loss are WSR, BR, Magnum, Lawless, Crazy, Dead Sled, and then the dead teams. Rankings by points are Magnum, WSR, BR, Lawless, Crazy, and Dead Sled.

In the NASCAR.com Streak game, WSR was the only one to geta score with 146 (Stewart).

Infineon Entry List, pay attention to this one, lots of ringers and subs. 46 entered for 43 spots.

Saidheads rejoice, Boris is attempting in the #08
Fellows in the #09
Papis in the #13
Tom Hubert in the #27
Brian Simo in the #36
Tony Ave in the #37
Patrick Carpentier is LOCKED IN in the #55 replacing Michael Waltrip

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 am

PJ Jones is a late entry in a Robby Gordon car.

GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Scott Speed had a top 10 qualifying run going yesterday until he went into a corner too hard and took a little trip on the dirt.

Red Bull has purchased Joe Nemechek's entry so Speed can run and possibly make it back into the top 35.

Speed is in, Nemechek is out. Speed will have to start at the back due to the driver change.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Ambrose blows an engine in the first practice, will go to the back instead of starting third.

Gilliland rear-ends Andretti while coming out of the pits and totals his car. Andretti's car can be repaired. Gilliland will start at the back.

Truck race rained out last night, will run today at 1:30 ET.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:47 am

Well, I've been lax in posting the results, and still going to be lazy this week and not go thru the whole thing.

Basically, I kicked your asses everywhre but ESPN SCC, and if Gilliland hadn't gotten crashed, I would have kicked your asses there too. :smt023

It was a road course folks, that means Montoya and Ambrose should be in your lineups!!! :smt011

Anyway, Kahne wins, Stewart second, Ambrose third, Johnson fourth (punting every car he could catch), Hamlin fifth, Montoya sixth.

New Hampshire Entry List, 46 entered, 3 go home.

Both Regan Smith and Brad Kesolowski are attempting, they haven't made it yet. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Danica Patrick? The latest report puts her in a Rick Hendrick Chevrolet, instead of a Jack Roush Ford

Indy star sexy Danica Patrick: replacing Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Rick Hendrick's roster?

By Mike Mulhern
mikemulhern.net

LOUDON, N.H.

The latest on the Danica Patrick/NASCAR saga is quite intriguing.

If the Indy-car star does jump from the Indy Racing League to NASCAR, as increasingly appears likely, the battle for her, according to sources close to the negotiations, is down to car owners Rick Hendrick, of Chevrolet, and Jack Roush, of Ford.

According to these sources, Hendrick and General Motors' Chevrolet division are now suddenly the heavy favorites to sign Patrick.

And the key would apparently be Hendrick's willingness to put her in a Sprint Cup ride for the full 2010 season.

Roush has said he would like to see her run some NASCAR Nationwide and/or Truck events, along with six or seven Cup events, to get her accustomed to stock car racing.

Hendrick reportedly is willing to go further.

Patrick has talked increasingly positive in the past few weeks about moving to NASCAR, as "a new challenge." But she has indicated she was not particularly interested in starting at a lower level of stock car racing and slowly moving up.

Patrick has IMG, the top-of-the-line talent agency, negotiating for her, and NASCAR executives, according to sources, has put a high premium on getting her into this sport.

The kicker – Patrick might take Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s spot on Hendrick's official four-team Cup roster, with Earnhardt moving to an expanded JR Motorsports operation.

JR Motorsports, Earnhardt's own operation, run in partnership with Hendrick, would thus be stepping up to a full Cup program; Hendrick has already been talking with Talladega winner Brad Keselowski about Keselowski's future in NASCAR, with indications he could get a Cup ride with an expanded JR Motorsports venture, with Hendrick engines and Hendrick engineering.

Hendrick has been very successful this season with another satellite Cup venture, with Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman. Stewart in fact currently leads the Sprint Cup standings, in his first season as an owner-driver, and teammate Newman is a solid sixth in the standings.

It is not clear how far along any Patrick-IMG-Hendrick negotiations have gone, but sources tell mikemulhern.net that the Patrick-Hendrick deal is very close to being a 'done deal.'

Patrick herself has insisted she will make no decision or announcement about 2010 until later this season.

How well Patrick could do in adapting to the heavy, more awkward NASCAR stockers is a hotly debated topic, particularly given Sam Hornish Jr.'s struggles. Hornish, a three-time Indy tour champion, and in his second full season on the NASCAR tour, is only now finally getting comfortable and relatively successful in Cup cars.

Nevertheless, Patrick's star appeal is apparently so compelling to NASCAR executives and Hendrick that a 'learning curve' approach to driving these stockers may be secondary to the marketing impact of Patrick in NASCAR.

How significant Chevrolet's role is in the negotiations is unclear, particularly since GM is currently in bankruptcy and has just announced major cutbacks in its NASCAR operations.

But if Chevrolet – despite bankruptcy – could beat Ford to signing Patrick, that would be a major marketing coup…regardless of how well she might actually do out on the track.

It is unclear what Patrick's own thinking might be: She herself could be more enamored with the prospect of signing with Hendrick because his teams are currently very successful on the tour. Or she could be more enthusiastic just about a full-time NASCAR Cup deal.

What is surprising, if the Patrick-Hendrick-Chevrolet deal does come through, is that Ford – which has a long history of promoting women drivers, while Chevrolet does not – might once have had the inside track, only to lose out by insisting on a more traditional, if logical, approach to bringing a new driver into the top level NASCAR series, by insisting on 'a learning curve' for Patrick.

If Ford loses Patrick to Chevrolet, that would follow three other recent 'miscues,' or lost opportunities – losing Joey Logano to Joe Gibbs and Toyota, losing Mark Martin to Chevrolet's Hendrick, and losing Kyle Busch.

Return to “Team Activities”