NASCAR 2009

Anything related to activities for the team.
Dune Finkleberry
Special Envoy To Goat Community

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Sun May 10, 2009 12:40 am

Labbie wrote:Hey Jeremyyyyy....want a toke?
Racing drugs sounds a little more like blow. Weed would mellow you out too much. Racing sounds a little more "Up & at 'em." :smt009

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun May 10, 2009 3:19 am

Dune Finkleberry wrote:
Racing drugs sounds a little more like blow. Weed would mellow you out too much. Racing sounds a little more "Up & at 'em." :smt009
The last major suspension (lifetime) was for heroin.

Mayfield's PR people are saying it was probably a mixture of prescription meds with over the counter that set off the test.

And they're probably right abd he will be back in a couple of weeks.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dune Finkleberry
Special Envoy To Goat Community

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Sun May 10, 2009 3:47 am

Labbie wrote:
Dune Finkleberry wrote:
Whoa!

So much for the mellow factor. :smt021

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun May 10, 2009 3:58 am

Labbie wrote:
Dune Finkleberry wrote:

Mayfield's PR people are saying it was probably a mixture of prescription meds with over the counter that set off the test.

And they're probably right abd he will be back in a couple of weeks.
It does seem a bit odd that Jeremy Mayfield would start his own team, be running relatively well for an underfunded, brand new team, and jeopardize all that work by going out and getting baked.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue May 12, 2009 2:20 am

No leagues this week due to the All Star Race Saturday night. SPEED is having special shows all week during prime time.

I'll update the leagues tomorrow, as I am too lazy to do it now. :smt015 But, everyone that participated this week, won somewhere. Buga beat me by just a few points in too many places this week. :smt021
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue May 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Old Man Martin wins for the second time this year. It was a wild and wooley race. Didn't really have a big one, but had a record number of little ones.

In the 3M league, I won the week with a 691 with Buga right behind at 689, and KM had a 550. KM, you need to quit picking Junior. :smt006

In the ESPN Draft game, BR takes the week with an excellent 484, Crazy was second with a 437, Bowman I was third with a 387, WSR was fourth with a 348, Magnum fifth with a 340, and Bowman II was sixth with a 240. BR took the overall lead with 4363, Magnum second with 4329, WSR third with 3791, Bowman I fourth with 3778, Crazy fifth with 3767, and Bowman II sixth with 3714. Only 77 points separate third from sixth, and only 34 separate first from second.

In the ESPN SCC game, segment one ends with KM winning the week (692) and the segment (6826). I was second for both the week (643) and the segment (6776). Buga brings up the rear for both the week (585) and the segment (6498). Nice how that worked out huh? :smt038

In the ESPN NW PIck'em game, I beat Buga 4 - 3 and am now only 1 point behind Buga for the overall lead.

At FoxSports, Buga was second in the league this week with a 576, I tied for third for the week with a 565. Buga is sixth in the league overall and I am third.

In the NASCAR.com D&P game, Magnum beat Dead Sled 663 to 484, Crazy beat a dead team with a 538, BR beat the other dead team with a 518, and WSR beat Lawless 504 to 464.

In the NASCAR.com Streak game, WSR wins the week with a 180, Magnum and Lawless tied with a 170, and BR & Crazy got zero.

On Yahoo, Buga wins the week with a 227 to my 224, but I held on to win the first segment 2833 to 2766.

On CBS, KM wins the week with a 572, I was second with a 537, and Buga was third with a 440. Debs didn't make picks. I lead the overall by 1600+ points, Buga is second, KM third. I moved back up to 91st in the overall. The first segment ends after Dover in two races (not counting the All Star Race).

In the TSN Three for All game, Buga beat me 314 to 307, Buga is third in the league, I am fourth (out of five :smt011 ). This game ends after Dover and we will move on the Season 2, which is already set up and accepting teams.

In the TSN Wix Filters Pick 3 game, Buga wins the week with a 424, KM second with a 416, and I was third with a 398. We all beat the so-called expert, who had a 389.

No picks this week due to the All Star Race break, but there is racing from Lowe's Saturday night, so don't despair. The Trucks race Friday night on SPEED. In fact, if you have nothing better to do, just turn on SPEED at 9am EDT Friday, and sit back. They're running straight thru until Trackside ends at 11:30pm EDT.

And if you really have no life (and insomnia), after Trackside SPEED is replaying all the All Star Race specials from this week all the way thru to RaceDay at 4pm EDT Saturday. And you know what follows RaceDay...

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed May 13, 2009 1:35 am

Yeley takes seat in No. 41

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- J.J. Yeley will replace suspended Sprint Cup driver Jeremy Mayfield in the No. 41 car beginning with this weekend's preliminary to the Sprint All-Star race at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Yeley said on Tuesday that before an official announcement can be made, Mayfield must dissolve his ownership in the organization. He said the plan is for Mayfield's wife, Shana, to be listed as the official owner.

"I've already been to the shop and have been fitted for a seat. ... I met with the team," said Yeley, who has two top-fives and seven top-10s in 95 Cup races.

Mayfield on Saturday became the first Cup driver to be suspended for violating NASCAR's substance-abuse policy. The indefinite suspension affects him as a driver as well as an owner; he started his team about a month before the start of the season.

The 39-year-old Mayfield insists he did nothing wrong, that the positive test was the result of combining a prescription drug with an over-the-counter drug for allergies. Dr. David Black, who runs NASCAR's testing program, disputed his claim.

Yeley, who has been out of a Cup ride since losing his job at Hall of Fame Racing last season, had no reservations about stepping into Mayfield's seat.

"I don't," he said. "I know from the dealings I've had with Jeremy he's a super nice guy. I met with all the guys over there. They're the underdog trying to make it in the big world. They've got the equipment. It's just been a big learning curve trying to figure out this car.

"But they have cars more than capable of making these races."

Yeley will have to qualify on speed beginning with next week's Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway. Mayfield made only five of the first 11 races and ranked 45th in points. Only the top 35 in owner points are guaranteed a starting spot.

Yeley doesn't know how long the ride will last, but says there's a chance it could be the rest of the season.

"There's a question about what will happen with Jeremy," he said. "I am not exactly sure of the discussions Jeremy had with NASCAR. What he's telling me is [the positive test] was between medications he takes. Obviously, it's nothing bad. "If he can find a way to get reinstated, he will. I don't know how that's going to work."

But Yeley said Mayfield is determined to keep a car on the track regardless.

"They want to make it in the sport," Yeley said. "Those guys, they show up at 8 in the morning and they were still there at 8 in the evening. They have a lot of heart and soul over there."

Yeley understands he'll be subjected to the same random drug tests Mayfield took once he steps into the car. He is concerned, however, that he does not know what is on the list of banned substances.

"I know in the NFL and some of the other professional sports they make a list of everything that is legal and not legal," he said. "I don't think that's the way NASCAR does it. I don't know what I can take. If I have a migraine I'm scared to death to take something that may or may not trigger something."

It would really be funny (ironic, etc.) if Yeley takes over and starts making every race and running in the top 20.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu May 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Bill Elliott wrecks at Talladega trying to break 212 mph qualifying record - Story and pics

===============================================

Biffle comments on Drug Issue: #16-Greg Biffle was as surprised as anyone when #41-Jeremy Mayfield was found in violation of NASCAR’s substance abuse policy. Mayfield contends the positive result was due to a mixture of taking a prescrition drug and an over-the-counter allergy medication.

Just prior to the race at Bristol in March, Biffle made the decision not to mix a prescription with an over-the-counter pain reliever after injuring his ribs while attempting to dock his boat. Biffle said, “I was trying to get a clarification on a prescription that they (doctors) wanted to give me. They gave me a prescription, but I never took it because I didn’t really get a clear answer on it…it was for the pain in my ribs. I just ended up taking Ibuprofen instead of anything else. It’s a difficult spot especially with a rib injury like I had on what to do or what not to do. I did what I thought was right which was to weigh on the side of safety and that was not take it…take Ibuprofen and just tough it out. If you’ve gotta weigh on the side of something, weigh on the side of safety in my opinion”.

Top-10 Vote Getters leading Fan Vote: Sprint announced the names of the top 10 drivers leading the Sprint Fan Vote, a voting competition driven by fans awarding one NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team a position in the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race on Saturday, May 16.

The top 10 drivers in the Sprint Fan Vote as of May 12 (in alphabetical order) are:
AJ Allmendinger
Bill Elliott
Joey Logano
Jamie McMurray
Juan Pablo Montoya
David Ragan
David Reutimann
Elliott Sadler
Martin Truex Jr.
Michael Waltrip

The top eight in the standings are separated by less than 20,000 votes and the top two are separated by less than 4,000 votes. Votes placed on Sprint phones count double, which could cut the margin in half. The Sprint Fan Vote closes at 7:30pm/et on May 16. You can vote here

Was There Really A Point to This Chat?

Dave Despain's All Star Special is on SPEED tonight at 8 EDT, followed by the Pit Crew Challenge at 9.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 am

Greetings ESPN.com Stock Car Challenge competitor,

This is your friendly reminder that Segment 2 of ESPN.com's Stock Car Challenge is underway. Rosters have been cleared out and driver salaries have been adjusted. This is your chance for a fresh start to pick the winning team. The first race is May 24th so set your lineup before the green flag drops.

http://games.espn.go.com/stockcar/frontpage

Best of luck on the track!--- ESPN Fantasy Games

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 16, 2009 5:10 am

RaceBuddy Returns For All-Star Race

Last season, the TNT gang offered a new slice of technology to complement the TV coverage of the Sprint Cup Series. It was called RaceBuddy and was an online companion to the standard one-channel one-network TV coverage. It was an instant hit.

RaceBuddy offered the user an opportunity to view the TNT broadcast on TV and play on the Internet at the same time. That is music to the ears of many tech-savvy NASCAR fans. RaceBuddy contained live video from multiple TV camera angles and the audio from several team radios. Users got to choose what to see and hear.

Saturday night, NASCAR.com will be offering a mini-version of RaceBuddy for fans to use during the All-Star race. As one might imagine, the creative minds all got together and called it All-Star Buddy.

One click on the right side of the NASCAR.com website opens a pop-up page that contains the template for the All-Star offering. There will be four additional in-car cameras offered and perhaps some other goodies. This one-night special is a good reminder of just how badly NASCAR needs this for every race all season long.

The drivers who will be featured with in-car angles are Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr. It is not quite clear right now if the audio that goes along with the pictures will be the natural sound from the car or the team radio conversations.

In the politically correct climate in which we live, the team radios may well be censored because tempers tend to get a little hot and the All-Star race is a winner take almost all format.

NASCAR fans should certainly be aware that a free offering awaits them at NASCAR.com on Saturday night. All that is needed is a computer with broadband access and the experience of watching the All-Star race can be turned into a true multimedia experience.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 am

Charlotte Entry List

Qualifying is THURSDAY this week, so get your picks in earlier than normal on Yahoo and FoxSports.

Remember that the ESPN SCC game is starting its second segment and all teams were wiped clean. YOU MUST MAKE PICKS OR YOU WILL GET A BIG FAT ZERO!!!!

Andretti bumps way into Indy 500: Bump Day drama can even affect an Indy 500 veteran like John Andretti. But the Indy native shook off any nerves Sunday in last-ditch qualifying effort to make his tenth Indianapolis 500 field. Driving his #43 Richard Petty Window World Honda Dallara, Andretti had not been fast enough to make the 33-driver field in his first two qualifying attempts Sunday with a best of 220.2 miles per hour with twenty minutes remaining in time trials. But a quick change by the Window World crew helped the NASCAR regular make the field in his third and final attempt.

With six minutes left in Bump Day, Andretti posted laps of 221.571, 221.393, 221.201 and 221.098 for a four-lap of 221.316 m.p.h. and claim the 28th spot in next Sunday’s starting grid. Andretti’s start will be his third consecutive at Indy after taking a 13-year hiatus to drive on the NASCAR circuit.

In fact, Tony Stewart even texted Dreyer & Reinbold Racing competition director Larry Curry [who Stewart drove for in the IRL] for advise for Andretti during the afternoon qualifying excitement. The text said, "If he is uneasy about opening the entry, ask him to let it have its head on the exit. He is a full car width off the wall on the exit binding it up."

LOL- Tony is watching on TV and texts the fix to them in the pit.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed May 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Get your picks in...qualifying is TOMORROW (thursday) and the race is Sunday.

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning so this is your last warning!!!

NASCAR has issued penalties, suspensions and fines to the No. 146 team in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rules infractions committed during this past weekend's event at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

The car was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-I (any determination by NASCAR Officials that the race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20-5.4A (engine exceeded the maximum engine size of 358.000 cubic inch displacement) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book.

As a result, crew chief Charles Swing has been fined $200,000, suspended from the next 12 Cup championship events, suspended from NASCAR until Aug. 18 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Driver Carl Long and owner Danielle Long have been penalized with the loss of 200 driver and 200 owner points, respectively, suspended from the next 12 Cup Series championship events, suspended from NASCAR until Aug. 18 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Long completed three laps in the Sprint Showdown before retiring to the garage (engine).

The moral of this story - If you're gonna be a Start & Park team, it's best not to say your engine is the reason for parking if you're running it bigger than you should. :smt011

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 22, 2009 9:01 pm

LMS cookout

To further celebrate Coke's involvement and the 50th running of the 600-mile race at LMS, the track and Coca-Cola are hosting the nation's longest cookout Friday, called the Coca-Cola Quarter Mile Cookout.

Requiring more than 7,000 pounds of Kingsford charcoal, the grill will measure about 1,320 feet, spanning more than four football fields in length if stretched end to end.

The oval-shaped, quarter-mile grill, assembled on part of the track's frontstretch and pit road, will be manned by celebrity chef and Food Network personality Tyler Florence.

Joining Florence will be some of NASCAR's Coca-Cola drivers Clint Bowyer, Bobby Labonte, Kyle Petty and racing legend Bobby Allison. All the drivers will tie on aprons and help grill up lunch for thousands of fans. The event is free and open to all ticket and credential holders for the Coca-Cola 600.

Heavy rain leaves parts of Daytona track under water

Persistent rains falling on Daytona Beach, Fla., has parts of Daytona International Speedway under water, however, track officials say it will not affect NASCAR's race weekend in July.

Circulating photos show water reaching halfway up the SAFER barriers in some areas of the speedway and the Turn 1 tunnel is filled more than halfway with water.

As for long-term damage to the track's surface, speedway representative Andrew Booth said for now it is not an issue.

"Like much of the surrounding area, we've received a significant amount of rainfall in recent days," he said. "There has been no significant damage at the speedway from the rain but we have had some ponding of water.

"There are a lot of houses and streets that are flooded in our community from our rainfall and we believe that is more of pressing news story than water in our tunnel."

According to local reports, the Volusia County Council declared a state of emergency in the area in light of the historic rainfall amounts recorded (22 to 27 inches) in parts of Volusia and Flagler counties since Sunday when heavy rain began falling.

More rain is expected to fall Friday.

Shouldn't you expect flooding when you're only 3 feet above sea level?

Winning Charlotte, Indy proving an impossible feat

With Sprint Cup regular John Andretti making the Indianapolis 500 field in a Richard Petty-owned car this May, perhaps this is as good a time as any to look back on the connection shared between NASCAR drivers and the self-proclaimed Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

There are 20 drivers with at least 30 Cup starts and one appearance in the Indianapolis 500. Included in that list are 500 winners A.J. Foyt, Juan Montoya, Sam Hornish Jr., Johnny Rutherford and Parnelli Jones. Former Indy 500 rookies of the year like Jim Hurtubise, Bobby Allison, Tim Richmond and Tony Stewart.

Charlotte Motor Speedway planned to run its inaugural 600-miler on Memorial Day weekend in 1960, but the track wasn't completed in time and the race was pushed back three weeks. However, starting in 1961, the World 600 became stock-car racing's companion race to Indy. And because the two races were usually scheduled on separate dates, it wasn't long before the folks down south took an interest in attempting both in the same year.

According to the well-researched Johnson's Indy 500 site, Junior Johnson was the first NASCAR driver to give the Indy-Charlotte double a shot in 1963, failing to qualify at the Brickyard but finishing second at Charlotte three days later. In 1965, NASCAR regular Bobby Johns skipped Charlotte and finished seventh at Indy. One year later, Cale Yarborough made his Indy 500 debut -- passing on the World 600 -- and wound up getting caught up in a multi-car accident just as the field took the green flag. He was credited with 28th.

In 1967, Yarborough became the first driver to actually run both races in the same year. He finished 41st at Charlotte on Sunday and 17th at Indy on Tuesday, which wound up being run over two consecutive days because of rain. Jerry Grant completed the double the next year, finishing 12th at Charlotte and 23rd at Indianapolis four days later.

Twice, winners of the World 600 have attempted to repeat the feat at Indianapolis. On May 25, 1969, Lee Roy Yarbrough led 274 laps, including the final 238 for a two-lap victory in front of Donnie Allison at Charlotte. Five days later, he started eighth at Indianapolis and was running among the leaders when he retired with a split header after 65 laps, leaving him 23rd.

Of all the drivers who have attempted the double, Donnie Allison's 1970 effort might have been the best overall. When David Pearson's clutch went out with less than 40 laps remaining, Allison assumed the lead and went on to win the World 600 by a two-lap advantage in front of Yarborough. As a 500 rookie, Allison started 23rd in one of A.J. Foyt's team cars but consistently worked his way through the field. Even though Al Unser dominated the race, leading all but 10 laps, Allison finished fourth, one of five cars that completed the entire distance.

Allison nearly equaled his 1970 success the following season, finishing sixth in the Indianapolis 500 on Saturday, then winding up second behind brother Bobby at Charlotte on Sunday.

In 1974, the Indianapolis 500 was held on Sunday for the first time in its history, placing it head-to-head with the World 600. It would stay that way until Charlotte Motor Speedway added lights in 1992 and moved the 600-miler to an evening starting time the following year. In 1994, Andretti announced that he would attempt to run both races on the same day -- and he did just that, finishing 10th at the Brickyard, flying to Charlotte and winding up 36th with an engine failure later that evening.

Robby Gordon added his name to the list of drivers completing the same-day double in 1997, although both races were riddled with rain delays. He crashed out of the 600 and fire ended his run at Indy two days later.

After suffering from fatigue and dehydration after trying the double in 1999, Tony Stewart vowed never to attempt it again. But the lure of having your likeness etched on the Borg-Warner Trophy proved too much for the Indiana native, and in 2001, he gave it another shot. With an intense fitness and dietary regimen, this time Stewart completed all 1,100 miles -- finishing sixth at Indy and third at Charlotte.

Gordon then attempted the double for three consecutive years, beginning in 2002. He was most successful that year, finishing eighth at Indy and 16th -- one lap down -- at Charlotte. But a broken gearbox hampered his efforts at Indy in 2003, and then a rain delay in 2004 forced him to abandon his open-wheel ride after 27 laps in order to make the connection to North Carolina.

When Indianapolis pushed the starting time of its race back an hour in 2005, it created a difficult travel scenario between the two sites. So in the near term, it's highly unlikely that another driver will join Andretti, Gordon and Stewart in attempting to run both races in the same day.

Cup: By the Numbers

NASCAR has called a mandatory meeting of all licensed Sprint Cup Series drivers for Tuesday morning at the Research & Development Center in Concord, NC. The rumor is this closed-door meeting will address the current drug policy issues. TDP now has confirmation that Brian France and Mike Helton will be at the meeting in which drivers can ask any questions. NASCAR spokesman referring to the format as "town hall style."

Sunday Racing TV schedule

7:30AM - F-1 Monaco Grand Prix on SPEED: For NASCAR fans looking to sample the other holiday offerings, the Monaco GP is one of the most historic on the circuit.

12PM - Indy 500 Pre-Race on ABC: Another historic event with 33 cars set to go 500 miles. Former ABC NASCAR host Brent Musburger will be the host of the Indy 500 broadcast.

1PM - Indy 500 on ABC: Marty Reid will call the race with Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever alongside. NASCAR's Jamie Little, TV veteran Jack Arute, Vince Welch and Brienne Pedigo will cover pit road.

3PM - NASCAR RaceDay on SPEED: The show returns to the two-hour format with John Roberts hosting. Jimmy Spencer and Kenny Wallace offer commentary while Wendy Venturini and Hermie Sadler report from inside the track.

5PM - Sprint Cup Series on Fox: Chris Myers starts the coverage with Jeff Hammond and Darrell Waltrip from the Hollywood Hotel. Mike Joy calls the race with Waltrip and Larry McReynolds alongside. Steve Byrnes, Matt Yocum, Krista Voda and Dick Berggren will cover pit road. Green flag scheduled for 5:45PM.

8PM - The SPEED Report on SPEED: Adam Alexander and Bob Varsha co-host. Bob Dillner reporting on the Coca-Cola 600.

9PM - Wind Tunnel on SPEED: Dave Despain has Robin Miller as his co-host and the Indy 500 winner as a guest.

11PM - NASCAR Victory Lane on SPEED: John Roberts with Jimmy Spencer and Kenny Wallace as they interview the winning driver.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue May 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Well, the 600 Hours of Charlotte is finally over. Humpy always said he made a good deal for tickets with God so he never had a rainout, Karma is getting revenge on Bruton for his handling of Humpy's dismissal.

Reuti-toot-toot gets his first Cup win and adds another name to the "I've won in Truck, Nationwide, and Cup" list.

In the fantasy leagues this week:

In the 3M league, I won the week with a 697, KM right behind with a 682, and Buga was third with a 487.

In the ESPN Draft league, Bowman II win the week with a 381, BR was second with a 369, WSR is third with a 333, Crazy is fourth with a 330, Bowman I is fifth with a 261, and Magnum is sixth with a 219.

In the ESPN SCC game, I won the week with a 565, Buga is second with a 517, and KM third with a 432. Hint for KM, Regan Smith is not running a full schedule and was not entered at Charlotte.

In the ESPN Pick'em game, I beat Buga 9 - 8 and we are tied overall at 50.

At FoxSports, Buga beat me 419 - 413. Buga moved up to fifth in the league and I moved up to second.

In the NASCAR.com D&P game, WSR beat Magnum 641 - 567 (1st & 3rd on the week), BR (595) & Lawless (447) both beat dead teams, and Crazy beat Dead Sled 391 - 332. WSR still leads by win/loss, Magnum leads by points.

In the NASCAR.com Streak game, WSR and Lawless each scored 180, everyone else got goose-egged.

At Yahoo, Buga beat me 294 - 283 and takes the early lead on segment two.

On CBS, Buga wins the week with a 579, I was second with a 508, and Km brings up the rear with a 494. Hint for KM, Regan Smith is not running a full schedule and was not entered at Charlotte.

In the TSN Three for All game, I beat Buga 348 - 307. Buga is fourth in the league, I am fifth (and last).

In the TSN Wix Filters game, I beat Buga 389 - 303, KM did not make picks. I beat the so-called expert, Buga did not.

Dover Entry List - Hint for KM, Regan Smith IS attempting this week, but is not in the top 35, make your picks accordingly. Qualifying is Friday, race is Sunday, back on a normal schedule.

The tide is turning in the 88 camp, Rick Hendrick is not as certain this week that Tony Jr. will stay the crew chief for Dale Jr.

Scott Riggs is out of the #36 after Charlotte, Skinner is in except when the Cup races conflict with the Truck races. Patrick Carpentier is in the conflict races, Brian Simo will drive the road courses. Simo was already contracted to run the road courses when this new deal was signed.

Martin Truex is rumored to sign with MWR in the next couple of weeks, no word whether he will replace Mikey in the #55 or be a third MWR team. I'd guess a third team if he can bring along Bas Pro Shops as a sponsor. Martin's little brother signed a development deal with MWR a couple of weeks ago. Hmm, imagine that.

Drivers, owners meet with officials in town hall format

Also heard some rumors that Scott Speed will be replaced temporarily in the #84, but I can't find the source now. Guess Red Bull is still re-thinking dropping Allmendinger (I would be).

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed May 27, 2009 3:12 am

I am gonna have to look up who I have left that IS going to be running the full schedule...lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 am

I'll try to remember to link the starting lineup after quals for you, KM. Of course, if you don't pay attention...

GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!

Yahoo locks overnight, FoxSports locks at 3 EDT Friday afternoon.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 29, 2009 3:58 pm

New crew chief for Dale Jr.

Hendrick Motorsports today named Lance McGrew as interim crew chief of the #88 Sprint Cup Series team of driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. beginning with the June 7 event at Pocono Raceway. Team manager Brian Whitesell will lead the team this weekend at Dover.

"Our performance hasn't been where it should be," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "It's impossible to pin that on any one factor, but a change is the right decision at this point. We have a plan in place, and we're going to move forward with it."

Whitesell and Rex Stump, Hendrick Motorsports' lead chassis engineer, have been assigned to support McGrew on a full-time basis. Whitesell, who won two of seven races as Jeff Gordon's interim crew chief in 1999, will join McGrew and team engineer Tom Stewart on the #88 pit box to assist with race strategy.

"We're going to put our full resources toward improving the situation and winning races," Hendrick said. "It's going to be a collective effort that includes all of our drivers, all of our crew chiefs and all of our engineers. Everyone in our company will be involved on some level."

Tony Eury Jr. will move from the crew chief position into a key role with Hendrick Motorsports' research and development group. Eury posted one victory, one pole position, 19 top-10 finishes and 11 top-fives in 48 races with the #88 team.

"I have mixed feelings, and that's just natural," Eury said. "But I enjoy working at Hendrick Motorsports, and this is where I want to be. I'll do whatever I can to help all of our teams and try to be a part of another championship. I think a new challenge will be good."

McGrew, 41, earned the 2003 Nationwide Series championship with driver Brian Vickers. He won the October 2006 Sprint Cup race with Vickers at Talladega, and most recently led Cup rookie #25-Brad Keselowski to a seventh-place finish May 9 at Darlington. As a crew chief, McGrew has posted victories in all three of NASCAR's major touring series: Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck. He has won races with drivers Vickers, Jeff Gordon, Ricky Hendrick, Kyle Busch, Mark Martin and most recently Tony Stewart Feb. 14 at Daytona Beach.

Say Hello To Billy Bad Butt

No More Excuses For Junior

Mad Mikie's Rants and Raves - King Brian, the COT (Can of Tuna), the Confederate Flag, and other topics.

Who's Hot, Who's Not In Sprint Cup Heading To Dover

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Fri May 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Methinks Eury's " key role " is gonna be as a floor sweeper....lmao
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Knightmare wrote:Methinks Eury's " key role " is gonna be as a floor sweeper....lmao
Nah, they've got at least one high school kid that does that for free.

I suspect Tony Jr.'s role will be that of Morning Snack Liason, meaning he'll be the official coffee maker and donut purchaser, with an occasional role as Dale Jr.'s alarm clock. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm

From The Daly Planet...

Truck Series Race Is Tape-Delayed On SPEED

For those of you emailing about a live Truck Series blog from Dover, here is your answer. There are no lights at the Dover racetrack, so each season the Camping World Truck Series race is run live at 5PM ET.

Unfortunately, that time on a Friday does not work well for TV. So, while the radio and Internet scoring may be live at 5PM, the rest of us will be watching the recorded playback of the race at 8PM.

As usual, Krista Voda kicks things off with The Set-Up pre-race show using Ray Dunlap and Adam Alexander as her reporters. Then, Rick Allen steps-in to call the race with Phil Parsons and Michael Waltrip alongside.

There will be a full column up on the coverage shortly after it is over, so we ask for patience with your comments on the broadcast until its conclusion. Thanks again for taking the time to ask, I hope that my answer makes sense.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Starting Lineup

Hint for KM - Regan Smith made the field!!!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 29, 2009 11:50 pm

Rain moves Dover Truck race to Saturday evening

A persistent shower and lack of lights washed out the Truck Series race at Dover on Friday, moving it to 6 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Ron Hornaday will start from the pole.

Attempting to get a jump on the weather, NASCAR got the trucks on the track for pace laps, but rain immediately began to fall and halted the 5:08 p.m. scheduled start time.

After about 30 minutes, the race was postponed considering the weather and the fact that Dover's track does not have lights.

Moving the race to Saturday presents a long day at the track. Nationwide Series qualifying begins at 10 a.m., followed by two Cup Series practices and the Nationwide race at 2:30 p.m.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat May 30, 2009 2:04 am

Hey Labbie. Do I have to rejoin the league for Segment 2 on the TSN game???

It won't give me the option to make picks after week 13
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 30, 2009 2:50 am

Knightmare wrote:Hey Labbie. Do I have to rejoin the league for Segment 2 on the TSN game???

It won't give me the option to make picks after week 13
Yeah, either I didn't get an email about the Wix Filter game or I deleted it without reading it. I just set up the CC league, password is calm.

Buga, you should get an email.

If you want to join in the other TSN game (Three For All - Season 2), it starts a new segment at Pocono next week too. Public league, no password needed. And Buga, you haven't signed up here yet either.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat May 30, 2009 4:08 am

That's odd. When I tried to join the league again, it said I was already a PART of that league.

These damn games drive me bugshit at times.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Knightmare wrote:That's odd. When I tried to join the league again, it said I was already a PART of that league.

These damn games drive me bugshit at times.
Sounds like you may have gone into a Season 1 instead of a Season 2, but it was kinda screwy last night. Try going here first, you should get a list of what you have already signed up for on the right side of the page.

It is finally showing the Wix Filter Season 2 game for me there, it wasn't last night

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun May 31, 2009 2:10 am

Busch's remarks on Junior ring true
By Ed Hinton

DOVER, Del. -- So was Kyle Busch wrong?

No, just candid. As usual.

What infuriates Junior Nation so much about Busch's barbs at their icon is that the remarks usually hit a nerve, dead center.

If you don't believe me, ask Dale Earnhardt Jr. himself, who didn't argue for long with Busch's remark that "it's never Junior; it's always the crew chief."

After initially bristling, and retaliating that "he's always had a chip on his shoulder for me," Earnhardt considered the situation further, recognized the truth when he saw it, and pretty much laid out the ways Busch is right.

Earnhardt punctuated his analysis of himself and his team with, "Like Kyle said …"

It all started Friday morning after Lance McGrew, named Earnhardt's interim crew chief to replace the nationally and unmercifully maligned Tony Eury Jr., sat down and chuckled to himself and the media in a manner very much like that of James Bond laughing ironically at a virtually impossible predicament he's gotten into.

"Yes," McGrew said at Dover International Speedway, as if confirming to M via satellite radio, "next week at Pocono we'll take the reigns of the No. 88, and" -- and here there was an especially devil-may-care lilt of glee -- "see what we can do."

He shrugged, smiled, seemed to have spent the last 24 hours reading his Tennyson -- "Theirs not to reason why. Theirs but to do and die" -- and rode ahead as ordered by team owner Rick Hendrick.

Then came Busch, who'd worked with McGrew at Hendrick in the Nationwide Series in 2004. Busch could barely conceal his pity for the crew chief.

"He's got his hands full, I guess," Busch said of McGrew. "And if Junior doesn't run well, then [McGrew] is going to be the 'problem' again."

Earnhardt didn't like that at first, but after pondering, after taking a pounding of questions about what sort of pressure McGrew faces as the new crew chief -- and expected savior -- for NASCAR's most popular driver, Earnhardt let the "like Kyle said" agreement set in.

"Lance'll be under an immense amount of scrutiny and criticism," Earnhardt said.

"Like Kyle said, most people have always been on Tony Jr.'s case and never really pointed the finger at me …"

Then slowly, resignedly, certainly, Earnhardt acknowledged that, even if McGrew, like Eury before him, takes one for the megastar, then eventually all the onus will fall on … Dale Earnhardt Jr.

"Eventually, the only person who'll have to answer to my success is me," Earnhardt said. "Whether that's from here forward, I don't know.

"But eventually I'm going to be the one who has to answer to the fact of how much did I live up to my father's name, and how much did I live up to his wins, and everything he accomplished, and how much did I live up to everyone else's expectations -- all my fans' and all the media's expectations.

"And obviously, when you put yourself at Hendrick Motorsports, you're in the best equipment and should win races.

"And if you don't, that really makes for a hard argument that you had any business being there in the first place."

You want it any more direct than that, Anti-Junior Nation? Or do you, Junior Nation? There it is, all on the table, for both warring sides.

"So we've got to work hard to get ourselves that argument," Earnhardt said.

He is hopeful, because "Lance is a pretty tough guy. He tells you like it is. Doesn't pull any punches. I'm excited for somebody like that to come in and be aggressive with the team, because you don't really get anywhere when you have people telling you what you want to hear."

What malfunctions or dysfunctions -- Earnhardt and Eury are first cousins -- led to the tailspin in their season that left Hendrick with no choice but to separate them?

First a platitude, and then more owning up from Earnhardt: "There really isn't one thing you can put your finger on as to why it didn't work," he said, but quickly added: "I take full responsibility for making some mistakes along the way -- especially this year. … I would definitely say that I haven't been on my game.

"I shoulder any amount of responsibility that's necessary, and that everybody feels is fair, for the fact that we didn't make this work."

So fire at will, Anti-Junior Nation. Earnhardt won't argue.

He will say that he and Eury and the entire Hendrick organization "were definitely trying our hardest; we really were. We had a lot of meetings, and we sat down and talked it out, and talked it out, and tried to get a better approach each weekend, a different approach.

"We changed a lot of things about how we set the cars up and everything …

"And we just kept going backwards."

So, Earnhardt loyalists, you may call Kyle Busch obnoxious, arrogant, belligerent, whatever.

But don't call him wrong.

He wasn't. Even Earnhardt acknowledged that it's "like Kyle said …"

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun May 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Kyle Petty is subbing for Jimmy Spencer on RaceDay today.

Last chance to get your picks in.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am

GRRRR....Almost done and IE decides to lock up going into one of the TSN games. So here we go again...

Sorry for the delay, but I do have to work a couple of days a month. :smt023

JJ wins with a hard drive thru the top 10 after the last pit stops, Stewart comes in second but takes over the points lead.

In the TSN Wix Filters game, KM wins the week with a 448, Buga and I tied with 350. Last week of the segment, I won the overall by 400+ over Buga, with KM in third.

In the TSN Three for all game, Buga beat me 260 to 152, we ended the segment last (me) and next to last (Buga).

In the 3M league, KM wins the week, with a 664, I was second with a 641, and Buga was third with a 544. Overall, I have a 300+ point lead over KM, Buga is another ~1300 behind KM.

In the ESPN NW PIck'em game Buga broke the overall tie by beating me 7 - 6. Still a tight race here.

In the ESPN Draft game, Buga take the top two spots with BR getting a 535 and Crazy a 408. Magnum was third with a 403, Bowman I fourth with a 318, and WSR and Bowman II tied with a 297. Overall rankings are BR, Magnum, Crazy, WSR, B-II, and B-I.

In the ESPN SCC game, I thought I had a good score with a 643, But then I saw Buga's 715 and KM's 703. :smt011 Buga has the early lead in this segment by 24 over me, KM is another 73 behind me.

At FoxSports, I beat Buga 380 - 153 (scratch). I moved up to second in the league, Buga dropped two spots to seventh.

At Yahoo, Buga beat me 248 - 178 and extends his overall lead early in the summer segment.

At CBS, Buga wins the week with a 586, KM is second with a 468 and I brought up the rear with a 431. In my defense, I was forced to pick a driver that wasn't racing, don't know why KM picked the same driver when he had to have an alternative. :smt023 We finished a segment here, I destroyed you guys by over 1400 ppoints and finished 203rd against everyone playing. :smt038 Of course, I was 8th at one point not too long ago. :smt021 But at least we have a full complement of drivers again.

In the NASCAR.com D&P game, Magnum beat a dead team 649 - 87, WSR beat Crazy 604 - 544, Lawless beat a dead team 545 - 231, and BR beat Dead Sled 507 - 496. No real changes in the overall standings (and I don't feel like doing all that typing right now).

In the NASCAR.com Streak game, WSR won the week with a 245, Lawless was second with a 220, Magnum third with a 165, and Buga apparently didn't make picks for either of his teams. Overall it is WSR, BR, Magnum, Lawless and Crazy.

This week we go to Pocono, I love this track. Pocono Entry List, 46 entered for 43 spots, including Dexter Bean and Trevor Boys. Carpentier replaces Skinner for the first time in the #36, Mike Wallace replaces Todd Bodine in the #64. Like Riggs, Todd apparently won't start and park either.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:03 am

Who the heck did I pick that wasn't racing THIS time??? lol
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:17 am

Knightmare wrote:Who the heck did I pick that wasn't racing THIS time??? lol
Almirola.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Long loses appeal of penalty

NASCAR driver #46-Carl Long says he has lost his appeal of a 12-race suspension and penalty. The National Stock Car Racing Commission denied Long's appeal at a hearing Tuesday, the driver said. The commission isolated Long's suspension to the Sprint Cup Series, meaning he can find work in one of the sport's lower levels. However, Long's full-time job is working with the Front Row Motorsports #34 Chevy in the Cup series. The commission also told Long the $200,000 fine levied against crew chief Charles Swing would not fall to Long if Swing can't pay it. Long was penalized for having an illegal engine at Lowe's Motor Speedway last month. The 12-race suspension, 200-point penalty and $200,000 fine are NASCAR records. He said he plans to research how to go about appealing the penalty further. "I'm now suspended only from the Cup garage for 12 weeks," Long told ESPN.com. "At the end of year, though, they're still sitting there with their hands out. So my crew chief still doesn't get his 2010 license if it hasn't been paid. I'm very disappointed in them."(ESPN/AP)

As the realization that the National Stock Car Commission on Tuesday upheld the record 200-point, $200,000 penalty against him sunk in, Carl Long became increasingly frustrated. Frustration turned to anger. In minutes, he was livid. "Big Bill [France, NASCAR founder] and Bill Jr. ruled the sport like a father -- at the end of the day they took care of their family," Long said. "These guys don't care. They don't have any heart. Basically, it seems like they don't care about the sport, they just want to make a dollar. I truly have a sour taste of the management in our sport. They've forgotten the roots of how this sport was created, and who are the people buying the tickets, sitting in the stands. The people in the stands are me." Multiple calls to NASCAR for comment were not immediately returned. When Long had to change engines prior to the Sprint Showdown, NASCAR surveyed the first engine and determined it to be illegal. He was confident entering Tuesday's appeals hearing. He thought he'd go in, plead his case, and come out with nothing more than a revamped concept of the lucrative engine-building-and-selling business in NASCAR. Not so. More at ESPN.com.(6-2-2009) Comment here

National Stock Car Racing Commission Statement on Carl Long

On June 2, 2009, the National Stock Car Racing Commission heard and considered the appeal of 3 penalties issued by NASCAR relative to the #146 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car following inspection of the car’s engine on May 16, 2009 for an event at Lowe’s Motor Speedway.

The penalties concern Section 12-1 of the NASCAR Rule Book “Actions detrimental to stock car racing”, Section 12-4-I “Any determination by NASCAR Officials that the Race Equipment used in the Event does not conform to NASCAR rules”, and Section 20-5.4A “Engine exceeded the maximum engine size of 358.00 cubic inch displacement.”

The penalties assessed were:
-A loss of 200 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Car Owner Points; suspension from the next 12 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Events; suspension from NASCAR until August 18, 2009; and probation until December 31, 2009 for owner, Danielle Long
-A loss of 200 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Driver Points; suspension from the next 12 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Events; suspension from NASCAR until August 18, 2009; and probation until December 31, 2009 for driver, Carl Long
-A $200,000 fine; suspension from the next 12 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship Events; suspension from NASCAR until August 18, 2009; and probation until December 31, 2009 for crew chief, Charles Swing

The Appellants requested and were granted a deferral of the fine and suspension penalties until such time as this hearing could be convened. The Appellants did not contest that the engine was oversized. They argued that the engine had been supplied by a third party and that the infraction may have been due to an error on the part of that supplier, or to expansion due to overheating, or to general wear and tear on the engine. The Appellants further argued that they are a very low budget team incapable of bearing suspensions and a fine of this magnitude.
The NASCAR representative argued that NASCAR has and continues to consider an oversized engine to be one of the most egregious of rules violations, warranting the harshest of penalties. The last penalty notices issued in NASCAR’s top series for an oversized engine were in 1991 and included 12-race suspensions in the series and a sizeable fine for its day.
The Rule Book provides 8 cubic inches of flexibility in engine construction from a minimum of 350.000 cubic inch displacement to a maximum of 358.000 cubic inch displacement. Measurements on the engine in question calculated to a total cubic inch displacement of 358.197. According to the NASCAR representative, even the largest amongst the many, many engines inspected over the years usually allowed ample buffer below the 358.000 c.i.d. line.
The Commission reaffirms that the race team is ultimately responsible for all components on the race car, including any supplied by third-party vendors. The Commission notes that during the hearing, the driver expressed a strong love of racing and a desire to compete at the highest levels of the sport. His testimony came across as genuine and heartfelt.
While it is tempting to consider penalties that this driver and team can more-readily bear, the sport would not be well served by having a sliding scale of penalties calibrated to a given team or member’s resources. Penalties of this magnitude for this type of infraction are warranted in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

Upon reviewing all the testimony, the National Stock Car Racing Commission has decided to amend the penalties as follows:
-in each of the three Penalty Notices, the statement that reads “Suspended from NASCAR until August 18, 2009” shall be rescinded.
-all other elements of the penalties (points, suspensions from next 12 NSCS events, fine and probations) remain in force.
-the periods of suspension shall be adjusted from the date of this hearing.
The Appellants have the right under Section 15 of the Rule Book to appeal this decision to the National Stock Car Racing Commissioner.(NASCAR)(6-2-2009)

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Labbie wrote:
Knightmare wrote:Who the heck did I pick that wasn't racing THIS time??? lol
Almirola.
Oh FFS.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Get your picks in.

Buga you haven't signed up for either of the TSN Season 2 games.

KM, you signed up for the TSN Three for All but not the Wix Filters game (now being called Pick 3 with Lee Montgomery - Season 2).

Rain postpones Prelude to the Dream race at Eldora
All-star dirt event rescheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 9
By Official Release
June 3, 2009
02:59 PM EDT

ROSSBURG, Ohio -- Persistent rain has forced officials at Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio, to postpone the fifth annual Prelude to the Dream. The all-star dirt late model race has been rescheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 9. A decision regarding the broadcast of the event will be made at a later date.

The wet weather made it impossible to run the event that was slated to benefit four military-themed charities -- Wounded Warrior Project, Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, Operation Homefront and Fisher House.

"We worked really hard to make sure everything was right for the drivers, fans and viewers at home on HBO Pay-Per-View, but the weather was the one element we couldn't control," said Tony Stewart, two-time Sprint Cup Series champion and owner of Eldora Speedway.

Those who have already purchased the Prelude to the Dream on HBO Pay-Per-View, which was slated to begin Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET, will be refunded.

Those who purchased a ticket to the event can apply the value of their Prelude to the Dream ticket toward any remaining event on the 2009 Eldora Speedway schedule. To view the schedule, please visit www.EldoraSpeedway.com or call the track office (937) 338-3815.

Return to “Team Activities”