NASCAR 2009

Anything related to activities for the team.
Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 pm

300th start for Kurt Busch: Miller Lite Dodge driver Kurt Busch will be making his 300th career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start in Saturday's Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway. In his 299-race Cup career that began on Sept. 24, 2000 (at Dover, Del.) he has had 299 starts, 19 wins (6.4%), 63 top-fives (21.1%), 119 top-10s (39.8%), and 10 Coors Light Pole Awards.

===============================================

Gordon, Johnson going for records at Phoenix: Hendrick Motorsports drivers have won four straight races at Phoenix International Raceway, with #48-Jimmie Johnson visiting Victory Lane during the last three events. #24-Jeff Gordon won the April 21, 2007, contest after starting from the pole position. During the last eight races at the track, Hendrick Motorsports drivers have claimed five victories and five pole positions.

Last November, Jimmie Johnson made track history by becoming the first driver to win three consecutive races at Phoenix International Raceway. On Saturday, the three-time and defending NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion will attempt to extend that history with a fourth consecutive Phoenix victory - this time in the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500.

Gordon, who ended a 47-race winless streak on April 5 with his first victory at Texas Motor Speedway, now has 82 in his career. He stands one behind fifth-place Cale Yarborough on the all-time victories list and only two away from tying Bobby Allison and Darrell Waltrip for third.

Todd Bodine in the #64 at Phoenix; Geoff at Talladega: Just like it has every race weekend, the Gunselman Motorsports #64 Toyota team heads to the next event hoping to qualify for the sake of survival and opportunity to compete.

The Gunselman Motorsports team has been prepping the all-white #64 Toyota for Phoenix the last two weeks to ready for the one-mile oval. Having made three of the seven Sprint Cup races this year, the team will work heavily on qualifying runs during practice on Friday. Then, when it's time to line up with the other "go or go-homers" later that day in qualifying, driver Todd Bodine will utilize his championship skills to make the race. The team will have Geoff Bodine driving the #64 Toyota at Talladega Superspeedway.

McMurray team gone after 2009? The #26 Roush Fenway Racing team of Jamie McMurray is expected to be dumped by Roush when it has to cut back to four Cup teams after this season.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Power Rankings aren't too bad this week..

Jeff Burton
Jeff was asked this week if he has a hard time understanding Marcos Ambrose's Tasmanian accent: "I grew up with Ward, so I can understand pretty much anybody."
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:32 am

My ESPN SCC points at 300 laps - 666.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Old Man Martin wins the race at Phoenix, with Stewart hot on his heels and Kurt Busch third, Johnson fourth, and Biffle takes fifth after winning the NW race Friday.

In the 3M league, I led the way with a 608, Buga was second with a 582, and KM brings up the rear with a 574. Overall it is me followed by KM, with Buga in third.

On the ESPN Draft game, BR leads the way with a 422, Magnum is second with a 410, Carzy is third with a 390, Bowman II is fourth with a 381, Bowman I is fifth with a 291, and WSR brings up the rear with a 280. Overall standings are BR, Magnum, Bowman I, Bowman II, WSR, and Crazy.

In the ESPN SCC game, I squeaked a win over KM with a 661 to his 660. Buga is third with a 611. Good week for all of us and the same order to the overall standings, with KM just 7 points out of the lead.

ESPN is apparently having trpubles with the NW Pick'em game, so I don't know who won. From what I can see, we either both got them all right (unlikely IMO) or got them all wrong (still unlikely but probable).

In FoxSports, Buga takes second in the league with a 494 and moves up to 8th in the league :smt023 ; I was third in the league this week with a 465 and remain in fourth, but only 9 points out of third. :smt038

On the NASCAR.com D&P game, Magnum leads the way with a 709 over Crazy with a 555, WSR wins with a 642 over a dead team, BR beats Lawless 503 to 451, and Dead Sled beats a dead team with a 391. By points it is WSR, Magnum, BR, Lawless, Crazy, and Dead Sled. By win-loss, it is WSR at 7-1, BR and Lawless tied at 6-2, Magnum is fourth at 5-3, Crazy is 4-4, and Dead Sled is 3-5.

In the NASCAR.com Streak game, WSR got points, everyone else didn't. Overall standings are WSR, BR, Crazy, Magnum, and Lawless.

On Yahoo, I beat Buga 256 - 239 and I lead Buga in the overall by 77, while Buga is partying like it is 1999 (his total score). :smt023

On CBS, I beat Buga 564 - 385. KM and Debs neglected to make picks. Overall it is me, Buga, KM, then Debs. And I dropped from 8th to 12th in the overall overall standings. Much better than I thought it was going to be.

In the TSN Three for All game, Buga was second in the league this week with a 358, I was third in the league with a 357. I'm third overall with Buga in fourth just 10 points back.

And finally, in the TSN Wix Filters game, Buga pounded us with a 491, I had a 393, and KM didn't make picks.

Next week is Talladega, the Redneck Mardi Gras in the infield, and 2.66 miles of restrictor plate excitement.
Last edited by Labbie on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:32 am

Was good to see the Ol' Man take it. :smt026

Now if only Labbie would take a week off, I might beable to catch him. LOL

Rick

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Buga1 wrote:Was good to see the Ol' Man take it. :smt026

Now if only Labbie would take a week off, I might beable to catch him. LOL

Rick
Labbie's not (intentionally) taking a week off anytime soon. Although with some of the picks I have left in a couple of places, it might just seem that way. :smt023

Talladega Entry List

46 entered, including Geoff Bodine, inspired by Old Man Martin's win in Phoenix, puts the bobsleds on the shelf for a week to make an attempt.

McDowell replaces Blaney: the updated entry list for the Aarons 499 at Talladega Superspeedway shows Michael McDowell now driving the #66 Prism Motorsports Toyota for owner Phil Parsons and not Dave Blaney, who has ran six races for the team in 2009. No word if this is a permanent move or just for Talladega.

Race and Commercial Breakdown of the Subway Fresh Fit 500
Total race brdcst time 137 Total comm. brdcst time 52
Total number of commercials: 110
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 62
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 62
Total amount of time these brief promos take during broadcast: app. 8 min. 50 sec.
Total minutes: 189
Minutes of race broadcast: 137
Minutes of commercials: 52
Number of missed restarts: 1
Number of ‘mystery cautions’: 1
Total Digger sightings: 31
Animated Digger shots: 9
‘Digger Vision’ shots: 2
Still Digger shots: 16
Text Digger to 7555 mentions: 2
Get Digger theme at itunes.com mentions: 2
Number of times selected drivers were focused on:
Reed Sorenson – 6
Brian Vickers – 16
Ryan Newman – 23
David Reutimann – 25
Jeff Burton – 30
Denny Hamlin – 43
Kyle Busch – 43
Dale Earnhardt Jr. – 49
Jeff Gordon – 51
Jimmie Johnson – 56
Kurt Busch – 76
Tony Stewart – 82
Mark Martin (race winner) – 111

Aw come on. I know they mentioned Allmendinger when he spun. :smt023

NASCAR will NOT penalize Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Casey Mears for their post-race incident at Phoenix.

Of course they won't, not even NASCAR wants a riot at 'Dega.

Vote for your favorite driver to get in the All Star Race
http://www.nascar.com/promos/allstar/

I suggest we start a campaign to get Norm Benning (#57) in.

Kahne and Allmendinger sign with RPM thru 2010.

See ya later Sorenson and Sadler. :smt023

“He [Rick Hendrick] makes dreams come true. I watched Tim Richmond win after he was sick, [and] this is as big a deal to me. Arlene [Martin’s wife], thank you for letting me do it. I knew Tony Stewart was good for awhile… I knew I had the opportunity to lose it. But Tony raced me clean.” Mark Martin, race winner

“You can’t say you’re unhappy running second, especially to Mark Martin. It’s good to see him still kicking butt. It just shows a guy like him can kick our butts like everyone else… really proud of Darian Grubb and all the guys on this team. I can taste it. I know it’s coming.” Tony Stewart, finished 2nd

“My crew held me in there all night long. They gave me great pit stops. I felt like a third place effort tonight was like a win because Mark Martin was stout and Tony Stewart was strong midway through the race. Great job for the Miller Lite Dodge. Right now, we’re feeling pretty good.” Kurt Busch, finished 3rd in his 300th career start

“It was a real good run for us. We might have been fighting for a top 5 if the driver had qualified a little better. I’m just real proud of these guys that work on the Mobil 1 Dodge. They really put a lot of work into it. I said if we keep narrowing it down, changing pieces of the puzzle, and trying to get all the right people in the right places, we could be competitive.” Sam Hornish, Jr., finished 9th

“It felt good running in the top 10 in only my second time at Phoenix in a Cup car, and we were able to pick up a couple spots in the point standings. The points are still pretty close, and we’re not far outside the top 12. That feels pretty good for us.” Marcos Ambrose, finished 14th

“I don’t know, probably should have came for tires there. We were running 18th and I don’t know what Michael [Waltrip] was doing… but he ran us over. Giving up this many points again another week in a row — it’s a devastation. Our speedway cars are not that fast, so I’m really concerned about that. Looking forward to having a new driver in the 55 next year.” Robby Gordon

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 pm

From The Daly Planet

TV Ratings Continue To Deliver A Message

There is a wake-up call being delivered by NASCAR fans nationwide. The only question is, will it result in change?

Here are the latest NASCAR TV ratings from Jayski.com:

NASCAR on Fox posted a record-low 3.3/6 Saturday night for racing from Phoenix. Saturday's 3.3/8 is an -18% drop compared to last year's 4.0/7. FOX's rating at the green flag was just a 3.1/6, down -18% compared to last year's 3.8/7 when a long-running Yankees-Red Sox game drove some viewers straight into the first lap of the race. For the season-to-date, NASCAR On FOX is averaging a 4.9/10 in the metered markets, down -14% compared to last year's 5.7/11.(4-20-2009)

There was a time when the NASCAR on Fox franchise was the face of the sport. That network basically revived NASCAR at a time when the sport was in need of a steady TV partner.

The original development of the Hollywood Hotel and the introduction of the admittedly "West Coast kind of guy" Chris Myers added a new wrinkle to the sport. Myers antics on the air were an interesting contrast to the homespun Darrell Waltrip and the rodeo riding Jeff Hammond.

Topping off the team was the professionalism of Mike Joy and the intensity of Larry McReynolds. With a long history in the sport, Joy has a racing resume that is hard to top. For many fans, Joy is the voice of NASCAR on TV.

Fox is loaded with all the technical toys, a top-notch TV crew and a veteran production team. So, what's the problem?

If Phoenix is any indication, the coverage has shifted from the original priority of showing the racing to the new priority of paying the bills. The Saturday night race telecast was drowned in an embarrassing level of sponsor plugs and commercial elements that were forced into the telecast.

From the Subway sandwiches in the pre-race show through the Monster Moment toward the end, the NASCAR on Fox announcers never had a fighting chance to make this race interesting for the TV viewers. The announcers had been firmly handcuffed by the most powerful group in sports TV, the Ad Sales Department.

Over the years, the cast of the NASCAR on Fox team have become characters unto themselves. None of them are bigger than Waltrip. "Ole DW" has expanded his personal franchise, but it has come at a cost.

Waltrip steps back and forth between Fox and SPEED during these racing weekends, sometimes offering great commentary on the sport. Sometimes, however, he appears as nothing more than a shill for causes like Digger merchandise or the Toyota brand. Working both sides of the street may have finally caught up with him.

While some may try to point to the COT as a big problem where TV is concerned, the issue is deeper. Listening to the races on the radio and following the action on Trackpass offers a very different perspective. While the Fox TV coverage is driven by who is leading the race and the location of the high profile drivers, what is actually happening on the track may be much different. Sometimes, very different.

There are only five races remaining in the Fox portion of the Sprint Cup Series TV package this season. After the news of the continued decline in ratings, it should be interesting to see if the Fox team shakes things up for the remaining events.

Looking for the best racing on the track vs. following the leaders is a fundamental issue that TV has wrestled with for a long time. While the new dynamic of the COT and the rather different style of racing has been mastered by the teams, it certainly has not translated into substantive changes in the way racing is shown on TV by Fox. There has been a lot of the same old thing and it is not working.

This weekend at Talladega, Friday brings an ARCA race on SPEED. Saturday brings a Nationwide Series race on ABC and then a Camping World Truck Series race on SPEED from Kansas. Many fans will have seen three events by Sunday afternoon.

Incredibly, once again this season SPEED and Fox will actually overlap live on the air for thirty minutes as both Fox-owned networks air pre-race shows. NASCAR fans will be forced to choose between two NASCAR TV networks both trying to interview the same drivers live from the same track. Perhaps, not the best way to start the NASCAR on Fox coverage.

Talladega does offer the opportunity to change the momentum of this TV season and get things back on track. Clusters of cars and long caution laps should make the commercial elements a lot less painful than the Phoenix debacle. Great HD pictures and fantastic audio should keep viewers interested.

The only thing missing from this scenario of success is the Fox commitment to stay with the stories of the race and keep viewers updated on the non-superteams. Interview all the drivers who fall out of the race. Show us the rookies, the independents and the teams working to stay in the top 35.

The build-up to the TV coverage of the Talladega Sprint Cup race is going to be huge once again this season. Looking at the TV ratings, however, one thing is very clear. Fans do not and will not take the time to watch the same old coverage. The challenge of pulling fans from the DVR's and TiVo's to get them to watch the race live can only be met by one group. The NASCAR on Fox team.

Live coverage begins Sunday at 1PM on Fox with the green flag waving at 2:19PM ET.

TDP welcomes comments from readers. Just click on the comments button below and follow the easy instructions. The rules for posting are located on the right side of the main page. This is a family-friendly website, please keep that in mind when posting.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by The Daly Planet.

One of the comments to the above story...
Anonymous said...
I know that I am in the minority here, but I think that Fox hasn't gone far enough in using Digger to grow the fan base and generate revenue for the network. They are bringing in fans of the Cartoon Network, but they need to think even bigger. There are many other specialized audiences out there, and they should use Digger to bring in those, too.

Let's start with the Food Network. Rodents are an underutilized source of food, and Fox could begin promoting rodent barbecue. I see tailgate parties with fans competing in barbecue contests with Digger or the rodent of your choice on the menu. In stead of focusing on dumb old cars or silly drivers, the pre-race shows could focus on the barbecue contest. Cowboy Hammond's image would make him the perfect celebrity judge.

And I guarantee ol' DW will be front and center hawking "Digger Barbecue Sauce" available at his web site.

And to eliminate more of that stupid old racing, that boring time during green flags could be filled up with pre-recorded interviews with drivers discussing their personal favorite recipes.

Yeah, the ratings will skyrocket as the fans of the Food Network discover NASCAR television coverage on Fox.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Earnhardt, Mears placed on probation for PIR incident

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR announced Tuesday that it has placed Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Casey Mears on probation for the next six races in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of their on-track incident last Saturday at the conclusion of the race at Phoenix International Raceway.

Earnhardt, driver of the No. 88 car, and Mears, driver of the No. 07 car, both violated Section 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock-car racing; hitting another competitor's car after the race had concluded) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book.

The probation takes effect beginning with this weekend's event at Talladega Superspeedway.

EURY JR SWAPPING ROLES WITH GUSTAFSON?

April 22, 2009 - The Tony Eury Jr. drama does not seem to be going away any time soon. Sources within Hendrick Motorsports confirmed to Captain Thunder that discussions were held over the Easter break regarding the possible switching of crew chiefs between the #5 and #88 teams. Mark Martin's crew chief Alan Gustafson was said to be on the block and was willing to move to the #88 team and Martin was willing to support the move.

The discussions over Easter ended with an agreement between the two teams and Mr. Hendrick to keep their current teams in tact for at least three more weeks to see if both teams could improve on the slow start they have endured through the first part of the 2009 Sprint Cup season.

Sources said Eury Jr., Dale Earnhardt Jr., Martin, and Gustafson all agreed that if Mr. Hendrick wanted a change, they would be willing to swap Gustafson for Eury Jr. However, with Martin's win Saturday night in the Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix, any switch is now out of the question for the foreseeable future.

Mr. Hendrick and Martin have no desire to take Gustafson away from the #5 team after the way they dominated the Phoenix race. Now, the timetable is set for the All-Star race at Charlotte on May 16th. If both teams continue to perform poorly, expect a change the week of the All-Star race.

However, if Martin's team continues to gain momentum following their Phoenix win, and the #88 team continues to struggle, sources said Eury Jr. could be replaced by car chiefs Ron Malec of the #48 team or Jason Burdett of the #24 team. - John 'Captain Thunder' Nevins for www.CaptainThunderRacing.com

#64 car withdraws UPDATE: no reason given, but the NASCAR Talladega Entry list now shows the #64 Gunselman Motorsports entry that Geoff Bodine was to drive at Talladega, as withdrawn.

UPDATE: After much thought, team owner Larry Gunselman has decided to withdraw the #64 Gunselman Motorsports Toyota from this weekend’s Sprint Cup Series race at Talladega Superspeedway. Because of the financial demands required to get a competitive restrictor-plate motor for Talladega, Gunselman decided to focus the team’s limited finances and instead put forth their fiscal and physical energy towards the next three races.

After this weekend, the Sprint Cup Series visits Richmond, Darlington and Lowe’s Motor Speedway. The unsponsored team already has two engines for those tracks ensuring they will enter those races; but couldn’t afford to rent a plate motor for Talladega.

“I hate, and I mean HATE, that we will not be in Talladega this weekend,” Gunselman said. “This wasn’t an easy decision by no means as we were hoping to have some kind of partnership on the car by now through our earlier efforts. I’m disappointed for myself, the team and Geoff Bodine because now he won’t get a chance to compete. Of all the go or go-homers, we are the final one in the standings that would make a race if qualifying rains out. While that’s good, it’s not good enough to take a chance on taking the team to Talladega without the proper motor. This team wants to race and put forth a full-race effort each week. This team is made of racers who want to compete. But, right now, we have to race smart with what we have and that means we can’t race this weekend.”

While the team has found limited one-race sponsorships for some races, their goal is to have a multi-race deal in place to ensure they can be competitive. “We were hoping to attract a partner for $25,000 a race so we could be run races from start-to-finish. And, we are still looking to achieve that partnership with the right company right now. That’s what we need to be more competitive. Gunselman Motorsports offers a value that many other teams can’t and our goal right now is to find those companies who want to be part of racing on affordable terms. Here we are trying to save money by not going to Talladega and the hotel is still going to charge us for the three rooms for three nights down there. When we called the Budget Inn to tell them our situation, they basically said we couldn’t get out of them. So, if anyone wants some rooms for this weekend, I know where three are available less than two miles from the track.”

Bobby Labonte gets new crew chief: Yates Racing today announced Ben Leslie, former crew chief for the #28 Yates Racing Ford, will serve as crew chief for Bobby Labonte and the #96 Hall of Fame entry for the remainder of the 2009 season. Previous crew chief Todd Parrot will assist the Yates organization as a whole.

“Ben’s experience with Ford Racing is really an asset to our organization,” said Max Jones, co-owner of Yates Racing. “The #96 team is fortunate enough to have a Champion driver and a group of experts in the sport. I believe Ben will bring the right changes to this team to help it accomplish some solid finishes this season and climb a few positions in the points.”

Prior to joining Yates Racing, Leslie served as a liaison between Ford Racing and NASCAR managing Ford’s development in all three series. Earlier in his career, Leslie worked with several notable drivers including Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch and Ricky Rudd. In 2001 Leslie led Martin to a second-place finish in the NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings, recorded 15 top-10 finishes and a win in the Coke 600.

“I’m looking forward to working with Ben,” said Labonte. “He’s done a lot with Ford Racing specifically and I like that he has experience with many Champion drivers. I’m excited to see what we will do together on the track in the next few weeks.”

Todd Parrot who aided in Labonte’s fifth-place finish in Las Vegas will remain with Yates Racing and assist with both the #96 Hall of Fame Racing entry as well as the #98 Menards Ford Fusion.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:39 am

RCR shifts crew chiefs and crews of No. 29 and No. 07

WELCOME, N.C. -- Richard Childress Racing's No. 07 crew will become the No. 29 crew, and vice versa, immediately following this weekend's race at Talladega Superspeedway.

Crew chief Gil Martin and his crew will move to the No. 29 team with driver Kevin Harvick while Todd Berrier and his crew will take over the No. 07 team with driver Casey Mears. In addition to the crew chiefs, the transition will include car chiefs, engineers, shock specialists, engine tuners, tire specialists, mechanics, transporter drivers and over-the-wall pit crews. Harvick and Mears, who will maintain their race spotters, are currently 16th and 22nd, respectively, in the Cup Series point standings after eight races.

"The decision to interchange the 29 and 07 teams was made to make both programs stronger and more successful," Richard Childress, president and CEO of Richard Childress Racing said. "Our main objective has always been to have all four of RCR's teams qualify for the Chase. Neither team has had the success this season that we know they're capable of, so we decided it was time to make a change to improve the two teams and the overall strength of RCR. We feel this change positions us to achieve that goal.

"Todd and Gil are proven winners who have strong and successful teams behind them. Chemistry is an important part of any successful organization and I felt it was time to change the makeup of these two teams. We've done this before with positive results."

Berrier was named crew chief of the No. 29 team in March 2003. He and Harvick have eight Cup victories together, including the 2007 Daytona 500 and 2003 Brickyard 400. Berrier previously led Harvick to the 2001 Nationwide Series championship, the 2000 Nationwide Series rookie of the year award and seven Nationwide victories with RCR's No. 2 team. He has been with RCR since 1994.

Martin was named crew chief of the No. 07 team in December 2005. He has four Cup Series victories with three RCR drivers, including Clint Bowyer, Harvick and Robby Gordon. Martin was the crew chief of the No. 29 team in 2002 and went on to guide Harvick to victory in that season's race at Chicagoland Speedway. He moved to the program's team manager position in March 2003 where he remained until midway through the 2004 season. Martin has been with RCR since 2000.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Labbie wrote:EURY JR SWAPPING ROLES WITH GUSTAFSON?

April 22, 2009 - The Tony Eury Jr. drama does not seem to be going away any time soon. Sources within Hendrick Motorsports confirmed to Captain Thunder that discussions were held over the Easter break regarding the possible switching of crew chiefs between the #5 and #88 teams. Mark Martin's crew chief Alan Gustafson was said to be on the block and was willing to move to the #88 team and Martin was willing to support the move.

The discussions over Easter ended with an agreement between the two teams and Mr. Hendrick to keep their current teams in tact for at least three more weeks to see if both teams could improve on the slow start they have endured through the first part of the 2009 Sprint Cup season.

Sources said Eury Jr., Dale Earnhardt Jr., Martin, and Gustafson all agreed that if Mr. Hendrick wanted a change, they would be willing to swap Gustafson for Eury Jr. However, with Martin's win Saturday night in the Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix, any switch is now out of the question for the foreseeable future.

Mr. Hendrick and Martin have no desire to take Gustafson away from the #5 team after the way they dominated the Phoenix race. Now, the timetable is set for the All-Star race at Charlotte on May 16th. If both teams continue to perform poorly, expect a change the week of the All-Star race.

However, if Martin's team continues to gain momentum following their Phoenix win, and the #88 team continues to struggle, sources said Eury Jr. could be replaced by car chiefs Ron Malec of the #48 team or Jason Burdett of the #24 team. - John 'Captain Thunder' Nevins for www.CaptainThunderRacing.com
UPDATE: Will rumors of a Hendrick Motorsports separation of Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Tony Eury Jr. ever end? Ever? Ever? Never, as long as there are upstart, cottage-industry Web-sites churning this stuff out, and others linking to it.

"There's absolutely nothing to this," came an e-mail reply from high-up inside Hendrick, when the latest one was checked.

The latest report appears on Jayski.com, picked up from CaptainThunderRacing.com, that meetings were held over the Easter break at Hendrick. Supposedly there was discussion of swapping crew chiefs, with Eury going to Mark Martin, and Alan Gustafson going to Earnhardt, if the two teams' performances didn't improve within three races.

Here's how screwy this stuff can get. Right in the middle of the CaptainThunder report, there's a line, "However, with Martin's win Saturday night in the Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix, any switch is now out of the question for the foreseeable future." Then the report goes right on to say that new deadlines have been set for a possible switch: "If both teams continue to perform poorly, expect a change the week of the All-Star race."

The wackiness warranted a double-check high-up at Hendrick, which brought the firm reply, "Not a shred of truth to any of it."

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:47 am

Get your picks in!!! Qualifying is Saturday this week (I think it's an impound race)

Yahoo locks in the wee hours SATURDAY morning and FoxSports locks at 11 am EDT Saturday. The 3M league locks around midnight Saturday night. Everything else locks around race time.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Jeff Gordon and Michael Waltrip are the guests on Trackside tonight.

Mikey and Darrell are in rare form, they are hilarious.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:10 am

David Ragan wins the NW race with an exciting last lap. Matt Kenseth takes a wild ride at the hands...er, front bumper, of Ragan too.

The Truck race is postponed until Monday morning due to rain in Kansas.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 pm

An exciting finish to the race this week, with Brad Keselowski taking his first win in Cup.

Do you think NASCAR will re-think the yellow line rule for the last lap now? Or do you think they'll wait until, as Cousin Carl so succinctly put it, "until someone gets killed"?

7 or 8 in the crowd were injured, none seriously, but a couple were airlifted (due to traffic) to local hospitals.

The first "big one" took me out of several leagues. The second "big one" didn't help me either.

In the 3M league, KM takes the week with an appropriate score of 499 (race title was the Aaron's 499). I was next with a 413 and Buga third with a 396. I've got a 95 point lead over KM overall.

In the ESPN Draft league, Magnum wins the week with a 414, Crazy was second with a 379, Bowman II third with a 330, WSR fourth with a 316, BR fifth with a 289, and Bowman I fills it out with a 138. Don't feel bad KM, that's not the lowest score received this week.

In the ESPN SCC game, Buga leads the way with a 625, I was second with a 492, and KM third with a 432. I have a 67 point lead over KM with just 2 races left in the segment.

In the ESPN Pick'em (NW) game, I beat Buga 8 - 5, and cut his overall lead to just 4. It's sure is hard making up a missed week.

On FoxSports, Both Buga and I scratched, but still managed to both move up in the league. Buga's scratch was a 194 and he is now in 9th in the league. I scratched with a...73. Yeah, that's right, a 73 (2 digits, not a typo). But I still moved up to third, mainly due to Martin getting 25 qualifying points. My drivers started 7th, 29th, 33rd, and 35th. And they finished (same driver order) 43rd, 23rd, 26th, and 36th. Woo Hoo!!!

On NASCAR.com's D&P league, BR and Magnum both had great weeks, too bad they were head to head. BR beats Magnum 586 to 559, Crazy beat Lawless 513 to 416. Dead Sled had 435 and WSR had 368 in wins over the dead teams. Overall by points it is Magnum, WSR, BR, Lawless, Crazy, and Dead Sled. By win-loss it is WSR (8-1), BR (7-2), Lawless (6-3), Magnum & Crazy (5-4) and Dead Sled (4-5).

In the NASCAR.com Streak game, it was nobody's week as we all got zero, zilch, nada, goose eggs, etc, etc, etc...

On Yahoo, I beat Buga 262 - 228, giving me a 111 point lead overall. There are two races left in the segment.

On CBS, Buga wins the week (since only the second "big one" hurt him) with a 407. I had a 274 and dropped from 12th to 320th overall. KM and Debs did not make any picks.

On the TSN Wix Filters game, I won the week with a 354 to Buga's 186. KM didn't set any picks. The "so-called" expert had a 297.

And finally, on the TSN Three for All game, Buga beat me 306 to 289 and we swapped places in the league. Buga is now 3rd and I am 4th.

Next week is Richmond, another Saturday Night Short Track.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:03 pm

Richmond Entry List

Only 44 entries (so far), I figured there would be 48 - 50.

Saturday night race this week, make sure you get your picks in earlier than usual. NW race is Friday night.

• #2-Kurt Busch is the new points leader, overtaking #24-Jeff Gordon by five points. Gordon held the top spot for the last six races. Busch, after a Talladega finish of sixth, assumes the lead for the first time since March 13, 2005.

• #5-Mark Martin’s victory parade is short lived. After his win at Phoenix, Martin moved to 13th-place. But after only his sixth 43rd-place finish in 731 starts, Martin fell 18th. He is now 92 points outside the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup cut-off.

• #39-Ryan Newman lands on the Chase bubble. Newman, who finished third at Talladega, has shrugged off a slow start that saw four consecutive finishes outside the top 20. He is now just 30 points outside the top 12. Only six races ago, Newman was 32nd in the points.

• #16-Greg Biffle and #9-Kasey Kahne are going in opposite directions. Biffle, off three consecutive top 10s, is back in the top 12. Kahne, coming off four consecutive finishes outside the top 10, got bounced from the top 12 and sits 14th.

• #47-Marcos Ambrose is the biggest mover this week, vaulting seven spots up the standings. His fourth-place finish at Talladega (which was his second career top five) moved him into the top 20.

Complete driver standings

Owner standings

"When I saw Carl [Edwards] flying up in front of me, I thought he was actually going to spin down to the bottom, but the back of the car caught air. I guess the bottom line is that I kept my foot in it. I knew I was going to bounce off the wall, and we still finished third. Unfortunately, it's another destroyed race car for Stewart-Haas Racing, but it was a solid top-five finish and a good points day for us."
-- Ryan Newman, who improved four places to 13th, 30 points out of 12th

"I circled this one on the calendar to just try and survive. I'm glad that we did that"
-- Kurt Busch, who finished sixth and took over the points lead

Race and commercial breakdown

Start time to record race/commercial periods: 2:00 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 5:45 PM

Total minutes: 225

Minutes of race broadcast: 168
Minutes of commercials: 57
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of ‘mystery cautions’: 1
Number of clips of the pre-race ‘Kentucky Grilled Chicken Dance’: 1
Number of times Chad Knaus was shown squirting water at camera: 1
Number of caution light pieces that caused a caution: 1

Digger sightings:
Animated Digger shots: 13
Still Digger shots: 25
Text Digger to 7555 mentions: 2
Get Digger theme at itunes.com mentions: 2
Total: 42

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:30 am

Charlotte writer Poole dies

Longtime NASCAR journalist David Poole died Tuesday. He was 50.

Poole was a writer for the Charlotte Observer and also hosted The Morning Drive from 7-11 a.m. ET weekdays on Sirius.

He died at his Stanfield, N.C., home of a heart attack. The Observer reported that Poole's daughter called 911. Emergency crews rushed him to the hospital in Stanly County, where he was pronounced dead.

Poole was a four-time winner of the National Motorsports Press Association's George Cunningham Award as that organization's writer of the year.

He authored several stock-car racing books, including Tim Richmond: The Fast Life and Remarkable Times of NASCAR's Top Gun; Race with Destiny; NASCAR Essential: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Real Fan! (with Jim McLaurin); and Flat Out and Half Turned Over: Tales from Pit Road with Buddy Baker.

A graduate of the University of North Carolina, Poole began his journalism career as city editor of the Gaston Gazette in 1981. He joined the Observer in 1990 and became the paper's NASCAR writer in 1997.

"The NASCAR community is stunned and saddened by the loss of David Poole," NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France said in a statement. "David was as passionate about NASCAR as anyone and had very definitive opinions about the sport. He served the industry, and most importantly the fans, through his reporting and commentary in the Charlotte Observer and Sirius Satellite Radio. Our thoughts and prayers go out to David's family and friends. He will be missed."

Poole is survived by his wife, Katy, sons Matthew and David, daughter Emily and grandson Eli.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Get your picks in, Yahoo locks in the wee hours Friday morning, FoxSports at 5:30 EDT Friday afternoon, 3M at midnight Saturday, and everything else around race time.

Don't forget that the NW race is Friday night for the ESPN Pick'em game.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 01, 2009 4:03 pm

On the first lap of the first practice, Junior spins into the wall.

Further review shows that Montoya wheel hopped going into a corner under Junior.

Don't know yet if a backup car will be needed, but Junior needs every bit a practice he can get.

[EDIT] Then when they turn the cars loose again, Biffle spins one around, but doesn't hit anything. I think the guys may have forgotten how to turn after last week. [/EDIT]

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue May 05, 2009 12:41 am

Shrubba-Dubba-Ding-Dong makes history this week, not only did he win the Late Model race Thursday, the NW race Friday, and the Cup race Saturday, but he now is only the second driver to ever win on his birthday. The other driver is Cale Yarborough, who did it twice.

Stewart-Haas Racing made a strong statement with Tony's second place and Ryan's fourth, Ryan also led over 40 laps. Looks like things are coming together there pretty quick.

On to the leagues...

On the 3M league, I won the week with a 653, with Buga right behind with 651, and KM in third with a 559.

On the ESPN Draft league, WSR won the week with a 457, Crazy was next with a 402, Magnum is third with a 358, Bowman I is fourth with a 354, BR fifth with a 349, and Bowman II rounds it out with a 310.

On the ESPN SCC game, KM takes the week with a 621 (and the overall lead by 1), Buga was second with a 560, and I was last with a 553.

On the ESPN NW Pick'em game, I beat Buga 6-4 and climbed within 2 of Buga for the overall lead.

On FoxSports, Buga beat me 411 - 373. Neither one of us scratched this week!!!

On the NASCAR.com D&P game, BR beats Crazy in a big way, 728-559; you beat yourself again Buga. Magnum beats Lawless 642-547 and WSR beats Dead Sled 529-392.

On the NASCAR.com Streak game, Crazy & Magnum each got 170, everyone else scratched.

On Yahoo, Buga beat me 312-271 and is now just 70 points out of the overall lead.

On the TSN Pick 3 game, Buga beats me 380-299. Buga remains in third, I dropped to last.

On the TSN Wix Filters game, Buga beat me 381-372, and the so-called expert beat us both. :smt017

And finally on CBS, I beat Buga 615-395. I climbed back up over 200 spots to 150th in the overall. Talladega just killed me on this one.

Next week is The Lady in Black, Darlington. Another Saturday night race.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed May 06, 2009 5:32 pm

Darlington Entry List

Things are getting tight (at least for me) on CBS and one of the TSN games. I'm running out of drivers!!! Next week on TSN I get to decide which one of Kvapil or Almirola to choose from, of course, neither one has a ride now. And on CBS this week, I'm really hoping that both Riggs and Regan Smith make the field!!!

Another Saturday Night Short Track this week, so get your picks in early. NW race is Friday night.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Junior Johnson's son wins first race: In his first race of his young career, Robert Johnson, the son of NASCAR legend Junior Johnson and wife Lisa started sixth in the Sportsman division race at Caraway Speedway in Asheboro NC and won the race by a half a car length. Johnson is sponsored by Carolina Carports and Junior Johnson's Country Ham.

I think the officials should check that car again, what with Junior's rep for cheating and all.

RPM plans to use new Dodge engine: Richard Petty Motorsports plans to switch to the new Dodge engine in time for the May 31 race at Dover, vice president of race operations Robbie Loomis said Tuesday. Loomis said only one of the organization's four drivers likely will use the R6P8 that the other Dodge organization, Penske Racing, has used all season.

A decision on which driver will use it will be made in the upcoming weeks. #9-Kasey Kahne could get the nod if the organization believes the engine will help get him back into the top 12 to qualify for the Chase. RPM's marquee driver is 17th in points after Saturday night's 29th-place finish at Richmond. If not Kahne, then #44-A.J. Allmendinger (28th), #19-Elliott Sadler (29th) or #43-Reed Sorenson (22nd) will get the engine.

"We talked about using it for the All-Star race or maybe the [Coca-Cola 600]," Loomis said of the upcoming races at Lowe's Motor Speedway. "It's just risk versus reward. We were not comfortable bringing it out in the 600."

Loomis said RPM is about a month behind the planned schedule to introduce the engine. He said the process was slowed when the organization committed to Allmendinger beyond the first five races, noting that engineers who might have spent time on the R6P8 had to build engines for an additional car. Loomis said the lack of horsepower with the old engine has been obvious, particularly at Talladega Superspeedway, where RPM's top driver qualified 35th.

Martin to run full Sprint Cup season in 2010: Mark Martin will return to drive the #5 Chevy of Hendrick Motorsports for the entire 36-race NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season in 2010. It will be the 22nd full-time Cup campaign of Martin's career and his second with car owner Rick Hendrick.

Last July, Martin signed a two-year contract with Hendrick Motorsports covering one full Sprint Cup season in 2009 and one part-time schedule of 26 events in 2010. The revised agreement was signed this week.

"Week in and week out, Mark continues to be one of the best race car drivers in the world," Hendrick said. "He's already made an incredible contribution to Hendrick Motorsports, and our entire company is excited about running another full season and winning races with him in 2010."

With his April 18 victory at Phoenix, Martin became just the fourth driver to record 400 top-10 finishes in Sprint Cup competition. It was his 36th career win in NASCAR's top series.

"It means a lot to drive the #5 Chevy for Rick and for Hendrick Motorsports," said Martin, 50, of Batesville, Ark. "I'm in the best condition of my life, I'm recharged, and I'm motivated. Going to the racetrack every weekend is still really fun, and that's the key. There's more gas in my tank."

Martin will continue to work alongside crew chief Alan Gustafson in 2010. Gustafson has led the #5 team since 2005, recording five wins and two berths in NASCAR's Chase for the Sprint Cup. The #5 team's sponsorship lineup for 2010 has not been determined.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu May 07, 2009 2:37 pm

Former NASCAR driver Kevin Grubb, 31, found dead

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Henrico County police are investigating the death of ex-NASCAR driver Kevin Grubb, who was found dead in an area motel room.

Authorities say personnel at the Alpine Motel discovered the Mechanicsville, Va., native in his room at about 11 a.m. Wednesday. Investigators did not speculate on the cause of death, but officials said there doesn't appear to be anything unusual or suspicious at the scene.

The 31-year-old was suspended from NASCAR indefinitely in 2006 because he refused to submit to a random drug test after the Busch Series race at Richmond International Raceway.

Grubb was previously suspended in March 2004 for failing a drug test. But he agreed to random testing as part of his reinstatement. Grubb's career began with NASCAR's lower-tier series in 1997.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu May 07, 2009 7:12 pm

The TSN Three for All Season 2 game is ready to sign up for. First race on this segment is Pocono on June 7th.

Calm Chaos is set up as a public league (just like season 1) and you can sign up from the TSN main Fantasy page.

http://www.sportingnews.com/games

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm

"NASCAR On Fox" Executive David Hill Wants Your Questions

Yes, the creator of Digger wants to answer your questions on a live chat tomorrow. Click the link for details.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 pm

The Least Popular Words In Motorsports

"Gentlemen, start your engines!" are the four most famous words in motorsports. I can't wait to hear those words every weekend from February to November. But what about all of the other words in motorsports? After copious hours of research, here are the least famous words in all of motorsports.

Miss Manners Gives NASCAR Advice

The last two races have included dust-ups on the cool-down lap. We've asked Miss Manners to answer a few drivers' letters regarding cool-down lap etiquette.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Kyle Petty's Charity Ride starts today in Washington state. He's heading your way this year Buga, will be in KC on the 13th to announce the new Victory Junction Gang Camp and have a groundbreaking ceremony.

You can follow the ride virtually here and on Twitter (if you partake of that vice) at @kylepetty. The DalyPlanet article is here.

NASCAR TV Listings (ET)

Friday

11AM - NASCAR Now on SPEED: John Roberts hosts with Hermie Sadler.

11:30AM - Sprint Cup Practice on SPEED: Mike Joy with Larry McReynolds and Darrell Waltrip. Matt Yocum and Dick Berggren reporting.

1P M - NASCAR Live on SPEED: John Roberts with Hermie Sadler. Bob Dillner and Randy Pemberton reporting.

1:30PM - Sprint Cup Final Practice on SPEED: Mike Joy with Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds. Krista Voda and Matt Yocum reporting.

3PM - Nationwide Series Qualifying on SPEED: Mike Joy hosts with Hermie Sadler and Phil Parsons alongside. Dick Bergrren and Krista Voda reporting.

4:30PM - NASCAR Live on SPEED: Steve Byrnes hosts with Bob Dillner and Randy Pemberton reporting.

4:30PM - NASCAR Now on ESPN2: Nicole Manske hosts with live reports from Darlington.

5PM - Sprint Cup Series Qualifying on SPEED: Mike Joy with Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds. Matt Yocum and Krista Voda handle the interviews.

7PM - Nationwide Series on ESPN2: Allen Bestwick hosts the pre-race show with Rusty Wallace and Brad Daugherty. Rusty then moves upstairs to join Dr. Jerry Punch and Andy Petree for the race. Shannon Spake, Jamie Little, Dave Burns and Vince Welch on pit road. Tim Brewer in the Tech Garage.

11PM - Trackside on SPEED: Big news! David Pearson will guest on this show along with Clint Bowyer. Steve Byrnes hosts with Jeff Hammond, Larry McReynolds and Darrell Waltrip.

Saturday

10AM - NASCAR Now on ESPN2: Nicole Manske hosts with Ricky Craven on the set. Mike Massaro and Marty Smith (new dad) report from Darlington.

3:30PM - NASCAR Performance on SPEED: Larry McReynolds hosts Chad Knaus and Doug Richert in a discussion or racing topics from a crew chief perspective.

4PM - NASCAR Smarts on SPEED: Trivia show where host John Roberts asks two SPEED employees and two NASCAR fans questions about the sport. Jeff Hammond and Hermie Sadler filling-in for Rutledge Wood and Kyle Petty this weekend.

4:30PM - NASCAR in a Hurry: Fast-paced thirty minute look at the Darlington activity using SPEED video clips. Adam Alexander hosts.

5PM - NASCAR RaceDay on SPEED: John Roberts hosts two hours of Jimmy Spencer and Kenny Wallace. Hermie Sadler and Wendy Venturini report and Rutledge Wood is also featured.

7PM - Sprint Cup Series on Fox: Chris Myers, Jeff Hammond and Darrell Waltrip lead things off from the Hollywood Hotel. Waltrip then joins Mike Joy and Larry McReynolds for the race coverage. Steve Byrnes, Matt Yocum, Krista Voda and Dick Berggren cover pit road.

Sunday

7PM - The SPEED Report on SPEED: One hour of motorsports highlights, including NASCAR.

8PM - Victory Lane on SPEED: John Roberts, Jimmy Spencer and Kenny Wallace interview the winning driver after the race. Sometimes, the show gets the winning crew chief and owner as well.

9PM - Wind Tunnel on SPEED: Dave Despain returns after a rare weekend off to review and discuss the motorsports topics of the weekend.

Additional TV notes:

F1 practice is tonight after Trackside on SPEED, F1 qualifying is Saturday morning at 8 EDT, and the F1 race from Catalunya, Spain is Sunday morning at 7:30 EDT.

And finally...

GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!!

Yahoo is already locked except for changes to the active/inactive drivers already in your team. FoxSports locks at 5 EDT this afternoon. Everything else is later, but I haven't checked the exact times, so..

GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!!

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Now you remind me. LMAO. I have been late on the yahoo for like the last 3 weeks. Atleast there is that little bit of wiggle room in there. But Im wearing those guys out now. LOL

Got a question. While watching the race last week, at the end. Was that the first time they actually showed everyone finish the race. It was split screen with the other following around the leader, i think. I was amazed at the other box. Or have they done that before and Im just dumb. LOL

Rick

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 08, 2009 6:54 pm

It may not have been the first time, but it was one of the very few times in the last couple of years that Fox has shown all the lead lap cars cross the line instead of cutting to the crew slapping each other's butts and high fiving (or showing Carl's Mom or the wife/GF of the week).

Fox used to do it this way all the time, but someone (cough, cough, David Hill :smt019 ) decided that "live" shots of the crew was better.

Idiots. :smt011

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri May 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Kenseth takes the pole, Gordon second.

Johnson crashes on the first qualifying lap, will start at the back.

He got loose coming into turn three and tried to do a McMurray all the way thru the corner, but finally hit the wall coming out of turn four.

SPEED played Trackside live today during the rain delay. David Pearson was classic Pearson. You should catch the originally scheduled airing at 11 EDT. :smt023

Also saw today that Kevin Grubb shot himself.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 09, 2009 12:25 am

Labbie wrote:"NASCAR On Fox" Executive David Hill Wants Your Questions

Yes, the creator of Digger wants to answer your questions on a live chat tomorrow. Click the link for details.
If you're interested in being dismissed as a fan, you can read the transcript here

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat May 09, 2009 3:50 am

So basically, the whole deal behind that " chat session " was for Hill to be able to tell everyone they are a bunch of idiots and none of their ideas are worth a spit in the ocean.

What a shock.
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Bill Elliott to attempt to topple NASCAR speed record: The current NASCAR top speed record sits at 212.089 and was set by Bill Elliot at Talladega Superspeedway in a 1987 Ford Thunderbird. Brent Hajek apparently figures it's about time that 22-year-old record is topped.

Next Wednesday, May 13th, Hajek will once again put Bill Elliot behind the wheel of a Ford at the famed Talladega oval in Alabama, only this time, the vehicle in question will be a Mustang FR500C modified to run on E85. This particular Mustang Cobra Jet has already managed to clock a 252 mile per hour top speed at the Salt Flats in Bonneville.

On Wednesday, May 13, Hajek Motorsports will embark on its next challenge, with technical support from Ford Racing, when they attempt to break the 22-year-old NASCAR speed record held by Bill Elliott. Elliott himself will pilot Hajek's E-85 Mustang FR500C, which has been reconfigured to NASCAR specs, at Talladega in an attempt to break his 212.089 mph qualifying lap from 1987 at the same track. FIA officials will be on site to verify the attempt and to validate the record. The Hajek Motorsports E-85 Mustang is currently at Bill Elliott's race shop in Dawsonville, Georgia, going through final preparations. Early next week, the team will scrub tires and do initial testing, in anticipation of breaking the record on Wednesday afternoon.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Penske may make bid for Saturn: [NASCAR team owner] Roger Penske says he is contemplating a bid for the Saturn automotive brand that General Motors Corp. plans to sell or shut down. While Penske has not yet made an offer, he said Friday a decision would have to come soon and that a number of unidentified details need to be worked out. Penske has a vested interest in the automotive industry.

He owns the second-largest U.S. automobile retail chain in terms of sales, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.-based Penske Automotive Group Inc. He also owns heavy-duty engine manufacturer Detroit Diesel and has race teams in the IndyCar, NASCAR and Grand-Am series. But Penske denied that he has made a deal and said published reports are ahead of the process

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 09, 2009 9:23 pm

NASCAR suspends Sprint Cup driver under terms of drug policy
By Jim Utter - jutter@charlotteobserver.com
Saturday, May. 09, 2009

NASCAR has suspended a Sprint Cup driver under terms of its substance abuse policy - immediately and indefinitely - in advance of Saturday night’s race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway, ThatsRacin.com and The Charlotte Observer have learned.

Sources said the driver, who has not been identified by officials, was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book. The determination was based on findings at last weekend’s race at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway.

NASCAR on Saturday declined to discuss the matter, saying that questions would be dealt with in a news conference at the South Carolina track on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Such a suspension would be the first under NASCAR’s drug policies for a driver at the top level, the Sprint Cup Series.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Hey Jeremyyyyy....want a toke?

Jeremy Mayfield has been suspended indefinitely.

Guess that's the end of the #41 for this year.

Return to “Team Activities”