NASCAR 2009

Anything related to activities for the team.
Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:48 pm

All-Star race changes

The 25th running of the Sprint All-Star Challenge will feature a new format -- again. Lowe's Motor Speedway officials plan to unveil modifications for the May 17th event that will again pay $1 million to the winner. It might be time to consider the value of keeping the usually crash-filled event on the calendar and use the weekend for a regular points race, rather than the exhibition contest that has undergone more facelifts than Joan Rivers.

Saturday night special on tap

While the all-star race has lost its luster with many fans, one race getting a lot of attention is this Saturday's NASCAR legends event at Bristol Motor Speedway. "The Saturday Night Special" will take place immediately following the Nationwide Series race at the half-mile track and features a lineup including Junior Johnson, Harry Gant, David Green, Jack Ingram, Terry Labonte, Sterling Marlin, L.D. Ottinger, Phil Parsons, David Pearson, Jimmy Spencer and Rusty Wallace racing full-bodied late-model stock cars. The race will be televised live by ESPN2 at 6 p.m. ET and track officials claim ticket sales have been phenomenal. Could we witness the birth of a NASCAR Senior Tour?

Junior Johnson and David Pearson on the track together again? There's sure to be fireworks!!!!
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:40 am

More on the Old Timers Race Saturday night.

Legends preparing to strap in

Pearson can't race because of a back injury so his son Larry will take his place. Larry was a journeyman driver though the 80s and into the 90s.

And the Jarretts will do the announcing for the race. That's Ned and Dale.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:33 am

Labbie wrote:Saturday night special on tap

While the all-star race has lost its luster with many fans, one race getting a lot of attention is this Saturday's NASCAR legends event at Bristol Motor Speedway. "The Saturday Night Special" will take place immediately following the Nationwide Series race at the half-mile track and features a lineup including Junior Johnson, Harry Gant, David Green, Jack Ingram, Terry Labonte, Sterling Marlin, L.D. Ottinger, Phil Parsons, David Pearson, Jimmy Spencer and Rusty Wallace racing full-bodied late-model stock cars. The race will be televised live by ESPN2 at 6 p.m. ET and track officials claim ticket sales have been phenomenal. Could we witness the birth of a NASCAR Senior Tour?

Junior Johnson and David Pearson on the track together again? There's sure to be fireworks!!!!
That would actually be kinda cool.

But would their wives actually let them do it??? lol
Looking for the Calm amid all this Chaos[/b]
Air Cold, the blade stops;
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:10 am

Knightmare wrote:
Labbie wrote:Saturday night special on tap

That would actually be kinda cool.

But would their wives actually let them do it??? lol
Whadda you mean? They are DOING it!!!

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:28 am

I am referring to a full blown circuit.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:10 am

Knightmare wrote:I am referring to a full blown circuit.
Well. you weren't very specific. :smt019

And more on the Old Timers...
Legends test at Bristol: One look at Junior Johnson strapped into his #11 race car with old-fashioned goggles wrapped around his helmet, and it was like taking a step back in time. Johnson was one of several former Bristol Motor Speedway winners testing Tuesday at the .533-mile oval in preparation for this weekend's Scotts Saturday Night Special. Also taking to the track was Harry Gant, Jimmy Spencer, Jack Ingram, Rusty Wallace, L.D. Ottinger, and Phil Parsons.

The last time Johnson, who won the 1965 Southeastern 500 at BMS, raced at BMS the track was asphalt – and it was much different. “When it was first built, you run off in the first and second turn like you went down a hill,” said the 77-year-old Johnson. “Now, it is so much smoother. I haven’t been on it since the last time they redid it, but I can tell it is a lot smoother. The pavement was kind of humpy and bumpy, so it’s got to be better (than it was).

Jack Ingram, who earned 31 victories and two championships in what was then the Busch Series, now the Nationwide Series, won the second race in that series ever held at BMS, in 1982. Now 72, Ingram didn’t seem intimidated by anyone on the track.

Harry Gant, 69, winner of 18 Sprint Cup victories and 21 in the Nationwide Series, was the 1992 Budweiser 250 winner at BMS.

Other drivers expected to compete in the Saturday Night Special are David Green, Terry Labonte, Sterling Marlin, Phil Parsons and Larry Pearson. Former BMS winner Larry Pearson will be subbing for his father, David, who was scheduled to be in the race.

Track officials learned earlier this week that reoccurring issues with the elder Pearson’s back will prevent him from taking part in the event.

Among the celebrities testing Wednesday will be Ray Everham, Andy Petree, Brad Daugherty, and former NFL star Brad Compton. Other competing in the race are Frank Beamer, Terry Bowden, David Akers, Bill Jordan, Riki Rachtman, Doug Herbert, Ron Capps and Greg Anderson. The celebrities will run 15-lap or 10-minute heats to help determine the starting spots of their pro driver teammates, who then will run 35 laps. The Saturday Night Special will take place after the completion of the Scotts Turf Builder 300 Nationwide Series race and will be followed by a 100-lap UARA late model event.(BMS PR)

AND: GDSI Racing with driver Sterling Marlin are preparing for Bristol Motor Speedway on March 21st. Marlin will compete in a 50 lap late model celebrity race where celebrities will be paired up with drivers. Andy Petree will drive the first 15 laps and Sterling Marlin will drive the final 35 laps in the Legend brands Chevy Monte Carlo.

The winning team will win $25,000 for the charity and Sterling Marlin and GDSI Racing have selected The Epilepsy Foundation of Middle and West TN, second place will receive $10,000 and the rest of the starters will receive $5,000. The race is slated as the first “Saturday Night Special”.

Don't forget to make your picks!!!!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Get your picks in (Buga), Yahoo locks in the wee hours Friday, FoxSports locks at 3:30 PM EDT.

Everything is on SPEED tomorrow, starting with practice at noon EDT and finishing up with Trackside at 7 EDT. Oh yeah, NASCAR Now is on ESPN 2 at 6 EDT too.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Am I the only one that missed this little item in the rules for the new game at CBS?
You will only be allowed to select a driver twice during each Segment.
I wondered why the drivers I wanted to pick weren't in my lists. [smilie=drogar-blackeye(dbg).gif]

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Daugherty Plans Tribute To NASCAR Pioneer, Wendell Scott

By Allen Gregory
Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier
Published: March 19, 2009

BRISTOL, Tenn. – Many NASCAR fans will realize a dream at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend when a cast of legendary drivers returns for the Saturday Night Special.
For Brad Daugherty, the 15-lap celebrity event before the legends race will have special meaning.

The former National Basketball Association star and current ESPN analyst will pay tribute to the first African-American driver to compete full-time in NASCAR’s premier series. Daugherty’s Late Model car will feature the No. 34, the former number of Wendell Scott.

“Wendell is one of my heroes, and I wanted to honor him,” Daugherty said.

A life-long race fan who grew up in rural North Carolina, Daugherty said he wishes more fans had a deeper appreciation for the contributions of Scott.

“I don’t think people appreciate the tenacity that the guy had,’’ Daugherty said. “Wendell was treated almost sub-human at times, but he persevered and did what he wanted to do no matter the obstacle.”

Relying on friends and family for his crew, Scott finished among the top 10 in championship points four consecutive seasons. Scott also won a Cup race in 1963 at Speedway Park in Jacksonville, Fla.
Before Tuesday’s practice session at Bristol Motor Speedway, Daugherty gained insight on Scott’s legacy from former driver and car owner, Junior Johnson.

“Junior was telling me that Wendell would have been a great race driver, but he never had good equipment,’’ Daugherty said.

Johnson, who will team with Daugherty in Saturday’s event, also shared the story of how he once prepared a car for Scott, a native of Danville, Va.

“Junior said he couldn’t quite put everything into Wendell’s car because [Johnson] he had his own stuff to look after,’’ Daugherty said.

Daugherty, who became more interested in the Scott saga said after reading the controversial 2008 book, “Hard Driving,” said he believes a more open discussion on diversity could be healthy in a sport that has long lacked diversity.

“It’s reality,” Daugherty said. “The problem we’ve got in our society is that we can’t talk about race and we can’t talk about how people were treated, especially minorities.
“When you do talk about it , you get in trouble. That’s wrong. We need to talk about these topics. We need to realize that Wendell went through. You just can’t sweep it under the rug all the time.”

As for NASCAR’s Drive For Diversity program, Daugherty feels a more broad-based effort is needed to attract a minority a driver.

“NASCAR has put forth a yeomen’s effort in trying to support in diversity program over the past decade, but in my opinion there are some things that need to be differently that would be more effective,” Daugherty said.
“I’m not throwing sticks and stones at NASCAR. I just think there are some things that could be done that would create more vast pool of candidates.

Daugherty, co-owner of the JTG-Daugherty Racing team in the Sprint Cup Series, was encouraged with the news that 18-year-old African-American driver Marc Davis hopes to make his Bristol Motor Speedway debut in Saturday’s Nationwide Series race at BMS.
Davis has a family-owned team led by his father, Harry.

“[Bristol] is a tough place to make a debut or race for anybody, but he and Harry are working hard and they have a good partnership with an historically black college,” Daugherty said, referring to Howard University.
“It’s very difficult to race at this level out of your own pocket, but I think I think Marc has the ability to participate at the Cup level someday if he’s given the opportunity.”

No matter the skin color, driving opportunities have become scarce for driver this season.

“I’m a car owner and I would love to have opportunity to help guys like Marc,” Daugherty said. “It’s just tough right now. I proud of how Marc is fighting, clawing, and trying his darndest to survive in this business.”

Daugherty said he hope fans will pay more attention to the role Scott had as a NASCAR pioneer.

“Wendell was a racer, and he’s a true champion,” said Daugherty, who hopes to meet members of the Scott family.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:23 am

Don't forget that the 12 Hours of Sebring starts Saturday at 10 EDT on SPEED.

There are a couple of hours of NASCAR practice in the middle of the day, but SPEED is covering virtually the entire 12 hours.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:12 am

Labbie wrote:Don't forget that the 12 Hours of Sebring starts Saturday at 10 EDT on SPEED.

There are a couple of hours of NASCAR practice in the middle of the day, but SPEED is covering virtually the entire 12 hours.
Sweet. I'll have something to watch tomorrow after I get home from playing the first round of golf of the season.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 am

The Shrub wins Bristol, and amazingly enough, the first track he has won twice on. He now has 14 wins, one short of Jeffie's record of 15 wins under the age of 25. The Shrub has more than a year to go before he reaches 25, so the question IMO is not "will he break it?", but "how bad will he break it"?

The Busch brothers now have 3 wins in a row, for the second time in their careers. Martinsville is not a good track for Kurt, but can Kyle do it again?

Michael Waltrip Racing had a good showing at Bristol, with Ambrose getting his first non-road course top 10, and Reut finishing 12th. And Montoya finished 9th. And Allmendinger was 16th. What is it with Bristol and these road course guys? Gonna have to try and remmeber that for the night race this summer. More on Ambose.

=====================================

In the 3M league, KM wins the week with a 764, I was next with a 682, and Buga third with a 631. Overall standings I lead with 3423 (and 65th overall), KM next with a 3250, and Buga third with a 2231.

In the ESPN Draft league, WSR wins the week with a 422, Bowman II is second with a 375, BR third with a 346, Magnum tied with Crazy for fourth with an even 300, and Bowman I rounds out the field with a 285. Magnum leads the overall standings with 2002, BR is next with 1870, close behind is Bowman I with 1853, WSR takes over fourth with 1817, Bowman II is fifth with 1783, and Crazy brings up the rear with a 1340.

In the ESPN SCC game, KM wins the week with a 699, I was second with a 628, and Buga third with a 553. Overall standings are me in first with 3110, KM second with 2961, and Buga third with 2842.

In the ESPN Pick'em game, Buga beat me 4 - 3 and still has the overall lead by 8. Buga is in the 92nd percentile in this game, I'm way down about the 63rd percentile.

On FoxSports, Buga beat me for the week with a 336 to my 320. but we both scratched for the week anyway. In the overall I am now in 9th, not quite 100 points ahead of Buga in 11th.

On Yahoo, I beat Buga with a 266 to his 161. Really bad week for Buga as I retook the overall lead by 95 points.

On CBS, I won the week with a 625, Debs is seond with a 538, KM third with a 496, and Buga fourth with a 395. Same order to the overall standings, me with 3180, Debs has 2866, KM has 2318, and Buga has 1942. I am in 34th place amongst all players.

On the TSN 3 For All game, I won the week with a 385 and am fourth in the league. Buga was fifth for the week with a 278 and is fifth overall. Not sure when they are going to drop the two lowest scores, but they haven't yet.

On the TSN Wix filters game, KM wins the week with a 430 (great score!), I was second with a 357 and Buga rounds out the field with a 246. I lead the overall with a 1806 to KM's 1325, to Buga's 941.

And on NASCAR.com D&P, Buga finally scores a win with BR and a 654, WSR is second with a 600, Crazy is next with a 567, Lawless is fourth with a 483 (all H2H winners), Magnum was fifith with a 405, and Dead Sled rounds it out with a 342. WSR leads in both categories at 5-0 and 2867 points. Lawless is 4-1 but just third in points with 2691, BR is second in points with 2772 but tied for third in the win/loss at 3-2 with Crazy, who is fifth by points with 2376. Magnum is fourth in points with 2679, but tied for fifth by win/loss at 2-3 with Dead Sled, who is sixth in points with 2178. BR and Lawless beat the dead teams, WSR beat Magnum, and Crazy beat Dead Sled.

And finally, in the Streak game, BR and WSR tied for the win with 195 points, everyone else had zero, zilch, nada, for the week. Overall it is BR with 698, WSR with 677, Magnum with 294, Crazy with 175, and Lawless with 151.

=========================

The season is supposedly over for Travis Kvapil and the #28 team. No sponsors, no more racing. they might have given it a couple of more races if they had been in the top 35, but they are 39th.

But, Allmendinger gets four more races added to his partial schedule, he should be racing thru May at the earliest, and is still supposed to run Daytona in July. He has raced his way into the last 10 races (including last season) and is currently 16th in the driver and owner standings. More on the standings tomorrow or Wednesday, but those big names that were in trouble drove themselves out of it at Bristol.

And, Gilliland and the #71 team made the top 35, even after MISSING Daytona. They've done it in 4 races to many others 5. Maybe Gilliland can really drive.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:30 am

And finally, in the Streak game, BR and WSR tied for the win with 195 points, everyone else had zero, zilch, nada, for the week.
Huh. Go figure. The team that I have in the Streak game that had Kyle Busch isn't one of the teams in the league.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:40 am

Knightmare wrote:
And finally, in the Streak game, BR and WSR tied for the win with 195 points, everyone else had zero, zilch, nada, for the week.
Huh. Go figure. The team that I have in the Streak game that had Kyle Busch isn't one of the teams in the league.
I guess you can figure out which driver both BR and WSR had then, huh?

And you can pick him for next week, but Johnson pretty much owns Martinsville.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:30 am

Labbie wrote:
Knightmare wrote:

Yeah. I don't know if I have Johnson available on the team that's actually in the league.
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 am

Knightmare wrote:
Labbie wrote:
Knightmare wrote:

Yeah. I don't know if I have Johnson available on the team that's actually in the league.
It will tell you if you've used him already.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 pm

Martinsville Entry List

48 entered for 43 spots, those in red must qualify on time. And those have changed this week. (The Dinger is IN!!!)

Johnson has won 4 of the last 5 and 5 total. J.Gordon has won 7 total and 4 of the last 12. Hamlin won the spring race last year.

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/feature ... index.html

Other news and notes:
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Defends Embattled Crew Chief UPDATE: #88-Dale Earnhardt, Jr. has become accustomed to the topic. It’s been one of the primary debates in NASCAR for several years, but the heat has increased this season. Is the often-volatile working relationship between Earnhardt, Jr. and his cousin, Tony Eury, Jr. conducive to winning races? Eury serves as the crew chief on Earnhardt’s #88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevy. The two often engage in animated discussions – even arguments – over the scanner during races. Entering Sunday’s Food City 500, Earnhardt ranks 24th in Sprint Cup points with just one top-10 finish. Many of Earnhardt’s loyal fans blame Eury. Earnhardt addressed his struggles as well as his relationship with his cousin during a wide-ranging press conference Friday at Bristol Motor Speedway. “I have said it a hundred times – and it just doesn’t seem to make a dent – but the guy that I feel bad for is Tony, Jr. because he gets criticized so badly,” Earnhardt said. “Everybody in this room – and some of you have criticized him yourselves – know how smart a guy he is. He is a good mechanic and a solid crew chief.” Clearly, Earnhardt has become frustrated with the attacks on his cousin by fans and media types. “[Eury, Jr.] just wanted to do this for a living, just like I do, but I’ll take the fall,” Earnhardt said. “I would rather be crucified than him. Every time I read in the paper that people are on his case, I feel like I am sending my brother to jail for a crime I committed, you know what I mean. I feel bad for him because he just wants to work and have fun.” As for the free-flowing chats with his crew chief, Earnhardt said it comes with the territory in a hyper-competitive and emotional sport. “There are riffs between every driver and every crew chief, and they work it out or they don’t,” Earnhardt said. “I think me and Tony, Jr. do a pretty good job of working it out. Obviously, through everything we have been through, we still love each other to death and would do anything for each other.”

UPDATE: Car owner Rick Hendrick says he is fully committed to Dale Earnhardt Jr. and embattled crew chief Tony Eury Jr. The team has been under fire for its slow start this season. Earnhardt last week asked for relief from the constant criticism Eury has faced from fans and media. Hendrick says the driver and crew chief were part of a three-hour meeting Wednesday to figure out what's wrong with the #88 team. He says the team is under great pressure, but everyone is committed to turning this season around. After five races, Earnhardt has just one top-10 finish and is 19th in the standings.
Record for brotherly wins in a row UPDATE - correction: What brothers currently hold the record for most consecutive wins by brother combinations? It's been done four [not three] times by three [not two] different families. Tim, Bob and Fonty flock won four in a row in 1952, as did Herb and Donald Thomas. The Flock brothers, minus Bob, also won four straight in 1955. The Buschs [Kurt & Kyle] could do it again more than 50 years later.
UPDATE: actually, the Busch brothers did do this, last season when Kyle won at Infineon, Daytona and Chicago and Kurt won at New Hampshire.
Driver changes coming at Rick Ware Racing:
UPDATE: Rick Ware Racing announces an addition to their Nationwide Series program, drivers Kerry Earnhardt and Jeffrey Earnhardt.
-Kerry Earnhardt will drive in several races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series for Rick Ware Racing
-Jeffrey Earnhardt will race in 7 races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series for Rick Ware Racing
-Jeffrey Earnhardt will save his Rookie status for the 2010 season in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, as he will compete for Raybestos Rookie of the Year.
-Kerry and Jeffrey Earnhardt will be paired with Championship Crew Chief, Paul Andrews and Clyde McCloud
-Kerry will make his first of several RWR starts at Texas Motor Speedway on April 4th, 2009
-Jeffrey will make his RWR debut at Dover International Speedway on May 30th, 2009
-Jeffrey's schedule will be a progressive enhancement, consisting of races from 1-mile to 2-mile tracks to prepare him for the 2010 NASCAR Nationwide Series season.
-Jeffrey Earnhardt will compete in the Montreal Nationwide Series event, marking the first Earnhardt to race in Canada in one of the Top three NASCAR Series'.
-Kerry and Jeffrey will join Dale Earnhardt Jr as entries in the NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Atlanta, marking the second time that three Earnhardts' participated in the same event.
And if you don't know, Jeffrey is Kerry's son and Dale Sr's grandson. If things work out, he'll be going for the 2010 NW Rookie of The Year award against Austin Dillon, Richard Childress' grandson. And if Jeffrey makes it to Cup, he'll be the second fourth generation Cup driver. Adam Petty was the first. :smt023

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Get your picks in, Yahoo locks in the wee hours Friday, FoxSports locks at 3:30 EDT Friday afternoon.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 pm

For Sterling Marlin — the daughter also rises

Could she become NASCAR’s Danica Patrick?

Sutherlin Marlin, the 19-year-old daughter of Sterling Marlin, this season launches her racing career at Fairgrounds Speedway, the historic track where her grandfather Coo Coo won four championships in the 1960s and her dad collected three more in the 1980s.

“I attended my first race there when I was two weeks old,” says Sutherlin. “I’ve been around racing all my life and I can’t wait to give it a try.”

A student at Columbia State, Sutherlin is bright and vivacious, and inherited her family’s keen sense of humor.

In other words, she’s an absolute media delight.

Now, if she can just drive …

“She’s got talent,” says her dad. “When she was 5 or 6 we went to a go-kart track in Panama City and she raced against (big brother) Steadman and a bunch of other boys and beat them. She’s been on to me to get her a race car and finally we cut a deal.”

The deal: Sutherlin goes to college and works on her race car.

“I’ll help,” Sterling says, “but she’s gotta work, too.”

In addition to being a college co-ed and racing mechanic, Sutherlin — whose pop’s race winnings stand at around $40 million — also works part-time as hostess at Sperry’s, a local restaurant.

“My dad worked hard when he was getting started and he expects me to do the same,” Sutherlin says.

Sutherlin, who was 4 when her father won the first of his two Daytona 500s, grew up on the NASCAR circuit amid racing celebrities. One of her infield playmates was Taylor Earnhardt, youngest daughter of Dale Earnhardt.

She is conscious of the family legacy: Coo Coo was Tennessee’s first nationally renowned NASCAR driver, and her father is one of the sport’s most popular figures.

“Once at a track a woman came over to show us her twins,” Sutherlin recalls. “One was named ‘Sterling’ and the other was named ‘Marlin.’”

She adds with a chuckle: “My dad sure has some loyal fans.”

Sterling, who is running a limited Sprint Cup schedule this year, is sometimes referred to as “the last of the Good Ol’ Boys.” Sutherlin is proud of her countrified roots.

“When we park our motor home in the infield some of the other families call us the Clampets,” she says, again with a chuckle. “One afternoon mama (Paula) was cooking baloney on the grill and I was shucking corn. Dale Jr. walked by, stopped, grinned and said, ‘I don’t believe it!’”

Sutherlin plans to race in the Speedway’s truck series, a white-knuckle division that runs the swift, high banks of the five-eighths-mile track. It would seem breathless for a beginner.

“I told her if she’s going to race, then race with the big boys,” Sterling said. “We’ll find out pretty fast if she’s got it or not.”

“I’ll be cautious, especially at first,” says Sutherlin, “but I won’t be intimidated.”

Intimidated by a race track? Of course not. She’s a Marlin.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Cup quaifying cancelled due to rain, line 'em up by points.

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2009/6/data/lineup.html

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 am

Johnson makes it 5 of the last 6 with a closing laps battle with Hamlin. JJ actually got a little rough (for him) towards the end and booted Hamlin out of the way.

Harvick wins the rain-delayed Truck race today, in a Truck owned by his wife Delana.

In the 3M league, KM wins the week with a 711, Buga is next with a 670, and I was last with a 640.

On the ESPN Draft game, Buga has a huge week with BR leading the way with a 449, Crazy is second with a 438, Bowman I is next with a 429, Magnum is fourth with a 391, WSR is fifth with a 350, and Bowman II brings up the rear with a 347.

On the ESPN SCC game, KM leads the way again with a 749, I was second with a 723, and Buga had a 625.

On FoxSports, I led the league for the week with a 617 (damn you Kyle, I coulda had so much better!) and moved all the way up to second. Buga scratched with a 311 and dropped to 14th in the league.

On the NASCAR.com D&P game, WSR leads the way for the week with a 634, beating Crazy, who had a 633 (sorry Buga, at least you got good points :smt023 ), BR beat Dead Sled 594 to 376, Lawless had 587 in a win over one of the dead teams, and Magnum had a 532 over the second dead team.

On the NASCAR.com Streak game, Magnum, Crazy, and Lawless tied for the weekly win with 190 (all picked Johnson), while BR and WSR were a scant 5 points behind. We all have a streak going, don't screw it up!! :smt019

On Yahoo, Buga takes back 34 points that he lost last week to beat me 334 to 300. but it wasn't enough to retake the overall lead, Buga is 61 points back.

On CBS, I won the week with a 698, KM was next with a 627, Buga third with a 582, and Debs apparently forgot to make picks, since she had a zero. That means everyone but me has missed at least one race this year. And I moved up to 21st in the overall standings, one more position and I make the big board!!!

On the TSN 3 for All game, Buga had a big week with a 417 and moved up to third, while I had a miserable 284 and dropped to fifth. The two lowest scores have now been removed.

And finally, on the TSN Wix Filters Pick 3 game, KM wins the week with another impressive score of 457, Buga was second with a 404, and I was right on his heels with a 395. I actually tied the "so-called" expert this week. The two lowest scores have been dropped here too, KM's good scores over the last couple of weeks has moved him closer, but I still hold a 20 point lead overall.

Next week is Texas, one of the fastest tracks on the circuit. Look for the Roushkateers to make a comeback here.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 am

And finally, on the TSN Wix Filters Pick 3 game, KM wins the week with another impressive score of 457, Buga was second with a 404, and I was right on his heels with a 395. I actually tied the "so-called" expert this week. The two lowest scores have been dropped here too, KM's good scores over the last couple of weeks has moved him closer, but I still hold a 20 point lead overall.
Well..I got close. I'll prolly have my scores go to hell in a handbasket now...lmao

I would have done better on the 3M game, but I think I dropped Earnhardt Jr this week in favor of Edwards.

Silly me.

On the CBS game ( I think ) I dropped Brian Vickers in favor of Marcos Ambrose and that worked out pretty well for me.

I am actually trying to pay a little more attention this season...lmao
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Paying attention? That'll kill your scores for sure, just look at mine!! :smt023

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but here is the Texas Entry List.

Awesome Bill is back this week and is the only PC, so he is in. Stewart is in the Top 35 so his PCP is not needed anymore.

Owner's Standings, no major changes except Menard is in this week and Gilliland is out. JoLo survives another week with a guaranteed spot.

And...

GET YOUR PICKS IN!!!!

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Reut's on the pole for the second time in his Cup career, Jeffie Poo is on the outside. Kenseth is third, and I hope you realize that when he qualifies up front, he always runs good. :smt038

Race Lineup

Nemechek, Mayfield, Riggs, Speed, and Bodine all go home, so don't pick them. :smt023

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:08 pm

WOOHOO!!!! Gordon ( Jeff that is ) gets his first win in a year and a half!!!

3 Hendrick drivers in the top 6!!! Looks like I might have a pretty good week in the games. :smt003
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:56 am

Oops, I forgot to make my picks again! :smt021
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
E6750 (2 * 2.67GHz o/c to 3.52GHz)
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 am

Yep, you got a goose egg again.

I came in second this week there, no one can touch Buga there this week.

I think I should have done well enough to crack the top 20 overall, but we'll just have to wait and see how the 20 people in front of me did. :smt003

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:57 pm

YEE HAW!!!! Jeffie Poo finally wins again...and in Texas no less, now there's only one track on the circuit that he has never won at. Time to get some new tracks. :smt023 (bonus points if you know which one) (not really)

Don't know where KM got the idea that he did well this week, he only won one game outright.

We'll start this week with KM's win (so he can feel good about himself).

On ESPN's SCC, KM wins the week with a 711, Buga is second with a 650 and I was third with a 594. KM moves to within 6 points of the league lead, Buga is about 100 points back.

On ESPN's Draft game, BR wins the week with a 500 and moves into the league lead, Magnum is second with 414, Crazy is third with a 381, Bowman I is fourth with a 326, Bowman II is fifth with a 323, and WSR is sixth with a dismal 215. League order is BR (by just 12), Magnum, Bowman I, Bowman II, WSR, and Crazy.

On the ESPN Pick'em game, Buga and I tied with 5 each. Buga still retains the lead overall.

On the NASCAR.com D&P game, Magnum leads the way with a 677 over a dead team, BR hits a 559 over WSR's 520, Lawless beats Dead Sled 549 to 433, and Crazy scores a 461 over the other dead team. WSR and Lawless are now tied at 6-1, BR is 5-2, Magnum and Crazy are 4-3, and Dead Sled brings up the rear at 2-5. By points the order is WSR, BR, Magnum, Lawless, Crazy and Dead Sled.

On the NASCAR.com Streak game, WSR wins the week with a 210, Crazy is second with a 190, BR is third with a 189, Magnum and Lawless got zero. Overall BR and WSR are tied at 1052, Crazy is third with 555, Magnum is fourth with 484, and Lawless brings up the rear with a 341.

On the TSN 3 for All game, I had a 374 to Buga's 318. We're at the bottom of the league, I'm fourth and Buga is fifth. :smt011

On the TSN Wix Filters game, I led the way with a 413, KM was second with a 334, and Buga was third with a 325. Same order to the overall, M is 99 points out of the lead. Oh, and we all beat the so-called expert. :smt023

On Yahoo, Buga beats me by a single point, 261 to 260, but is still 60 points out of the overall lead.

On the 3M game, I won the week with a 776, KM was second with a 731, and Buga third with a 673. Same order to the overall.

On FoxSports, Buga wins the week with a 392 to my (scratch) 271. I dropped from second to fourth in the league and Buga remains in 14th.

And finally, on CBS, Buga wins the week with a 719, I was second with a 658, KM third with a 568, and Debs brings home nothing. Zero, zilch, nada. Gotta pay more attention Debs. :smt023 Overall, I have a 1000+ lead over KM, Buga is almost 300 back from KM, and Debs is about 400 back from Buga. And on a personal note, I AM 8TH OVERALL!!!

No Cup race this week (Easter Break), although there is a NW race in Nashville Saturday.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:49 am

RPM should lock up Allmendinger
by Lee Spencer

FORT WORTH - Richard Petty Motorsports is close to extending AJ Allmendinger's schedule beyond the Coca-Cola 600 on May 24.

Considering Allmendinger, 27, is currently 15th in the standings, 34 points out of the Chase Zone, it's time for RPM to lock him down.

"If you had told me last year that I'd be 15th in points right now, I would have laughed at you," Allmendinger said. "But we're in striking distance of the top 12."

Allmendinger wasn't even entered in the Samsung 500 at Texas last year. Veteran Mike Skinner filled the seat as Red Bull Racing tried to figure out why the No. 84 team had missed the first three races of the season. Inevitably, the focus turned to crew chief Ricky Viers, who was replaced by Jimmy Elledge before the Chicagoland race last July.

Despite the team producing its first top 10 of the season two weeks later at the Brickyard, Allmendinger parted ways with Red Bull after the race at Kansas in September when it became apparent Scott Speed had been selected as Red Bull's second driver.

In an effort to shore up a ride for 2009, Allmendinger signed on with Gillett Evernham Motorsports for the final five races of the season. The newcomer outraced his veteran teammates, Kasey Kahne and Elliott Sadler, in the first two events and bested the No. 19 team in all five races. And in this year's season-opening Daytona 500, Allmendinger was the top Dodge under the new Richard Petty Motorsports banner, finishing third.

"We had a great Daytona and pretty good season," Allmendinger said. "We'd like to be stronger — particularly on the mile-and-a-half tracks — but that's not just the 44 car, that's all four teams."

With Allmendinger so close to the top 12 in points, RPM needs to decide whether it is committed to moving forward with the driver and the team before another organization snatches him up. According to multiple sources, Joe Gibbs Racing has already inquired about the driver's status as they consider starting up a fourth team.

But Allmendinger's first priority is to make things work with his current deal.

While RPM is currently securing additional sponsorship, potentially with Hunt Brothers Pizza, nothing will guarantee Allmendinger and the No. 44 Dodge's success faster than a revamped pit crew. Allmendinger inevitably loses positions every time he enters pit road.

RPM has an Aug. 15 deadline to pick up Allmendinger's option for 2010. Given that Allmendinger has proved that he's the second-best driver at RPM and has served as a catalyst to invigorate Kahne and the company's flagship No. 9 squad, it would be foolish to let him get away.

Like I said towards the end of last season RPM (then GEM) had to really be re-thinking the Reed Sorenson deal.

Knightmare
Keeper of the Calm

Post by Knightmare » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:31 am

Labbie wrote:YEE HAW!!!! Jeffie Poo finally wins again...and in Texas no less, now there's only one track on the circuit that he has never won at. Time to get some new tracks. :smt023 (bonus points if you know which one) (not really)

Don't know where KM got the idea that he did well this week, he only won one game outright.

We'll start this week with KM's win (so he can feel good about himself).

On ESPN's SCC, KM wins the week with a 711, Buga is second with a 650 and I was third with a 594. KM moves to within 6 points of the league lead, Buga is about 100 points back.
I may not have one more than one game, but my points totals were pretty good on a couple of them. That's where I was speaking of doing well. :smt019
from silent stone,
Death is preordained

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:47 pm

For those interested (and I'm sure DA will have some sort of Kool-Aid remark here), King Richard will be on Hannity tonight on Fox News.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Phoenix Entry List

48 going for 43 spots. Those in red must qualify on time.

===============================================

I beat Buga 5 - 4 in the ESPN Pick'em NW game.

From Jayski:
$10 Million, Just for Motor Oil: The most advanced piece of technology in a NASCAR vehicle these days isn't its engine, its suspension or anything made of carbon fiber. It's the motor oil. Joe Gibbs Racing has spent about $1 million a year over the past decade to perfect its motor oil. As a result, its engines have squeezed out an extra 10 horsepower, a roughly 2% increase that can be a serious advantage in NASCAR races.With NASCAR increasingly cracking down on the use of technology in the sport to cut costs, motor oil is one of the last places teams can innovate without restraint. Companies like Shell, Quaker State and Mobil also make special oils packed with synthetic lubricants, new polymers and experimental molecules for the teams they sponsor. All this has spawned a culture of secrecy. Shell was so worried about protecting its motor-oil formula that it recently refused to allow used race oil to be sold as a souvenir to NASCAR fans. The concern, a spokesman said, is that someone could "reverse engineer" the used oil to see what its properties are. Joe Gibbs Racing, one of NASCAR's richest and most-successful teams, won't say which company assembles its synthetic oil and will only identify the scientists who work on its formula as "William the chemist," who's in charge of formulating the oil, and "Douglas," who used to work for NASA and is in charge of analyzing the team's worn engine parts under a microscope. "I don't want other teams trying to find out who these guys are," says Lake Speed Jr., who runs the team's oil program.
Rusty Wallace, Inc. considering 2010 move to Cup: NASCAR Nationwide Series car owner [#62 & #64] Rusty Wallace said he hopes to move his two-car team to the Sprint Cup Series in 2010. But the situation would have to be perfect. Rusty Wallace Racing fields two Chevys, for Brendan Gaughan and Rusty’s son, Steve, in the Nationwide Series. “Ideally, if all the moons lined up, I’d start in 2010,” Wallace said at Nashville Superspeedway, where the Nashville 300 will be held Saturday. “Two cars. I’d want Stephen and Brendan to go right in.” But Rusty Wallace would need a partnership with an existing team in order to stock enough inventory of cars and engines. Also, RWR would need the right level of sponsorship. Richard Childress Racing provided RWR with engines in the Nationwide Series, and Wallace said he’s had casual conversations about a Cup alliance with RCR. Wallace said his shop facilities in Mooresville, N.C. would be adequate for a Cup team. The team currently does its own bodies there and has a large fabrication area.
How would this affect his ESPN contract?

Allmendinger gets sponsorship thru Sept. 12th at Richmond

Petty out of reach, but will Gordon catch Pearson?

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Changes at the top coming to ISC
By David Poole - Staff Writer
Tuesday, Apr. 14, 2009

Jim France will step down as chief executive officer of International Speedway Corporation effective June 1 with Lesa Kennedy succeeding him in that role.

Jim France is the son of NASCAR founder Bill France Sr., brother of former NASCAR chairman Bill France Jr. and uncle of current NASCAR chairman Brian France. Brian France is Lesa Kennedy’s brother.

Jim France will retain his role as chairman of ISC’s board of directors. Lesa Kennedy will remain vice chair of the ISC board.

“While I will miss being involved in the daily operations of ISC, I will continue to provide strategic oversight and support to Lesa and the rest of the ISC senior management team,” Jim France said in a memo to ISC employees. “Under Lesa’s outstanding leadership, the company’s Board of Directors has every confidence that ISC will remain a dynamic and successful company for many years to come.”

John Saunders, currently the executive vice president and chief operating officer of ISC, will take over as ISC president – the title previously held by Lesa Kennedy.

Roger VanDerSnick, currently senior vice president of marketing and business operations, becomes executive vice president and chief operating officer. Daniel Houser moves from vice president to senior vice president while remaining chief financial officer and treasurer.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Get your picks in...the race is Saturday night so you need to do it early.

Yahoo locks in the wee hours Friday morning, FoxSports locks at 7:30PM EDT Friday. Everything else locks around race time, except I didn't look at 3M, it may lock late Friday night.

Return to “Team Activities”